Thread: Nomura: Final Fantasy XV Could Have Its Own Mini-Series

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Default Nomura: Final Fantasy XV Could Have Its Own Mini-Series

Final Fantasy XV game designer Tetsuya Nomura sat down with the Japanese magazine Famitsu for an interview where he discussed the newly-announced addition to the Final Fantasy series.

With the last single-player entry in the main series, Final Fantasy XIII, there was an entire series built around Lightning, who became Final Fantasy’s new star. Nomura indicated that the same sort of thing may be in the future for FFXV, admitting that the “World of the VERSUS epic” phrase in the gameplay trailer was meant to indicate that FFXV may only be part of the story.

Nomura did try assuage fans by stating that Final Fantasy XV will have its own satisfying closing, but that it would be one part of a more grand tale. He also acknowledged that it is difficult to hold players’ attentions for extended times over multiple game development periods, and said that he would be looking into additional online elements to add to FFXV, with more details to come later.

While this news is certainly not surprising after FFXIII and the Lightning Saga, critics of those games are not likely to be pleased by this news. But if FFXV actually lives up to the hype it received when it was still labeled Versus-XIII, maybe Nomura can turn some of those detractors into believers.

[Source: Famitsu, via NeoGAF]

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't have a problem with spinoff games but I hope the story is complete in this game with a satisfying conclusion. FFX-FFXIII all had sequels but the main game was pretty self-contained. Hopefully it's more like that than like FFXIII-2, because the ending of that game was handled horribly.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I don't have a problem with spinoff games but I hope the story is complete in this game with a satisfying conclusion. FFX-FFXIII all had sequels but the main game was pretty self-contained. Hopefully it's more like that than like FFXIII-2, because the ending of that game was handled horribly.
    Agreed.

I basically came here to say that I don't mind if they do this as long as a.) the story has continuity and flow, unlike the FFVII Compilation and b.) the game itself is good enough to warrant such an anthology (unlike, arguably, FFXIII).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

FFXIII's sequels were not to continue the story but were more in response to the criticism of the previous game. Which probably would have worked better if they had just created a new IP for them.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Well, hopefully they get it right the first time with FFXV--and I sincerely hope that they will--and its sequels/companion games will be viewed as and addition to the world and the story, rather than a retroactive attempt to correct mistakes from the original game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I'm going to wait on my excitement over this until I play the game. If I love it I'll have no problems with sequels. If I hate it well I'll probably still be okay with sequels as long as FF games are being made, I just might not play it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

As long as the game doesn't make its own storyline and characters more and less obsolete a la FFVII I'm cool with this. Uninterested, but cool with this.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

To add to this, Nomura was also asked in the same interview if the game is going to disappear again for the next 6 years like Versus XIII did.

He replied that it wouldn't, it was a lot further along and they are going to be sharing updates regularly. He said we can expect a lot more info at the Tokyo Game Show this year.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Eh. Tired of sequels and prequels.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Banned

It's been a while since a Final Fantasy game stood alone. Why does everything have to be a series these days?

BECAUSE TRILOGIES are the new 90min movie. In another 40 years, each installment will encompass 5 titles jumping right past 4 because 4 is both too many and too few. It's simple math really. If you multiply the coefficient by the least common variable, the result is no one cares about the one game anymore. More fans than you will be more disappointed with the fact that a game (or movie) didn't get a sequel than those who are disappointed with how the sequel turned out. This is the world today. Live in it.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Final Fantasy XIII
    Final Fantasy Agito XIII
    Final Fantasy Versus XIII

These were supposed to be three seperate 'XIII' games with the same mythos. Well, they made a sequel to XIII......it was, well you know what it was. Now XIII-3 Lightning Returns! Ohh look our first Fianl Fantasy Trilogy. Wait, didn't we already have a trilogy sort of thing with the Fabula Nova Crystallis thing? Not a connected trilogy but basically a non related trilogy? Ok.

Final Fantasy Agito XIII, now Type -0 - Ok now things are really getting screwed up. Oh wait there's more, Type - 0 has its own trilogy sub series too right? OK.

Final Fantasy Versus 13.....now FF 15 with sequels already in the make.

Why didnt they just say, ok people FF XIII will be a trilogy, FF 15 will be a trilogy, FF type 0 will be a trilogy. that wpuld have saved a lot of years of complete bulltrout. Anyone agree???