Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy Versus XIII becomes Final Fantasy XV #E32013

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I must concede I was hoping FFXV would be a completely new game so I would have two games to look forward to instead one xD
    Same here. I really wanted to have Versus and XV, but I'm not complaining since this is looking fantastic.
    I like Kung-Fu.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Also, I'm a huge fan and proponent of female characters, and this game is clearly only gonna have males in the main playable cast, something that hasn't happened since FF1 (or FF3, if you wanna count the original version and not the DS remake). So that's pretty much another point against its favor.

I'm hoping I'm proven wrong, but I'm not as optimistic as the rest of you are.
    Where is it 'clear' that there'll be no female playable characters?
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

I see 3 females in the headline image. Like in all Final Fantasies since 4.

But, man, am I the only one who sees the drinking game? "They said crystal, take a shot!"

Really, though, it looks extremely good. And maybe this is what Final Fantasy needs to spur its fans back into the following. I'm going to at least give it a shot, assuming I can get my hands on a PS4 (Which, with KHIII being on it, I WILL). And, yes, that Leviathan... Looks so sleek and pretty. I can't wait for that fight.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Am I the first to say that the game doesn't look like a Final Fantasy? I guess it's an action game? Splitting hairs here, the trailer looked awesome and of course I'll play it.
    Well, as a counterpoint, I think an action RPG approach could be the shot in the arm the series needs. Not saying that turn-based combat can't work anymore, but it seems like they've tried to add so much action into the turn-based format that it turned into a mess with XIII. XIII's combat was reasonably fun, but only after what... 12 hours of gameplay?

Color me excited. I'd like to see more general in-game footage since obviously they selected for the high points. But I was actually thinking the other day how much I loved God of War's setpiece environments but hated the general atmosphere of the games (too much unnecessary violence). Seeing SE take that sort of approach with so much damn style has me intrigued. I'm generally okay with companies trying to reboot a series' image if it's done well, so I'm cautiously optimistic about it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Am I the first to say that the game doesn't look like a Final Fantasy? I guess it's an action game?

I'll probably still play it because its Final Fantasy, but I'm actually significantly less excited after watching the trailer.

I don't really like action games so I hope there's a lot more RPG to it than the trailer shows.
    Last edited by Pumpkin; 06-11-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Again, I think the game looks really cool and I am going to play it, but turn-based combat has been one of the few things that has stayed traditional in FF games, and it's been something that has been lacking greatly in this (and the next) generation of consoles, from SE in particular. Up until now if someone were to ask you, 'what is the recipe for a main FF game?' then turn-based combat would be on the list.

I love action RPGs too and Square has made several great ones over the years and I expect no less from this one. I guess I'm just in the camp that wishes this was the start of a new IP rather than being the inevitable FFXV. For one, it puts a lot more pressure on the game which may not be a good thing for it. I guess I'm just greedy.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I'm just really concerned that there might not be any playable female characters. On top of that I wouldn't want all PCs to just be Noctis' gang either. I'd prefer to meet different and unique PCs as the game progresses rather than just play as the main character and his friends. But the jury is still out on that one and hopefully there will be other and more interesting PCs. Otherwise this game looks like a breath of fresh air for the FF series.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
    I'm just really concerned that there might not be any playable female characters. On top of that I wouldn't want all PCs to just be Noctis' gang either. I'd prefer to meet different and unique PCs as the game progresses rather than just play as the main character and his friends. But the jury is still out on that one and hopefully there will be other and more interesting PCs. Otherwise this game looks like a breath of fresh air for the FF series.
    Yeah I definitely don't like it when all or most of the PCs are just the friends of the main character. I like it when you gather up characters along your journey with diverse backgrounds and motivations. Xenoblade Chronicles did this well, The Last Story did not. FFXIII did this to some extent though the only character you acquired later in the game was Fang, and she was already related to another PC.

I also really hope you can change leader and control multiple characters in battle rather than always being Noctis. I'm fine if he's the only one you play in towns and such but I hope in battle we get more diversity.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    So, PS3 owners who got their system partially for Versus are now required to buy an entirely new system for this game after waiting an entire console generation for it.

Wut?
    Yeha, I'm sort of mad about that too, because I really wasn't planning on going next-gen this time.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You know what I'm worried about?

It's fun now 'cause we know the game's alive and everything looks amazing.

But there was no release date yet again...

I fear that in a year we will yet again be saying it's vaporwear because we haven't seen a trailer since now.

Though it does seem like a lot of progress has been made. And I do believe they were holding out with the info due to it being released on an unannounced system. So let's just hope we'll be updated more often from now on.

Whether it's this game or not, you imagine they'll have to release a FFXV at some point, sooner rather than later.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    So, PS3 owners who got their system partially for Versus are now required to buy an entirely new system for this game after waiting an entire console generation for it.

Wut?
    That's a pretty dumb thing to try and kick a fuss up over really. If it was Sony making this game I could understand it, slightly. But Sony aren't really responsible for the politics and development cycles of third-party companies. No-one forced you to buy the PS3 - you could have just waited until the game was out before even buying the console.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Just checked FF Wiki, and yes, she was. So that's 3 that had (up until now) the only all-male cast.
    Hey, we don't know all of the characters yet. There are at least a couple of girls in that headline image they're using showing off characters, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them becomes playable.
    Again, per FF Wiki, those girls are pretty clearly antagonists and/or villains.
    Vote in my EoFF Popularity Poll for every game and character in the series thus far: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8N6VZ98!

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Yeah it's a shame. Stella really interests me but likewise really curious to see how it pans out in general.

I'd be astonished if the were no female playable characters. It's about as likely to happen as a FFVII remake (famous last words).