Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone elses parents not let them play this game because of Sin?

Default Anyone elses parents not let them play this game because of Sin?

This is kinda embarrassing but, back when FFX first came out, my mom wouldnt let me play it. She was listening to me play the game and heard them keep saying Sin over and over so she made me turn the game off because she said it was against our religion. Its kinda embarrasing, but thinking about the remaster now reminded me of that and I always wondered if that happened to anybody else. Well?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

My dad played it before I did. x)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Haha nope, my family's not really religious but even if we were, that still sounds pretty extreme. But I was also raised into a family that didn't mind me playing Grand Theft Auto III at the age of eight, either...

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Ironically, my foster parents never had a problem with me playing Final Fantasy games. But Resident Evil was totally off limits because, as my foster mom said, "Zombies are demons." Explaining otherwise to her was a futile effort.

Good thing she never saw me play a Final Fantasy game, especially FFX. Casting spells, summoning giant super powered beasts, "Sin" and "Fayth"? Questioning, much less overthrowing, religious order? Oh she would have flipped her lid.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

No. I think my mother confiscated my South Park VHS once... then I took it back anyway and she realised that even if she confiscated it again I'd just watch the others at friends houses so she pretty much didn't really bother with anything after that.

Nope. I'm of the age where as long as it isn't rated M, my parents simply don't give a flying smurf. And even with M games, it isn't that they don't like me playing them (I turn 18 in less than a month), it's that they are afraid that my little brothers and sisters (who range from 7-15 years old) would come down and see what I was playing. Hence why I can play them elsewhere if I please.

As for FFX (or FFVI for that matter. Possibly XIII), maybe they would've had a problem with it if I was playing it ten years ago, but now it is a non-issue. Which means I play the X/X-2 remaster the day it comes out. Will be my first time playing FFX and my fifth main-series Final Fantasy game (after XIII, VI, VII, and IX).
    Newer FF player. Learning the ropes. Game in sig is what I plan on playing when the italicized games are finished.

My Checklist (Italics = now playing, Bold = beaten): I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XII, XIII

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, I was pretty much allowed to play/watch whatever I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Ironically, my foster parents never had a problem with me playing Final Fantasy games. But Resident Evil was totally off limits because, as my foster mom said, "Zombies are demons." Explaining otherwise to her was a futile effort.

Good thing she never saw me play a Final Fantasy game, especially FFX. Casting spells, summoning giant super powered beasts, "Sin" and "Fayth"? Questioning, much less overthrowing, religious order? Oh she would have flipped her lid.
    Funny you should saythat . My post above is just the short story of the whole thing. One day I had her watch me play the game to show her it wasn't so bad, and she saw me do those things you listed and she got really angry and made me give the game back to my friend. I actually had to sneak and play the game when my parents werent around. To this day my mom still doesnt like Final Fantasy anything. I remeber when I tried to buy the FF7: AC movie she said "I don't want that Final Fantasy stuff in my house." Its really embarrasing.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

No, and that's crazy. But it's all the more amusing because FFX actually did have some anti-religion themes going for it, but the simple fact that a monster was called "Sin" wasn't, by itself, one of them.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I bought a ps2 and jak 3 when I was 14 with my own money. My mother came in and saw me playing, and took the disk and broke it claiming it was too real looking and would make me confuse the real world and video games.

Then as retribution I took one of her dvds and snapped it in half. I then told her very calmly how it would confuse her because the characters were so realistic and it looked like real life. She got the point, I got grounded and had to replace the movie, and after that I played whatever I wanted as long as I bought it.

I was way more badass as a child than I am now.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

I was allowed to play or watch whatever I wanted, nobody in family had beliefs that they felt the need to enforce onto others. I'd consider anybody who does act like that to be an ignorant person that's not all that worthy of respect.

A parent should support a child's interests while also teaching them that fiction doesn't represent the real world, not dictate what they can and cannot be interested in.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Siberian View Post

A parent should support a child's interests while also teaching them that fiction doesn't represent the real world, not dictate what they can and cannot be interested in.
    I'm going to support my child's interest to prostitute herself.

No, up until a child is a certain age (I'm thinking early teens), parents are perfectly within their right of telling their child what they can and can not do. It's called being a parent. And even after that time, children should still have boundaries. (e.g. curfews, you can't date people are abusive, don't do drugs).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

My parents raised me on videogames and didn't care what I was playing.

One of my little sisters was playing Halo and calmly explaining the pros and cons of the different guns to her friends when she was five.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Siberian View Post

I'm going to support my child's interest to prostitute herself.

No, up until a child is a certain age (I'm thinking early teens), parents are perfectly within their right of telling their child what they can and can not do. It's called being a parent. And even after that time, children should still have boundaries. (e.g. curfews, you can't date people are abusive, don't do drugs).
    True, but it would be nice if they did a little research into the boundary, instead of banning stuff like Harry Potter because magic. For games, I figure they should trust the PEGI-ESRB ratings, but if they still have their reservations, they should check out the game themselves or read something about it on the net (preferably from a more objective source then conservapedia). Though that demands work, parenting as a whole demands work, but I think you should make time for reasonably deciding what your child should and shouldn't watch/play/read, etc.

On topic. My parents never had a problem with that, they're both Catholic, mind you. Sometimes they watched me play and they would not see harm in it, though they though X was kinda stupid (I can now see why ). I did, however, once almost have a ban on the Pokemon anime, because I was jus obsessing with it, throwing tantrums over not being able to watch an episode and whatnot. That near ban was probably for the best. If I hadn't taken a minute to think about my "addiction" I would probably have more problems with addictions to shows/games later on in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    My parents raised me on videogames and didn't care what I was playing.
    Same here. *brofist*