View Poll Results: Who Will Win the Premier League?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Man Utd

5 23.81%
  • Man City

4 19.05%
  • Chelsea

6 28.57%
  • Some other team

6 28.57%
Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 243438394041424344454647 LastLast

Thread: 2013-14 English Football Season

As a Man Utd fan, all I seem to do these days is roll around in my own tears ;_;

Well, at least Manchester keeps the title. That's always good.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow_Magic View Post
    As a Man Utd fan, all I seem to do these days is roll around in my own tears
    Agreed.

I'm just thankful that his season is finally over. Things are looking positive at the minute for the Luke Shaw transfer (Cue last minute hijack by City or Chelsea) so that is positive. I expect us to do a lot of business before the World Cup starts.

City and Liverpool were a deserving top two I felt. Out of all the teams this season, they were the ones I most looked forward to watching. It should be an interesting Champions League campaign for the English teams next year.

Blog Entries

As a Man Utd fan

Also, Andy Carroll and Tom Cleverley on the standby list. The prophecy may yet be fulfilled.

there was a picture here

Squad is:

Hart
    Forster
    Foster

Baines
    Cahill
    Jagielka
    Johnson
    Jones
    Shaw
    Smalling

Barkley
    Gerrard
    Henderson
    Lallana
    Milner
    Lampard
    The Ox
    Wilshere
    Sterling

Welbeck
    Rooney
    Sturridge
    Lambert

Personally the only players I'd swap would be Smalling out for Stones, and Welbeck out for Defoe. Quite surprised The Ox and Wilshire made it in an after injury-hit season for both, but as long as Cleverley isn't in I really don't mind too much. I reckon Rodriguez would have gone in place of one of them had he not got injured.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by AssassinDX View Post
    Welbeck out for Defoe.
    ...why?
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AssassinDX View Post
    Welbeck out for Defoe.
    ...why?
    Seriously. The media have been tongue bathing Defoe but he's been utter wank for two years. Toronto FC is his level.

Meanwhile I'd take Welbeck over Rooney if I had to choose. He's one of those rare players who look more comfortable in an England shirt than a club one and has been more influential in England games of late than Rooney.

I'd make two changes. Cole for Baines. Yeah, controversial, but see my point above - Baines has never impressed me in an England shirt. Cole meanwhile has looked very impressive recently in games against top opposition like Liverpool and Atletico, plus will be less fatigued. If Shaw is there because we are building for the future, then 29 year old Baines - who is very impressive against the Fulhams of the world sure - is who I'd leave out.

My second would be Barry for Wilshere. Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

I'm just thankful that his season is finally over. Things are looking positive at the minute for the Luke Shaw transfer (Cue last minute hijack by City or Chelsea) so that is positive. I expect us to do a lot of business before the World Cup starts.

City and Liverpool were a deserving top two I felt. Out of all the teams this season, they were the ones I most looked forward to watching. It should be an interesting Champions League campaign for the English teams next year.
    Oh God if Luke Shaw happens I'm gonna roll around in happy tears

I'll agree that those two teams deserved to be up top - more so Liverpool than City to be honest. City are just throwing money everywhere while Brendan Rodgers has made more tactical decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    As a Man Utd fan
    Lived in Manchester (10 minutes away from Old Trafford, in fact) for 8 years. Only in London during University terms. Nice try 8D

I don't rate Welbeck, he's had a much better season than last year but I don't think he's the type of player that fits in with the current England setup. Assuming Hodgson plays two up front it'll be Sturridge and Rooney starting, and with the latter never scoring at a World Cup any hopes of getting out of the group rely mostly on Sturridge. Welbeck is a strong hold up player, but I think Lambert does that better and is a much better goal scorer. The other alternative for that role is Carroll, and we won't go there.

I think what's needed is a player who can make an impact from the bench which Defoe became somewhat renowned for in his final years at Spurs, so for most games I'd start Sturridge and Rooney, rest Sturridge for the Costa Rica game with Lambert in and if needed get Defoe on towards the end to maybe nick a goal.

I agree with you when you say you'd have Cole in for Baines, it's just a shame he threw his toys out of the pram when he got asked to be on the standby list. I detest the guy but there's no denying he's still by far England's best left back.

Articles

Fair shout, though I think Welbeck is a better "defensive" attacker than Lambert is, and I don't think his purpose is goals. Yeah, I know, strikers who don't score goals lol Heskey and all that, but it is just the way the modern game is. I don't think we'll see Welbeck up front in the middle. I think you're going to see him wide left - England will play with a front three. In fact here's how it'll be if recent games are any indicator:

Gerrard
    Wilshere* Henderson*

Sturridge - Rooney - Sterling/Welbeck

*With those two perhaps being replaceable by the Ox, Lallana, Lampard, even Barkley. A lot of options, though Wilshere and Henderson seemed to be Roy's preferred choices. We'll see where the friendlies take us.

Agreed, although I think Sturridge would be better suited playing in the middle that does seem the most likely positions for those players, Rooney does not like being played out wide and his performances will suffer if he doesn't get his way.

The friendlies should be interesting, Wilshere's made of glass so if her makes it to the tournament itself he'll start as you say, and if Henderson can carry his club form over into those friendly games he'll definitely partner Wilshere in the middle. I'd like to see Barkley get some game time in, as good as Wilshere is he's injury prone as mentioned and has a temper on him, the Italians in particular are going to wind him up something chronic I reckon.

Definitely glad this season is over. I'm looking forward to watching England play in the world cup, I really enjoy getting caught up in the inevitable over excitement and the "maybe this is our year..." talk.
    Granted it'll end with a nice group stage or 2nd round defeat, but that first game will sure be fun!

Blog Entries

Do we get a ~~special world cup dedicated thread~~?

there was a picture here

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    Do we get a ~~special world cup dedicated thread~~?
    I would assume so. Do you want to do the honours?

Articles

I don't mind doing it when I get home.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really don't see there being an upset in the cup final if I'm honest.

So yeah, Hull to win 2-0.