Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you rely on reviews?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Do you rely on reviews?

Lately, there's been suggested a big correlation between game reviews and commercial success, with companies referring to target metascores as if that will gauge how popular the game will become.

I think this is interesting because I don't think I've ever bought or passed on a game based on a review. I tend to stick to franchises and studios I'm a fan of; I know what I'm getting into and I'm rarely disappointed. Every now and then I go off of recommendations from irl friends or posters on here such as Wolf, Forsaken, Skyblade and Neocracker.

Have video game reviews ever influenced a purchasing decision for you?

Blog Entries

Nope. I don't usually even know what things got fro scores until long after they're out.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Not really. I take into account what I hear about a game, but ultimately, I'll get a game if I feel that I will enjoy it. I often find myself enjoying games that don't get the highest ratings/rave reviews. A friend's recommendation also means more to me than a "professional" review.

Reviews are good, but they're not the be-all-end-all for a game purchase for me.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I rely heavily on reviews, but I don't pay too much attention to review scores. I'm somewhat particular in what I like in a game, so I am much more interested in reading the actual reviewers description of how the game plays. Often times I will disagree with what they liked/disliked, but it gives me information I need to judge the game according to my preferences.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Resident Fire Emblem Fan Elite Lord Sigma's Avatar

I look for reviewers whose tastes and perspectives align closely with my own. For example, as polarizing as Jim Sterling can be, I find his views on any given game to be compelling more often than not, so I often see what he has to say on a game if I'm on the fence.

At the same time, I think demos and trials are an equally valuable tool to gauge a game's value to me. For example, Gotham City Impostors didn't get the best reviews across the boad, but what I played of it during its beta on the 360 was enough to convince me to give it a go. As a result, I discovered that I liked the game a lot; I still play it from time to time.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I may refer to them on games I've been waivering on trying.

Articles

I wouldn't say I "rely" on them, but sometimes if I'm trying to decide between a few new games to play, i'll check out to see what reviews have to say about them to make my decision a little easier.
    You think a minor thing like the end of the world was gonna do me in?

I don't rely on them but they have been useful a couple times. Like the new Sim City. I wanted it, but after I learned how much ass it blew I decided not to buy it.

Same with FF XIV

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

It depends? I will at least check them out for a general idea if I know nothing about the game. Unless it's coming in as like a 2/10 or something, I usually play it anyway. I don't hate really anything so I'll enjoy most games.

I usually have my games pre-orded before Reviews start coming in, so no.

I generally look at them though, and occasionally I'll buy a game I wasn't sure on if it gets a lot of good reviews. However if I didnt' care about the game to begin with, reviews aren't going to mean a thing for me.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

For the most part I heavily rely on reviews to clue me in on which games may be best for me. There are some games I would buy regardless of the review or score (Final Fantasy and other big name RPGs mostly). But there are many more games that I would have never have played if it wasn't for favorable reviews (The Walking Dead and Red Dead Redemption come to mind). There are also others that I would have otherwise purchased if it not for some negative reviews (Metroid: Other M and God of War: Ascension). Reviews are very useful to me.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I don't rely on them to decide my purchase, but like Velo & DDLA mentioned earlier in this thread, I rely on them to give me information about a game I might be interested in such as how the game plays and allow myself to make my own decision over whether anything mentioned in the review is a dealbreaker or a dealmaker.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I wouldn't say I rely on them, but I read them from time to time, mainly on fansites (Fighters' Generation is one that I go to for fighters; GREAT website for reviews since the webmaster really knows what he's talking about). I don't read reviews on the major sites like IGN or Gamespot, since I don't like all the behind-the-scenes politics or how they're usually being bribed by publishers to give glowing reviews of major western releases. Generally, if it's not something I was hyped for before release, I prefer taking the word-of-mouth approach and checking out games that I hear ordinary people rave about. This was how I discovered the greatness of stuff like ICO or Kid Icarus: Uprising, for example.

Depends on the game.

If it's a franchise game, I don't always care as much (like fire emblem for instance) but other games I'll check because some games do tend to throw in stupid things sometimes.

Or you'll get new games which look very good and have interesting new ideas but they're so lackluster you might as well keep that money for groceries instead...

Usually franchise reviews are over-rated.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I use them, yeah. Though I've found I enjoy games if they blindside me out of nowhere and I've not kept up with the hype of them.