Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't agree to the Terms of Service...

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default I don't agree to the Terms of Service...

Can you return your game for a full refund? Say you buy one of Blizzard's games in the stores, then actually bother to read the ToS and decide "no, I don't want that".

BTW if you're one of the 99.9% of people who never read Terms of Service, you may be interested in the WIP-Project tosdr.org. It's a website that makes summaries of the Terms of Service of several online services.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    BTW if you're one of the 99.9% of people who never read Terms of Service, you may be interested in the WIP-Project tosdr.org. It's a website that makes summaries of the Terms of Service of several online services.
    I have had this as a Firefox extension for a while. It's handy for the few websites it does cover, sadly it doesn't cover very many.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think in theory you're supposed to be able to take it back if you don't agree to the ToS, but I have no idea how that would work in practice.

In the EU you are entitled to a refund on pretty much anything as long as you request it within two weeks of receipt. Even Gaben must bow to this.

Blog Entries

I wonder this as well, since some games and services have some crazy trout you have to agree to before you can play them/use them.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

You certainly can, although it's a very lengthy and annoying process. You often have to take it up with the company in question in addition to the retailer.

But it can certainly be done.

I do read them these days. It's amazing how quickly you can get through them once you've read a couple and understand the semi-legal-jargon they use.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

There are cases of Linux geeks buying a computer with Windows pre-installed and then refusing to accept the Windows TOS and getting a refund for the price of the Windows OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    There are cases of Linux geeks buying a computer with Windows pre-installed and then refusing to accept the Windows TOS and getting a refund for the price of the Windows OS.
    Ah, Linux geeks.

I think Extra Credits said it best:

"Oh, and Sony, a word to the wise: DO NOT TANGLE WITH THE KIND OF PEOPLE WHO INSTALL LINUX ON THEIR PLAYSTATIONS. Trust me, you are wasting your time."
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

In theory, yes. At the very least the company who put the ToS in place should refund you if the retailer won't.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Valve are bros.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I like their point about why someone would choose to play a game they knew would be violent, and then gets upset about blasphemy, but I think it's cool they respected his position and feeling and refunded him his money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm pleased Valve refunded him but uh... if things in videogames are that big a deal to him, doesn't a game about killing loads of dudes kind of consist of far greater blasphemy than his shootymans getting baptized?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    I'm pleased Valve refunded him but uh... if things in videogames are that big a deal to him, doesn't a game about killing loads of dudes kind of consist of far greater blasphemy than his shootymans getting baptized?
    Those were my thoughts, as well as the thoughts of the person who wrote the article! As someone who spent a looooot of time in a protestant church, games like these are definitely outright taboo. Not video games in general, just a game with so much violence.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I didn't read most of the article because I want to keep myself from spoilers but it seemed like a valid enough complaint to me.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It was a very, very short article, hardly longer than a paragraph. From my understanding, it only spoiled the very beginning of the game.