Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Official SSB4 Newcomer Bets Thread

Aw, we need more Golden Sun love. Isaac as playable character! The whole Djinn rotation would be an awesome mechanic for a fighter.

Has anyone else seen the Character Creation page? It mentions Palutena, so I'm guessing it's new.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Prinny God Recognized Member Endless's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Aw, we need more Golden Sun love. Isaac as playable character! The whole Djinn rotation would be an awesome mechanic for a fighter.

Has anyone else seen the Character Creation page? It mentions Palutena, so I'm guessing it's new.
    Mii was revealed when they talked about the game, Palutena was revealed at the very end of the online conference. Dark Pit was hinted at, too.

And then there is Death

Quote Originally Posted by Endless View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

Mii was revealed when they talked about the game, Palutena was revealed at the very end of the online conference. Dark Pit was hinted at, too.
    Dark Pit had better not be playable, or had better play very different. They've done such a good job at getting rid of the palette swap characters (like Dr. Mario).

I was just saying that the Character customization stuff appears to be something they released yesterday, so I was seeing if anyone missed it.

It's not as though there's any other discussion thread for this game.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Can we get Bomberman in now so we can have three man characters?

I suppose I don't mind if you guys use this thread for general SSB4 discussion, but at the same time, it's kind of weird since this thread is mainly for the Newcomer Betting Game and people might not know discussing General SSB4 is allowed based on the title. I think making a separate thread for SSB4 Discussion should be okay, and might be better so we can avoid confusion and having to alternate between General SSB4 and the Betting Game as a topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Lord Sigma View Post
    I swapped out Samurai Goroh and Isaac for Shulk and the Chorus Men from Rhythm Heaven.
    Alright then. That'll be all the guess changes you're allowed then.

Double Post since I realized an oversight I made regarding Elite Lord Sigma's guess changes.

I forgot that Samurai Goroh has already been confirmed as an Assist Trophy, so switching him out would be rather cheap since you're essentially erasing an incorrect guess and escaping the -10 penalty when Samurai Goroh's playability has already been deconfirmed. I'll allow you to simply add Shulk, though. Switching out Isaac is okay since he hasn't been deconfirmed/practically deconfirmed.

To make things fair, I guess I should implement a guess lock on deconfirmed/practically deconfirmed characters (when I say practically deconfirmed, I mean situations like Ridley where they're heavily teased as stage cameos or anything that's not a playable character). That way, nobody can cheap out and escape the penalty of an incorrect guess once their guess has been confirmed/heavily implied to be incorrect. I'll only account for the -10 points only once the game is out and the full roster is revealed, in case Sakurai changes his mind in mid-development. After all, Sakurai always emphasizes that game elements he shows in Directs/The Official site are not final and subject to change.

To anyone who hasn't noticed yet, there is a splash page on the amiibo homesite with a bunch of character portraits. Almost all of these are (unsurprisingly) in Smash Bros. The few that aren't confirmed already include Mr. Game and Watch, Lucina, Tom Nook, and Paulina.

Given that Smash Bros. is the first game to use amiibo, and they're supposed to be integrating them as much as they can, you might want to get those guesses in quickly.

Also, I am so totally buying the Lucina figurine as soon as it comes out.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I believe two new characters were just announced today, or maybe one if it's a tag-team.

Fire Emblem's Robin (the Tactician from Fire Emblem Awakening), and Lucina. This is like WHOA.

EDIT: Adding in their announcement pictures.

Last edited by Agent Proto; 07-14-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravely Proto View Post
    I believe two new characters were just announced today, or maybe one if it's a tag-team.

Fire Emblem's Robin (the Tactician from Fire Emblem Awakening), and Lucina. This is like WHOA.
    In the immortal words of Tychus Findley: "Hell, it's about time."

I've been wondering if we'd see Pair Up show up when we got a character from Awakening, and Lucina was pretty much confirmed when she showed up on the Amiibo splash page (though I had still been worrying). But I admit I was expecting Chrom, not Robin.

Though Robin makes a lot of sense, as we need a Fire Emblem character who doesn't use swords.

They do seem to be different characters, though.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 07-14-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Resident Fire Emblem Fan Elite Lord Sigma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Evastio View Post
    Double Post since I realized an oversight I made regarding Elite Lord Sigma's guess changes.

I forgot that Samurai Goroh has already been confirmed as an Assist Trophy, so switching him out would be rather cheap since you're essentially erasing an incorrect guess and escaping the -10 penalty when Samurai Goroh's playability has already been deconfirmed. I'll allow you to simply add Shulk, though. Switching out Isaac is okay since he hasn't been deconfirmed/practically deconfirmed.

To make things fair, I guess I should implement a guess lock on deconfirmed/practically deconfirmed characters (when I say practically deconfirmed, I mean situations like Ridley where they're heavily teased as stage cameos or anything that's not a playable character). That way, nobody can cheap out and escape the penalty of an incorrect guess once their guess has been confirmed/heavily implied to be incorrect. I'll only account for the -10 points only once the game is out and the full roster is revealed, in case Sakurai changes his mind in mid-development. After all, Sakurai always emphasizes that game elements he shows in Directs/The Official site are not final and subject to change.
    It's all right; that thought didn't even cross my mind when I was making my original post.

As for the new announcements today, I think almost nobody was thinking Robin would be in the game once the Gametsu leaks gained popularity. As a Fire Emblem fan, I like both additions to the roster. My only question is whether Chrom is actually playable (even as a alternate skin for Lucina) or just involved in a Final Smash.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chrom is part of Robin's Final Smash from my understanding.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravely Proto View Post
    Chrom is part of Robin's Final Smash from my understanding.
    Yep. That definitely seemed to be the case from the video. I can't imagine one character using another character in a combo special attack, so that would confirm Chrom as NPC.

Also, have they removed every transformation? No Sheik/Zelda, no Pokémon Trainer, no Samus/Zero Suit Samus. Did they not like the mechanic or something?
    Last edited by Skyblade; 07-14-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Resident Fire Emblem Fan Elite Lord Sigma's Avatar

IGN confirmed that Chrom is not playable. I also fixed my original post per what Evastio said. I'll take my 20 point penalty now.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Damn I should've kept Robin in my bet, but so far only one character from my list didn't make it in or hasn't yet.

Is Sakurai trolling us?

Lucina's picture includes the Question Mark (reminding me of the Yuna??? pic during the concert in FFX-2, which was really LeBlanc in disguise), and she doesn't have a direct video link in her reveal page, unlike every other newcomer (though that could just be because Robin took that vid). Her moveset appears to be almost identical to Marth's, with a slight change to Dancing Blade (which could easily be move customization) being the only noted difference.

Granted, she could be faster (Marth was confirmed to be slowed down some, so Lucina could take his place as the faster version), and have different hitboxes with her sword, similar to the way Roy had when he was in Melee. But I think there's a very distinct possibility that she's an alternate costume, like Wire-frame Mac.

Now, I'm all for alternate characters as alternate costumes (where is my Megaman.exe alternate costume, Sakurai?), especially if they're getting unique animations (such as her removing her mask) or attacks (there's also a picture of her on the reveal page with an aerial sword attack that seems different to Marth's). But I want her to be her own character. I want a Lucina amiibo (which I thought was more hope for the confirmation, but Isabelle is on that same splash page, and she's just an Assist Trophy).

I don't know what to think, but I'm kind of sad now.