Thread: Microsoft are removing XBOX ONE DRM

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Good lord $60 is expensive for a videogame. I see AAA titles going for that on occasion when they're new and I will never, ever spend that much money on a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony RoB View Post
    ...isn't $60 normal? Dunno. £40 is normal over here, despite the odd game selling for £50.

EDIT: And regardless, it seems that it's the retailers that tend to decide such things, not the manufacturers. The prices vary dramatically between retailers, so surely it must be true...
    Not sure about there, but int he US it's pretty damn universally 60$ for a new title, some more niche titles may come out at 50, such as the Atelier titles.

There is a bit here where publishers gouge most of that money leaving the retailers with hardly any of it, though to go much into that would start getting itno the debate on used games.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

A lot of these people (Gizmodo) arguing for what Ms wanted to do seem to not realise that a pretty substantial amount money in the used game market funds further new game purchases, but yeah, the used game debate is a whole other issue.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Even Without DRM, You Still Shouldn?t Buy Xbox One | GenGAME

I don't feel quite as passionately as the person who wrote this, but it's interesting to read.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    Even Without DRM, You Still Shouldn?t Buy Xbox One | GenGAME

I don't feel quite as passionately as the person who wrote this, but it's interesting to read.
    boogie said the same thing.

This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Still not buying one. I wouldn't trust them not to 180 again at a future date.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post
    Cliffy B has been unemployed for quite a while now, but he has always been a complete tool.
    It was the customers that made Sony not do what Microsoft was in the first place, you twit.

Gizmodo believes DRM will magically make games cheaper, that's pretty much all you need to know about them.
    I recently tuned into the Giantbomb E3 coverage podcasts, and Cliffy B was a guest on one of them. He had suggested that he isn't working on anything just now based soley on the fact that he is at the turn of a new generation he wants to keep himself open until the one or the other system comes out on top, and then work on that console. Which is fair enough, aiming for that which makes the most money also makes him the most money.

I still believe he's wrong as hell though. Sony doing nothing differently from last generation was what encouraged microsoft to change the policies.

Personally, I disagred with the new policies, but I would have been willing to see how their change in polices affected the industry. The "all digital" future is inevitable as digital sales are ever increasing, and it costs less for publishers. I think microsoft, while were being too draconian in their approach were aiming to set the path for this future. They backed down too easily, and that was worse than these new polices. Shows they had no resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shauna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post
    Cliffy B has been unemployed for quite a while now, but he has always been a complete tool.
    It was the customers that made Sony not do what Microsoft was in the first place, you twit.

Gizmodo believes DRM will magically make games cheaper, that's pretty much all you need to know about them.
    I recently tuned into the Giantbomb E3 coverage podcasts, and Cliffy B was a guest on one of them. He had suggested that he isn't working on anything just now based soley on the fact that he is at the turn of a new generation he wants to keep himself open until the one or the other system comes out on top, and then work on that console. Which is fair enough, aiming for that which makes the most money also makes him the most money.

I still believe he's wrong as hell though. Sony doing nothing differently from last generation was what encouraged microsoft to change the policies.

Personally, I disagred with the new policies, but I would have been willing to see how their change in polices affected the industry. The "all digital" future is inevitable as digital sales are ever increasing, and it costs less for publishers. I think microsoft, while were being too draconian in their approach were aiming to set the path for this future. They backed down too easily, and that was worse than these new polices. Shows they had no resolve.
    So you think resolve is more important than intelligence or ability to respond to market demands?

Personally, I wish Microsoft had stuck with it just so the XBone would have crashed and burned. Until we get a serious example of how screwing your customers can destroy your business, it's going to continue. This has only delayed it.

And, frankly, none of Microsoft's hated policies had anything to do with digital distribution.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

To put it simply, Microsoft was damned if they continued, and damned if they relented.