40. You may not vote on this poll
  • PS3

8 20.00%
  • PS4

2 5.00%
  • PC

30 75.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What platform are you getting this on?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Pretty sure that Sony has stated that games with additional online fees will not require PSN+ to function on the PS4.

Makes sense, considering Sony wouldn't require any servers or things like that for those games to function.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Can you cite a source on that? All I see is this, which doesn't confirm what you said:

Quote Originally Posted by Shuhei Yoshida
    This will also depend on the judgment by the publishers, and there will be some free-to-play titles that you’ll be able to play without needing a PS Plus subscription, like PlanetSide 2 and DC Universe Online.
    So you may not have to pay for PS Plus to play FFXIV, but you would need to pay for both XIV and PS Plus if you want to play any other games online anyway. Get ready, wallet, here comes PS4.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

"Depend on the judgement by the publishers". Sony isn't the publisher of FFXIV, so it's up to SE then. I can't imagine SE wanting FF14 to require PSN+ in addition to their own subscription fees. What would SE gain from that, except a terrible(r) reputation?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I don't really understand judgment by the publishers, because what if they all say that their players don't need to pay the PS Plus fee? Or what if they all decide to manage their own subscriptions? Seems kind of sloppy.

The best solution would be to have no FFXIV fee on PS4 but to require a PS Plus subscription. That way, you don't have to pay two (or more!) fees if you want to play more than one game online.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

After trying the Beta on PC this weekend I surprising enjoy the PS3 version a lot more. The controls are smoother and even though I had the PC stuff set to superultrahigh graphics the PS3 version actually looked better. Editing the poll the reflect my change of heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    After trying the Beta on PC this weekend I surprising enjoy the PS3 version a lot more. The controls are smoother and even though I had the PC stuff set to superultrahigh graphics the PS3 version actually looked better. Editing the poll the reflect my change of heart.
    Interesting. How are the controls smoother? I'm assuming you haven't tried using a PS3 controller on your PC, because when you do, it's exactly the same controls. The better thing about PC (for me) is that I can have a keyboard, mouse, and gamepad all plugged in at once and use them all comfortably (the mouse is EXTREMELY handy). My slim PS3 only has two USB ports, so if the controller is dying, I can't use all three peripherals.

Also, I'm not sure how you think the PS3 looks better. Maybe you have a bad graphics card, but the level of detail on "Maximum" graphics is way higher than on PS3, which uses just about the lowest settings for everything. You should be able to see a very clear difference in shadows (SO jagged on PS3), grass quality, and overall texture quality. Plus, something about the text is easier to read on PC; I think it could be better hinting, not too sure yet. The other huge difference is that PS3 seems to be running at 30fps or lower (I had a lot of slowdown on PS3), while on PC you can get 60fps or more.

These are the precise reasons (same or better controls, better graphics) that made me order the PC version.
    Last edited by comma; 07-09-2013 at 01:03 AM.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by comma View Post
    The best solution would be to have no FFXIV fee on PS4 but to require a PS Plus subscription. That way, you don't have to pay two (or more!) fees if you want to play more than one game online.
    Except that doesn't make any sense because then people on the PS4 are paying less than $5 a month for a game that everyone else is getting charged more than twice that to play. The reason FFXIV has a fee is because Square Enix fronts the cost of server maintenance and upkeep as well as continued funding for regular content patches and updates.

The reason that PS+ and XBL can even remotely justify charging fees is because they're the ones who maintain the multiplayer servers, and they're the ones who see that money. Paying a fee for PS+ means that Square Enix doesn't see much (if any) of that small fee. If SE maintains the servers, they should be the ones who charge the fee. If you want to play other games on your PS4 multiplayer, that has nothing to do with Square Enix.

Only MMORPGs are going to have a fee separate from PS+, and they won't require PS+. The reason that FFXIV won't be on the Xbox One is exactly because Microsoft refuses to allow any online games without a Gold Membership requirement. FFXI worked with a Silver Membership, but that was before Xbox changed their policies and back when Microsoft was actually trying to get some market share in Japan and openly courting Square Enix's support.

Okay, you convinced me.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I sort of doubt I'll be getting this but if I do someday then PC for sure. Even if I had a PS3 or PS4. Playing an MMO on a console is such a weird, weird concept to me :O_O:
    Haha, seriously. It just seems bizarre to me, and I do have a PS3.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Gonna get it on PC, and I pre-ordered my collector's edition last week.

Articles
    Blog Entries

PC is the only choice for an MMO.

Blog Entries

I played FFXI on the PS2 and enjoyed it a good deal, even without learning how to use macros properly. I was awful at FFXI.

I've gotten a little bit more interested in PC gaming since then, and I think I wouldn't mind playing it on the PC. That is, of course, if I ever do play this.

I was going to get this on the PS3, but I think I'm now going to get it on my PC instead. After running the benchmark I can apparently run it on high settings, which isn't ideal but still better than having to use skype on my phone for raids. ><

Articles
    Blog Entries

If I EVER get this game, literally the only version I could get this on is the PS3. The PS4 hasn't been released yet (and damn if I'm going purchase the console at launch with my funds, along with the game and subscription) and I don't have a PC that could even begin to play it on even the bare minimum of settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    If I EVER get this game, literally the only version I could get this on is the PS3. The PS4 hasn't been released yet (and damn if I'm going purchase the console at launch with my funds, along with the game and subscription) and I don't have a PC that could even begin to play it on even the bare minimum of settings.
    I managed to play it on lowish settings, but I got like about 20-30 FPS. It was not a pleasant experience.