Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keeping EoFF and IRL separate

just you wait until his wedding

he'll sneak up behind you and *snip*

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The thought has crossed my mind before and I am actually truly terrified of this happening.

we'll all be watching the live stream too so don't freak out too much

anyway i haven't actually made a proper reply to this thread

i'm dating someone from this forum and I met her entire family yesterday. that's pretty dang real.

my immediate family knows I have internet friends and know that i've met them. i never really kept it a secret from them. they weren't a huge fan of me talking to strange people from the internet when I was a teenager, and I didn't meet anyone until I was like 19. they wouldn't have let me do so beforehand, I don't think.

some of my IRL friends know that I have internet friends, but I don't think I ever said from where. I've admitted to some of my non-EoFF internet friends that I'm a member of a final fantasy forum.

my eoff and irl lives are separate but overlap a bit. wouldn't have it any other way

Most of my 'irl' friends are nerds, but not as nerdy as me. So I've never really hid it from friends or family. My family would just be like "What's a Final Fantasy?" and my nerdiest nerd friend would be all "I think I might have been there once." The rest of my friends would be indifferent.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I don't see any point in hiding EoFF, it's a part of my life and if people think my generation don't use the internet to meet people then they're rather oblivious/ignorant. No problems here, really. I don't like mixing work and the rest of my life, but they all know I spend a lot of time roaming the forums and anyone who asks about Danielle probably knows how I met her.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE WORST View Post
    The thought has crossed my mind before and I am actually truly terrified of this happening.
    I'm not sure if I have ever actually snipped someone's hair and I don't think that collection has been added to in a decade, and long may that continue.

I was a perfect gentleman of a boyfriend to Shorty and her mum is just an internetphobe.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Contributions
    • Contributions to former EoFF Map

Well I am clearly horriblw with names or names to accounts or both....
    But there were 2 meet ups I went to. One in Toronto (thought that was MILF but nm) Second was in Chicago (thought that was Shiny)...

Or option 2, you start looking into a restraining order.

Boldly go.

Blog Entries

I totes keep the 2 separate. Just like everything else in my life... My friends stay separate from each other, my family, I try to keep a certain distance between whoever I'm dating from my parents. Ya know.

EDIT:

I don't have friends! Silly me!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I was a perfect gentleman of a boyfriend to Shorty and her mum is just an internetphobe.
    This is also true. He didn't do anything, she just hated him for being foreign.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Welp, I've never been to Chicago ever so not possible, but now I'm a bit paranoid so thanks for that!

I thought I saw Rye one time before I even met her, but that was years ago. I swore to myself then that if I ever saw one of you in person I'd run very far in the other direction, so I did just that. Turns out, probably wasn't her anyway.

I remember keeping who I was dating on here secret even to my family. They knew who he was eventually, but did not know I met him on EoFF. Only my one friends who was a member on here knew that. That is more because of value privacy than being embarrassed. When it comes to relationships I don't openly like to out who I'm dating right away as people are insanely nosy.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think I gave up the idea of keeping them separate when a bunch of EoFFers showed up to my wedding.

Banned

If you want to keep them separate, it's easy! You just never talk about one to the other

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Thanks to some defining friendships from my teenage years, my life would be pretty different today if I'd kept EoFF and my offline life completely separate. I'm very glad I didn't put a harsh divide between the two years ago.

I'll never be active again to the same extent as I was years ago, but I wouldn't say I hide anything! It just doesn't have much reason to come up.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

When I tell people we met 'on the internet' they assume it was at a dating site, so I try to clarify that it was an online community about a video game series. I don't mention the site name or the series because I know they don't care.

Or I just tell them I saved her from drowning.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

I do mention that there is a forum that I frequent a lot, if asked I say it is a video game or FF fansite, depending on the geekiness level of the querent. I do not keep it a secret, nor do I divide the two. Like Faris said, I have met her "IRL" friends and she has met my roommates, my current boyfriend and my last ex. I also have other online friends too, some of which Phil/HNB knows because we both used to frequent the same site.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I keep it completely separate. Except for the fact that I married the guy I met here and Calliope just spent the weekend at our place and I've met a bunch of you in the past.

No but really, it is generally pretty separate from my offline life. It occasionally crosses over though.