Quote Originally Posted by WildRaubtier View Post
    sonic 3 & knuckles for top ten, amirite
    Sonic 2 is better.
    It really, really is.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Well, at least I chose the right Sonic game. I played the others but they never really captured me like Sonic 2.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    This is the only Sonic game on my list, sorry folks.

I can't think of a single category other than EoFF Hype in which 2 beats Sonic 3 Complete.

At least give us Sonic 2 Starring Knuckles for crying out loud!

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    This is the only Sonic game on my list, sorry folks.

I can't think of a single category other than EoFF Hype in which 2 beats Sonic 3 Complete.

At least give us Sonic 2 Starring Knuckles for crying out loud!
    That one is my favorite. I love how much Knuckles and his wall climb change that game.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sonic 2 is always the one I go back to. I am very rarely in the mood to play Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Blog Entries

Sonic 3 is objectively the best sonic game.

Best stages, best bosses... and Knuckles.

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

Yeah, seriously, 3 is probably the best platformer ever made, 2 doesn't even come close.

You can tell towns knows this because he's been ranting about how "subjective" his list is almost non-stop right before dropping this bombshell about how wrong he is.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I saw an article or blog post about the level design in Sonic 3 a few years ago which went into quite a bit of detail for why it's not nearly as good as Sonic 2, but I can never quite seem to find it. Suffice it to say, in games which are first and foremost about running really fast, there was no shortage of game mechanics which directly conflicted with that. Not stuff that just stopped you for a second if you screwed up, but things you absolutely had to stop for. Far more than there were in Sonic 2 where you could typically keep moving in one direction or another just about all of the time. It was also just a confused mess of superfluous game mechanics in general though.

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

The levels being better designed is true only if you're approaching them from a "go really fast" angle. 3 has a far greater focus on exploration, such as more alternate routes to the end of each level, and Tails and Knuckles not just being "sonic as a different animal" and having abilities that make them far more mobile, etc. Most levels have areas where you can go as fast as you can, but bring a lot more to the table than just that.

I guess the main difference is the (literal) linearity of levels? eg. I can't think of a single time you ever need to use the left directional button in 2 (except for the Wing Fortress) in 2, but conversely, I can't recall any level in 3 where you wouldn't need it to get through.

As for the art design of levels, 2 doesn't compare at all! 3 is full of subtleties, such as these, for example.
    Last edited by WildRaubtier; 07-21-2013 at 03:24 AM. Reason: double negatives, oi

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    I saw an article or blog post about the level design in Sonic 3 a few years ago which went into quite a bit of detail for why it's not nearly as good as Sonic 2, but I can never quite seem to find it. Suffice it to say, in games which are first and foremost about running really fast, there was no shortage of game mechanics which directly conflicted with that. Not stuff that just stopped you for a second if you screwed up, but things you absolutely had to stop for. Far more than there were in Sonic 2 where you could typically keep moving in one direction or another just about all of the time. It was also just a confused mess of superfluous game mechanics in general though.
    My gosh yes. Soooo many annoyances that conflicted with things. Like those stupid climbing pully things in the first level. Or the tons of switch puzzles.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't know, man, when I went back to 2, I kinda felt like it wasn't just a straightforward 'all speed, no challenge," game it's kinda been pidgeon-holed as. It had its fair share of moments where you had to stop and pull switches as well, like the vines in the jungle mine stage and who can forget the swimming?

2 is absolutely ridiculous on the nostalgia level, but 3 & Knuckles is the better game.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I'm not saying Sonic 3 is a bad game because it's very good. But to me it always felt like more of a traditional-style platformer whereas Sonic 2 was much more about GOING FAST.

If I want a traditional-style platformer I'll play Mario, not Sonic.

I simply have more fun when I play Sonic 2. It's straight-forward, no-nonsense, and had the best music in the series.

yall be punks and trout, sonic spinball for life! >3

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

84. Final Fantasy IX
    PlayStation, 2000

This is one of the few FF's that I played to finish after reading hype about it and still enjoyed it, which isn't a common thing. I really liked it - the vast amount of minigames (even if I did get annoyed at Hot & Cold for a while), the wonderful worlds, the solid characters and the various little moments in the game made this thing. I was still never captured in the way I often am with FF's where I feel drawn to keep playing non-stop for as long as I can, so it's the lowest FF that actually made the list based on that reason alone. A good RPG. I don't know if I'd play it again any time soon, but maybe years down the line when I'm bored I might have another go at it. Oh, and I generally don't get all that caught up in romance in FF's, let alone games at all, and the ending was entirely predictable, but the way they did the running scene right at the end was excellent and I got the feels from it, which is a rare thing indeed these days.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

smurf OFF BOB! smurf OFF STRAIGHT TO HELL AND NEVER GET OUT!

i AM BECOMING CHRISTIAN RIGHT NOW SO I SHALL REST ASSURED OF YOUR ETERNAL PUNISHMENT IN HELL!