Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will this Phoenix Down the FF franchise?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    That's like rule number two to playing an RPG.
    What's rule number one?

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Rule one is TALK TO EVERYONE
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I only talk to about half the NPCs, and I do fine. I only do it to get free trout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    That's like rule number two to playing an RPG.
    What's rule number one?
    Rule one is DO ALL OF THE FIGHTS AND THEN DO SOME MORE BECAUSE YOU KNOW THERE WILL BE ONE JERK BOSS WHO MAKES YOU REGRET THAT TIME YOU JUST WALKED UP TO HIM IN A STRAIGHT LINE AND ONLY DID 40 FIGHTS INSTEAD OF 208.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I thought Rule Number One was to save constantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's rule number 3.

Silly.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

What kind of wannabe RPG player doesn't talk to NPCs? I suppose it could just be a remnant of old school games where you had to talk to everyone because otherwise you'd have no idea where to go or wtf to do unless you talked (sometimes twice) to that one random person in the little house on the northeast side of the village, but I still do talk to NPCs. Having them around also just adds to immersion, making the towns feel more real and significant. I definitely missed NPCs in FFXIII, like many others.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionblade View Post
    And for the love of god, HIRE GOOD ENGLISH VOICE ACTORS.​ I wanted to strangle Vanille.
    I came to begrudgingly accept her voice. While there are moments that are certainly intolerable, it was... alright. I did like that both her and Fang at Australian accents to differentiate them as Pulsian.
    There's nothing wrong with her voice actor. All the wrongs are with the directors themselves. When the director tells the voice actor to use a squeaky japanese-y voice (they actually do this), this is what you get, every time. Directors need to start understanding that high pitched voices often sound a lot less natural (and/or tolerable) in the english language than they do in the japanese language. See also: Every NIS game in existence.

Until they understand this, it won't matter which voice actor they hire for their genki girl, they'll all end up terrible.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionblade View Post
    And for the love of god, HIRE GOOD ENGLISH VOICE ACTORS.​ I wanted to strangle Vanille.
    I came to begrudgingly accept her voice. While there are moments that are certainly intolerable, it was... alright. I did like that both her and Fang at Australian accents to differentiate them as Pulsian.
    Until they understand this, it won't matter which voice actor they hire for their genki girl, they'll all end up terrible.
    Fair point. I wish that archetype would disappear.

it's always so much longer than you counted on.
    but you don't worry, you don't worry.
    cause you've got soul.

A good director for the localized spoken dialogue is ABSOLUTELY PARAMOUNT. Someone who knows what people are supposed to smurfing sound like, what a "natural delivery" is.

It's astounding how BADLY this particular aspect has been totally smurfED in recent installments.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    What kind of wannabe RPG player doesn't talk to NPCs? I suppose it could just be a remnant of old school games where you had to talk to everyone because otherwise you'd have no idea where to go or wtf to do unless you talked (sometimes twice) to that one random person in the little house on the northeast side of the village, but I still do talk to NPCs. Having them around also just adds to immersion, making the towns feel more real and significant. I definitely missed NPCs in FFXIII, like many others.
    Huh,It differ from game to game, some of older RPGs let you progress as you go to dungeons directly and towns act as rest/shop only without any events.
    16/32bit is were RPGs became talky and annoying.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

I suppose it could just be a remnant of old school games where you had to talk to everyone because otherwise you'd have no idea where to go or wtf to do unless you talked (sometimes twice) to that one random person in the little house on the northeast side of the village, but I still do talk to NPCs.
    I AM ERROR.

LET'S LIVE HERE TOGETHER.

HELLO!

I'M SORRY, I KNOW NOTHING!

Good old helpful NPCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    I suppose it could just be a remnant of old school games where you had to talk to everyone because otherwise you'd have no idea where to go or wtf to do unless you talked (sometimes twice) to that one random person in the little house on the northeast side of the village, but I still do talk to NPCs.
    I AM ERROR.

LET'S LIVE HERE TOGETHER.

HELLO!

I'M SORRY, I KNOW NOTHING!

Good old helpful NPCs.
    I AM MUCH TOO BUSY TO TALK TO A STRANGER.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post

Consider that the moment you power on Final Fantasy (the NES game), you're given nothing but a blue screen with words materializing for you to read. The implication is entirely clear: illiterates need not apply. This was a game that was asking a very simple question of you right away: "Can you read?"

I actually taught myself how to read when I was seven years old just to play the first Final Fantasy. Before, despite efforts from teachers and my parents, I just absolutely refused to learn how to read. I was a very stubborn child.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

Fascinating! So you never read anything before Final Fantasy?