Articles
    Blog Entries

We're almost through the list

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    So earlier this year, Neo posted his favourite 100 games, and I was inspired. It seems maybee, shion and sharky were equally inspired and they have also posted lists. I've been biding my time but I've finally got bored enough to complete my list and am ready to start posting it.
    First post...

25th JUNE 2013

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Sshhhhh So, how about that Dwarf Fortress!?
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Loony BoB is a very busy man.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh yeah, Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress

I always enjoy a game that has two colons in the title. In fact, these types of games are probably my favourite out of all of them. In this one particularly though they are put to excellent use. I don't think that Armok should have slaves. I understand this game is not based in reality but really no society should utilise slaves. They should at least be given payment for their services. Maybe they should introduce some form of minimum wage.

The God of Blood is fantastically represented, I feel. Being a God, I think he is very God-like in this instalment. Much more than in God of Blood Chapter 1. Obviously the blood theme is prevalent in how he goes about his duties. His God duties.

Dwarf Fortresses are always fun. Lot's of small people running around is just ripe for comedy. It makes you wonder whether the dwarves built the fortress themselves as they are quite clearly vertically challenged. I assume they brought in contractors to assist them with the more difficult aspects of the build...

...yeah, I've never even heard of this game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Better kick on and finish this, eh?

2. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
    PS3, 2009

God damn I love every single character in this game. Especially Chloe. For... reasons. But yeah, Tenjin? Awesome. Sully? Awesome. Nate? Awesome. Elena? Awesome. Chloe? Obviously awesome.

It was so, so hard to pick which of this and Dwarf Fortress should get my #2 spot, but I've gone for Uncharted 2 because, while DF definitely has the better replay value (although I have played Uncharted 2 at least three times), Uncharted 2 is a complete game that started, developed and finished in a near perfect way which is just so freakin' hard to find in a shooter game. The dialogue is perfect, the gameplay is extremely fun and the collectables never felt like a chore but a challenge. The multiplayer of Uncharted is massively underrated, too - I played it only for a short while due to not really knowing anyone else, but the wall climbing aspects make it incredibly fun. Someone sniping from the edge of an area? Sneak up the wall and pull them down to their doom. Problem solved. I never liked games that didn't let you climb (Halo 3 etc) so yeah, to Sony for that one.

Overall, though, it's the single player. The insane drama, the banter, the wit, the charm, the puzzles, the everything. This is a very, very complete game. I can't remember a bad thing about it. I'm sure there were a few, but the good things are so plentiful that they make me forget the flaws. This game was fun from the start through to the finish and I felt completely satisified with the ending - a rare thing in video games, for me at least.

I Chloe (and Uncharted 2).

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

good lord we are almost done

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I still think that Uncharted 2 is my favourite game from Naughty Dog. Even ahead of The Last of Us. Purely for the fact that it's probably the most fun I've had in a game since I was a kid. I was basically a young, intelligent, good-looking Indiana Jones that got to have sex with with ridiculously hot women.

The game was just perfectly crafted with some phenomenal stand out moments. This was present in Uncharted 3 also but the overall package in 2 just hasn't been topped yet. In fact, I'm gonna bust through it again when I get back from France. Can't wait!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, I felt Uncharted 3 took it to such extremes that I was just going "Okay, Naughty Dog, now you're just being silly." It was more Forrest Gump than Indiana Jones in U3. Uncharted 2 was just perfectly balanced. Tough game to make a sequel to because of that, though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Uncharted 3's only major crime was that it tried to follow up on Uncharted 2, when Naughty Dog had already accomplished everything that could be achieved with that formula and cast. If they had released it after Uncharted 1, it probably would have still won all the awards that Uncharted 2 did.

I agree the pacing is the real difference though and it's telling that the gameplay director went on to make The Last of Us after shipping Uncharted 2, along with other important leads. Now that those folks are behind the wheel again with Uncharted 4, not to mention Corinne Yu as technology officer, I can't imagine how good Uncharted 4 is going to be.

The Vita installment was also really well done, I definitely put it above the first game and maybe even the third.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Somehow I doubt #1 is going to be a surprise...

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I was basically a young, intelligent, good-looking Indiana Jones that got to have sex with with ridiculously hot women.
    I must get this game!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    Somehow I doubt #1 is going to be a surprise...
    Same here, but I kind of knew the moment I learned BoB was going to do this list what #1 was going to be.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah that's never been much of a secret.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

How does it feel to be so predictable?

(Also part of me hopes that it won't be the expected game and will actually be something out of left field... but I know the truth)