Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Default Some people in Japan aren't happy about the look of FFXV

Interesting... I bet if it were to come out that most of the characters are in high school, they'd end up being fine with the idea. "Entertainment based on reality sucks (unless you glorify the idea of high school)."

I'm thinking Persona or something. I'm willing to see what they do with it. FF7 and 8 had interesting modern'esque worlds. I am one of the haters of FF8, but its really not because of the modern'ish style world they created

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Kotaku managing to find crap to say about a Final Fantasy game? I won't believe it.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

You mean, someone, somewhere, didn't like something about something? I'm stunned! /sarcasm

I can see why they'd find it a bit boring, but I personally think the semi-modern day/parallel universe setting is cool. I like games like these, because it's easier to get involved and believe you're really there, than it is to be in a totally imaginary world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I've always found it funny, and a tad embarrassing, how sites like Kotaku talk about Japan as if Japan is a hivemind, and base the entire country's collective view of something off of posts they found on 2ch, and then from that, try to make it newsworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Kotaku managing to find crap to say about a Final Fantasy game? I won't believe it.
    They truly are the worst widely followed source of gaming journalism.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Banned

I don't understand. Urban fantasy is a thing. I like the way they've combined the ordinary with the extraordinary here, it works in my head.

Some in Japan are like some every else - they don't exactly know what they want but they'll complain about anything and everything.

That and as previously mentioned, Kotaku.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Final Fantasy game (that isn't FFVI or FFVII) in dividing opinion shocker!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

It's still Fantasy like I mean c'mon.... a Prince who has red eyes and can sense people's death ? It's just a more realistic like Fantasy.

Did they complain when Final Fantasy VIII looked more realistic way back when ?

Though I can see why they wouldn't be happy, a more realistic fantasy is more fitting towards Western tastebuds. I do prefer the more FF IX- esque approach and hopefully they do bring that back one Final Fantasy, but for now Final Fantasy XV feels too refreshing to pass up. Sorry Japan, but I understand your feels on this.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

More like Boring Asscraft, amirite?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    To be fair, Wes wrote that amazing article about us on there, so I still have some respect for certain journalists who go there. I just think that there is definitely a consistency from Kotaku when it comes to finding any reason to slag off Square-Enix they can think of. Someone out there seems to have a grudge.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    To be fair, Wes wrote that amazing article about us on there, so I still have some respect for certain journalists who go there. I just think that there is definitely a consistency from Kotaku when it comes to finding any reason to slag off Square-Enix they can think of. Someone out there seems to have a grudge.
    True, true. My Kotaku bashing is never aimed at him and that was a fantastic article indeed.

Doesn't change my opinion of the site as a whole though.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Kotaku gets a lot of flack but all that article is doing is reposting comments some Japanese gamers have made but how the game has lost it's fantasy feel for them because it seems to incorporate so many things that they see in their everyday lives. It's an interesting view really because these are supposed to be fantasy words and not alternate dimensions/near death experiences like in The World Ends With You.

For example if Final Fantasy XVI came out and the bulk of it was set in New York City and there were replica Yellow Cabs around and people pissing in dark alleyways it'd probably reduce the immersion for some people. This is what the article is highlighting that in a series that usually whisks us away to these wonderful new worlds but in XV some of it is a little too close to home for some people.

Personally I never would've known about the toll booths or police cars before now.

I thought it was quite interesting because there's already people here on this forum too saying it looks too modern or realistic for their liking. So whilst Kotaku does deserve some of the flack it gets I think just going dismissing it here is a bit meh.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, I get that, I'm just pointing out that Kotaku tend to find the negative feedback and ignore the positive, which is what I'm assuming (I can't see it at work) they have done in that article. In our threads, we see both perspectives. Kotaku will (deliberately?) target only the negative perspectives and turn that into 'news', which puts the game in a poor light in the eyes of people who are looking for a quick bit of information to help them to decide whether or not to follow a game. I'm not very fond of news done in such a manner.