View Poll Results: Who do you think won the console war?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely PS3!

2 9.52%
  • Definitely Xbox360!

2 9.52%
  • Definitely Wii!

0 0%
  • PS3, but the others did come close

6 28.57%
  • Xbox360, but the others did come close

0 0%
  • Wii, but the others did come close

1 4.76%
  • PS3 & Xbox360, the Wii comes a distant third

1 4.76%
  • PS3 & Wii, the Xbox360 comes a distant third

3 14.29%
  • Xbox360 & Wii, the PS3 comes a distant third

4 19.05%
  • Too close to call. All three tied!

2 9.52%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The End Of An Era: Who Won?

Blog Entries

Anybody that thought at any point that PS3 had "no games" is sorely mistaken. Even now, PS3 has more exclusives than either of the other two systems.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Polnareff View Post
    Anybody that thought at any point that PS3 had "no games" is sorely mistaken.
    2003 begs to differ
    Figaro Castle

Articles
    Blog Entries

If you're talking sales, I heard Forbes.com has a pretty awesome video game section

If you're talking games... Too many exclusives and new IPs across too many genres to really top the PS3. There's something for everyone, a lot of games no matter your taste. The Wii never built up a strong enough library, and every 360 list I've seen is filled with multiplatform games that have better versions on PC, PS3, or both.

But comparing the three home consoles is an outdated way of looking at things. When you bring the DS and PSP into the equation, the analysis changes quite a bit.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Oh, Pike, you massive troll.

I've owned a 360 and a PS3 for quite some time and Danielle's folks own a Wii, so I've played a bit on that (not much though). I found all three to have enjoyable games and all three to be good consoles. Looking at the sales, it looks to have been a fairly even thing. Looking at game sales, I imagine that it'd remain fairly even, but I'm not really sure. For the game library, it all depends on what you're into - If you love shooters, I imagine you might be better suited to the 360. If you love anything else whatsoever, I'd suggest the PS3. Most games were released on both, though, so you know how it goes.

For me it's the PS3 quite easily in the end. The Uncharted series, the free online services, Flower & Journey... I think it would have been a trickier decision if Mass Effect was never released on the PS3, but in the end it was so there you go. I still bought all three for the 360 because of save transfers, though. Left4Dead and Halo 3 were great but for me they just don't beat Uncharted/Journey, which have become some of my favourite gaming experiences of all time.

I can't really speak much for the Wii, it just wasn't my thing, although I did enjoy the games they didn't give me a deep experience. I imagine if/when I get a Wii U I'll buy some better Wii games and probably enjoy it more, but for now I'll just have to go on my own experiences.

Globally: Tie. Maaaaaaaaaaaybe PS3 edging it on sales. Maybe. But it'd be close.
    Personally: PS3, not to say the others were crap, just that I felt the PS3 was better.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I think it's hard to say. Frankly, I'd like to see the numbers on games sold per console sold before making a definitive statement. The Wii, for example, has the largest user-base, but I the numbers I've heard in the past that very few users bought more than a handful of games for it. I would be surprised if Xbox 360 had a higher games sold/console sold ratio than the PlayStation 3. That feeling is based primarily on anecdotal evidence suggesting that the average Xbox 360 user loyally bought a few games in major franchises (Halo, Call of Duty, EA Sports titles) whereas I expect the average PS3 user to have a more diversified interest in games. But maybe I'm wrong.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

After working two years in a video game store I have to say that it's not a clear winner. It's all demographics. Xbox was popular for people who liked shooters and sports while people who liked Action games and RPGs were Sony. Both are very rivaled in activity. More people I think had a 360 because it was cheap but they only bought the main titles, the PS3 owners were the ones who came back for more games often. So while we'd sell more release day 360 games, the PS3 owners were the ones who could wait or just weren't rushing to get something cause they were... more adult

Wii sold a lot too, our biggest section was our wii section. While there were a lot of games, it's correct that people only ever had a handful of them. I can't say who won from the ps3 or 360 but I can say that the wii was in a completely different league. They were selling to a completely different market. And it worked! I guess that could make them the winner I guess? But then it's not the same.

I'm honestly not sure.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think to some degree you'd also have to take into account which games were on both consoles and rule them out of the figures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Polnareff View Post
    Anybody that thought at any point that PS3 had "no games" is sorely mistaken. Even now, PS3 has more exclusives than either of the other two systems.
    If PS3 has games, how me a dog learned english?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

If we're including the Wii then clearly that, although it has clearly created its own subtype of console and the huge victory of this can't be stated. I think to put it in with the 360 and PS3 is to compare apples to oranges.

This generation was a disaster for Sony given the huge lead they had over Microsoft from the PS2 days. In terms of the "serious" consoles, that was a Microsoft victory imho.

In terms of who won EoFF, on the one hand, it's filled with PS3 fans to the rafters, but, Del Murder, Levian and Rocket Edge aside, the best members all like the 360. Not even trolling. You know I'm right.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Gamegear.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Who won? The consumers did. A lot of great material came out of all three consoles.

If people are going to judge things based off of sales figures, well, I guess Call of Duty and Madden are the best games of all time then, huh?

Articles
    Blog Entries

^ Don't forget about Wii Sports Resort and Zumba Fitness.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Wii Sports Resort is hella fun guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I stopped paying attention to consoles, since I've been playing my handheld more often. But if I were to say who won, I'll have to say no one did. The true winners were the consumers, as Sephex pointed out. Oh and Nintendo, for having the most sales.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Who won? The consumers did. A lot of great material came out of all three consoles.
    I dunno, I found that gaming was a little more expensive because of it. People who say that one manufacturer having clear lead is a bad thing baffle me. So long as there is competition, that's all that is needed. I'd still prefer a situation akin to PS2 vs. N64/Xbox, where there was competition to ensure that the manufacturer released a quality console but still a massive majority play on the one console (PS2) so that you don't have to worry about being forced to buy 2-3 consoles just to play even half of the good games that come out. I'll always prefer having all my games on one highly priced system to having to pay for two highly priced systems (while still trying to keep my PC up to scratch while I'm at it).

Consumers won with the PS1 & PS2. Consumers didn't really win this round. We got DLC, we got Xbox Live subscriptions, we got to pay for 2-3 consoles if we want to play a lot of games with our various friends, some of which have one console and some of which have another. I'm tight with my money, I don't want to pay this much. It's why I don't play as many new games as some people around here - I simply can't afford to buy them all. The last thing I want is to have to pay for more than one console for the next generation (although knowing me, I'll probably cave in and buy a second one eventually ).
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!