View Poll Results: Tidus: associated positively or negatively?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Positive

28 70.00%
  • Negative

12 30.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Overall Impression of Tidus

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Your Overall Impression of Tidus

Tidus is possibly the most polarizing character in the series. He's one of the most overall hated characters, but there are a lot of people who either didn't mind him or liked him. Now, I know I'm asking this question on a forum that voted Tidus as the most annoying character in the series, but I'd still like to see the overall impression people have of Tidus.

Is it positive or negative?

Tidus is actually my favorite character in the whole Final Fantasy series. I never understood why people hated him. I also liked that his personality was cheerful and happy, unlike Cloud and Squall. So yes, my view of him is positive.

:monster:

No "neutral" option? He started out pretty damn annoying, but got better as the game went on.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I love Tidus. He reminds me of myself because he's a complete dork who has no idea how to be social.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I didn't like him very much. He kind of annoyed me. He made me feel like he was a 12 year old who couldn't get over his father issues. I have had people do worse to me than his father did and I don't feel the need to get upset at every mention of their name. Also, I found him quite rude at times. He's adapting to a new culture, you need to respect it until you become more knowledgeable about it. He gave the impression that he hardly even cared.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    I didn't like him very much. He kind of annoyed me. He made me feel like he was a 12 year old who couldn't get over his father issues. I have had people do worse to me than his father did and I don't feel the need to get upset at every mention of their name. Also, I found him quite rude at times. He's adapting to a new culture, you need to respect it until you become more knowledgeable about it. He gave the impression that he hardly even cared.
    That moment in Besaid where he goes into the Cloister of Trials and he says "See if I care!". Ohhhh that got me annoyed. He definitely wasn't very subtle and try to blend in. He stuck out like a sore thumb with his antics.

Also, I didn't like everyone just sort of forgets about his transgression as well. He goes into the Trials without being a guardian, and even enters the antechamber without being a guardian. After that, everyone sort of forgets about it. If this was the modern day, there'd be security jumping on him thinking he was going to assassinate the summoner or something.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't like it when one event in the game makes a character do a 180 in their behavior and then people laud it as great character development.

smurf this guy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm surprised at the overall positivity. I'd have expected this poll to turn out pretty much the opposite way.

And to the "adapt to the culture, goddammit" criticism, I feel like his actions are very understandable and natural given the circumstances and Tidus' origin - so I can't fault him for it and tbh, I don't get annoyed by it at all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    I don't like it when one event in the game makes a character do a 180 in their behavior and then people laud it as great character development.

smurf this guy.
    Boom! Like happy festival fireworks, ya?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

smurf this guy.
    ...I don't think that ever happened to Tidus.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post

smurf this guy.
    Well, too bad.

smurf this guy.
    Well, too bad.
    You might take a moment to explain the event you are referring to.

It's easier to discuss that way.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Maybe the big reveal at Home?

Sorry, but I really like Tidus and I always have. He comes off as whiny and immature, but I would think that those are both completely understandable characteristics for someone who's only seventeen and was torn away from his world and into another. I know I personally would be pretty smurfing freaked out. That and having to adjust to the completely foreign customs and world of Spira are relatively reasonable impetuses for Tidus's commonly criticized bitching, rash behavior, and impulsiveness. Let's not forget that we're led to believe he's kind of a bratty rich kid, a stereotype for a young celebrity like he is.

Also, Tidus's character traits are a key driver of the plot; if Tidus hadn't actively questioned and his impulsive actions didn't help lead to a chain of events that eventually exposed the hypocrisy and false traditions of Yevon, who knows how long the Spiral of Death would've continued? I'm not saying that Tidus single-handedly was the hero and saved Spira through being a whiny bitch, but the way he acts throughout the game does serve as a sort of catalyst for the rest of the party's actions, which in turn advances the plot and the pilgrimage. Yuna's pilgrimage would've been completely unremarkable, futile, and Sin would continue to be reborn without some of the stuff that occurs because of Tidus's "character flaws."
    Last edited by Hambone; 06-24-2013 at 07:32 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

smurf this guy.
    Well, too bad.
    You might take a moment to explain the event you are referring to.

It's easier to discuss that way.
    Didn't mean to discuss anything, anyway

Here's my gripe. He's a whiny bitch throughout the game, narcissistic, self-centered, really dumb. Suddenly, he finds out Yuna will die and he isn't real. Whoopty-do. The next thing you know, he's a selfless hero, sacrificing himself for others, a mature adult and all that whatnot.

The worst thing is, this could have actually worked, if it had all progressed more smoothly, had his psyche been developed more. A similar change happened to Squall, but because we got to see all of his thoughts, you could see how natural this progression went. Here it's just a switch, and once flipped, our coming-of-age story hero has now learned a lesson.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I found him annoying.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!