View Poll Results: Who Will Win the Premier League?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Man Utd

5 23.81%
  • Man City

4 19.05%
  • Chelsea

6 28.57%
  • Some other team

6 28.57%
Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 213135363738394041424344454647 LastLast

Thread: 2013-14 English Football Season

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Is this where I can say Moyes is just a poor man's Rafa?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, sure. Today he sucked. Often I'll point to the players being sub-par but today the selection and the tactics and everything just were awful from Moyes.

I still hope we can see him get his own signings in and make his own team, though. I just really want to see what he can do, and so far we haven't seen him do much in the transfer market and his chairman has been trash in his dealings. They're supposedly quoting £25m for Fabregas. £25m. If Fabregas were up for £25m, every damned club in the PL would be able to afford him. Preferably including some actual coaches rather than all these unproven "oh, but they were United players, so" staff.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

The "get his own signings in" argument doesn't wash with me. He's spent £64m! Still, I can agree to some extent. When Rodgers came to Liverpool our scouting department didn't exist anymore, and he ended up signing players he knew - Borini and Allen - and took a lot of trout for it. Having said that, neither are doing badly this year!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    The "get his own signings in" argument doesn't wash with me. He's spent £64m!
    ...on two players, neither of which were first choice options.

Here's hoping Fellaini and Mata really kick into their stride next season a la Allen/Borini.

Articles

If you're going to pay £37m for someone who isn't a first choice option then it's your own bloody fault.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

So, convinced we're getting relegated. Although Chelsea have been losing to the bottom half of the table, Utd. have been having an off season - so maybe we can salvage 3-6 points from there before getting crushed by Arsenal.

Articles

All the major papers running with the story, it's happening tomorrow. Awful news. Utterly ridiculous appointment in the first place, but what a lovely ride it's been. Oh well. One last pleasure I get from The Moyesiah's reign...

http://home.eyesonff.com/lounge/1433...ml#post3252461

so daniel, remember that time you said Hodgson would win the league for Liverpool and all the subsequent times I brought it up?

Got myself another one to throw at you until the end of time

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I don't mind - I still think that Moyes would have, if given the time, won trophies for United. In fact, going by the support he's been given, it seems a lot of United fans do. I still believe that football managers should be given more time, but sadly it is money not football that makes such decisions in the short term.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I did think Moyes would do a good job... I think if we'd stayed in the Champions League places (maybe even 5th) then he could have kicked on from there.

The performances have been so poor though and 7th place after finishing as champions is not good enough. I understand the players should accept some responsibility to but it's up to the manager and coaches to motivate them and they simply haven't looked interested for the majority of games this season. As much as we haven't got a strong a squad as we used to, there is still a lot of quality there.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Klopp ruled himself out as a replacement. Well, there goes my preferred option. Not really sure about the rest. Van Gaal is too old to be here longer than a few seasons. Simone doesn't speak English. Eh. =/ I'd take Quieroz if only because he knows the club so well and we did very well with him in the second seat, but again, he's old and wouldn't be viable as a long term solution. Giggs is completely inexperienced as a manager. Blanc will be getting paid handsomely at PSG and I don't think he'd leave them (nor am I too clued up in his playing style).

Blog Entries

Sounds like the decision was made in February (after Olympiakos-gate) and the board have just been waiting until CL qualification was mathematically impossible so it would activate a clause in his contract. Performance-related contracts are common for big clubs so I'm inclined to believe this theory. February is also around the time I thought was the latest they could wait to give him the chop and give themselves enough time to salvage the season.

It's been an absolute catastrophe. I'm struggling to think of a change in management at a top club that has gone south in such a major way so quickly. I disagree with BoB and Bubba in that I thought from the beginning that it was an underwhelming appointment (considering the big-name managerial movements that were being made last summer) and I still think he could have been there for the next five years and never won the league; maybe finish third or fourth after a good season.

What I really hope is that this will prompt the many United fans who have been fed on a steady diet of believing their own bulltrout over the past years to actually get real and realise that there is nothing special about Manchester United then drop the 'We're United, we're different, we don't sack managers, connntinnuuuuuuiitttyyyy' rubbish. Sam Wallace in the Independent summed it up for me this morning:

Other than a bumpy ride around the late 1980s, this is a club that had convinced itself that sacking managers was something other people did, while they tutted and nodded sagely in the direction of their much-vaunted, seldom-replicated “continuity”.

As of the recent decision not to stand by David Moyes through a series of results that have gone from the bad to the disastrous, it turns out that, contrary to what you might have been told, United are just like all the others. There is no magical quality that insulates them against the possibility of managerial failure, and when push comes to shove they have no solution other than the one everyone else resorts to in the end.
    I think that is actually the main reason so many non-united fans have been enjoying their fall from grace. It's imperative that the board don't piss about this time, and get hold of someone who has experience working at big European teams, winning trophies, and has a thick book of contacts that extend beyond the Goodison Park staff phonebook.

Paddypower offering Moyes next Celtic manager at 25/1. Definitely worth a couple of quid for me.

there was a picture here

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Van Gaal is too old to be here longer than a few seasons.
    Why is this a bad thing?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I've grown to love football under Sir Alex Ferguson who was there for a very long time. I love the idea of having another manager who can do that. I want a manager who will become part of the club and have this club as their defining place rather than being a stopgap before retirement. I don't want to have every season be a "will they retire?" thing again.

Also, I want a manager who can be part of the bigger club, nurturing talent from youth and turning them into regular players. I want a manager who can mould the entire club to suit the manager's style and to reap the benefits of that over a long time, rather than having a group of players who, at every new appointment, must be chopped and changed all over again to suit another manager's style, or the manager have to "make do" with the signings of untold previous managers over the past years.

Finally, I like having a manager that has the balls to dismiss players a la Van Nistelrooy and Beckham. Someone who can do so without suffering. This kind of thing can only be achieved by having a long term manager who the fans and chairman alike will stand by and believe in. To get to that kind of trust, you need to earn it over time.

Essentially I like the manager to run the club for the long run. Long term stability was always something I felt was important in football.

Articles

It's all very noble and ideal, but there really only was one Alex Ferguson. It just doesn't work anymore - look at Wenger's Arsenal and Moyes's Everton. Wenger's first few years were phenomenal but they've stagnated and he should've been put out to pasture years ago, and despite the ridiculous media myths about Moyes's Everton which I have worked hard to dispel in this thread, Roberto Martinez's season in charge says more about how Moyes was holding them back after getting them to a decent level than I ever could.

I just don't think it benefits United being stuck in that past mindset.