Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some people in Japan aren't happy about the look of FFXV

YOU DONT KNOW YET!?!?!? FFFFsephychibi's Avatar

I have a feeling maybe for parts of the game we will see familiar stuff, but then other parts of the game we will not. I don't think there's anything wrong with deriving from real life for inspiration.

I honestly am seeing this more as a storytelling element, maybe even a political storytelling element. But maybe the stuff we are seeing is going to be used in a different way. There's also nothing wrong with using real life things as propaganda or political commentary in a game, happens in art all the time for thousands of years, even in old japanese woodblock prints. Every piece of art is essentially propaganda, any bit of media, it's portraying something in a way you want to make your audience feel, with also conveying a message. So maybe that was the intent of using similar elements of today in final fantasy 15, which would make sense with everything tetsuya has said so far about the concept being darker and showing human emotion etc. Maybe he wants to show a darker side of elements he's familiar with, and not sugar coat things?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I really don't understand the complaint about it looking too real. A lot of the past FF's have had an urban fantasy setting. It's just now the PS4 can SHOW the details.

Has anyone read this yet? Final Fantasy XV's director on art, the modern setting and crazy hair - NBC News.com Maybe this will easy some peoples worry about the non-fantasy element?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by FFFFsephychibi View Post
    Has anyone read this yet? Final Fantasy XV's director on art, the modern setting and crazy hair - NBC News.com Maybe this will easy some peoples worry about the non-fantasy element?
    Pro-tip: Kotaku was exaggerating about it.

Even if it's exaggerated, does it matter? What if that's information ends up being true?

Im pretty sure the 2 trailers we got recently, were in the same place the entire time. We have not seen the rest of the game, so the possibility of the landscape changing like that is very possible. Remember in one of the earlier trailers from 2011, where you see everyone running around in open grassy field which seems to be a world map? It's entirely possible if we actually get a world map. We also saw airships in the trailer, and mechs in an earlier one.

FF15: Start in a big castle, escape an attack or war, then later (potentially) deposited into an open grassy world map. It's sounds and looks like a classic final fantasy canon to me...

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I really don't understand the complaint about it looking too real. A lot of the past FF's have had an urban fantasy setting. It's just now the PS4 can SHOW the details.
    This.

Final Fantasy VII would have looked a lot like this had the technology been available at the time.

Coincidentally, from the NBC interview:
    Nomura: "So if you look at "FFXV," it starts in a very modern world similar to Shinjuku (in downtown Tokyo), but when the story starts, you go to the medieval world — but the weapons they are using are high tech-weapons; that kind of combo is what I like.
    Sounds just like Final Fantasy VII actually.
    Last edited by DMKA; 06-15-2013 at 04:02 AM.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by FFFFsephychibi View Post
    Even if it's exaggerated, does it matter? What if that's information ends up being true?

Im pretty sure the 2 trailers we got recently, were in the same place the entire time. We have not seen the rest of the game, so the possibility of the landscape changing like that is very possible. Remember in one of the earlier trailers from 2011, where you see everyone running around in open grassy field which seems to be a world map? It's entirely possible if we actually get a world map. We also saw airships in the trailer, and mechs in an earlier one.

FF15: Start in a big castle, escape an attack or war, then later (potentially) deposited into an open grassy world map. It's sounds and looks like a classic final fantasy canon to me...
    Plus, I'm pretty sure the trailers we last saw take place in a different city than the previous ones.

edit: After having read the article, I must say I find it awesome how Nomura respects Amano so much
    Last edited by Fynn; 06-15-2013 at 07:37 AM.

Reading through the posts on that forum they linked, I can't help feeling that it's some sort of bizzaro-Eyes on Final Fantasy. It's surreal. Many of the same complaints or praise that we make is there. I like it.

A couple of the remarks are about the main character looking to much like a host, which made me laugh a bit.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Some people not in Japan are also upset.

Some elitist rich people like to complain about videogames. My personal favourite is to criticize old rock records. However, there ARE better ways to spend your time! You CAN move on with your life! You CAN further your education! You CAN get a better job! You CAN focus on your interests - when you retire! Or - get past high school, university, or whatever. Enjoy your free time! Enjoy it well!