Page 26 of 54 FirstFirst ... 616202122232425262728293031323646 ... LastLast

Thread: BoB's Top 100 Games

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

...they are better than Oblivion. How many of you have played Crisis Core? It was good! Oblivion was good, too, but Crisis Core was more interesting for me by some distance.

EDIT: Wait, I just re-read that pic. I never said Oblivion was better than Morrowind. Quite the contrary.

EDITRA: It's cool, we can all have opinions on things. Mine just happen to be right.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Those of you who don't like Crisis core probably didn't give it a fair chance or were too wrapped up in nostalgia to see the beauty that is CC. I'm not going to say the story was better than FF7, but it wasn't worse either. The gameplay was fun, the game itself beautiful, and the characters well fleshed out. Plus, swimsuit battles.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah nah CC might be a decent game but it's not as good as The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Batman: Arkham City, Alundra, Grandia II, Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced, Crysis, Dune, Mario Kart 64, Worms, Resistance: Fall of Man, Burnout Paradise, inFamous, UFO: Enemy Unknown, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Wipeout HD, SimCity, Streets of Rage, Star Control, Gothic II, Crash Bandicoot, Civilization II, Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit, Destruction Derby, Syndicate, Army of Two: The 40th Day, Jump 'n Bump, Wolfenstein 3D, Duke Nukem, Tomb Raider (2013), Final Fantasy IX, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Jeptack, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Brian Lara Cricket 2005, GunBound, Solar Winds, The Sims 3, Toejam & Earl, Mortal Kombat, Road Rash II, Operation Neptune, Commander Keen (series), or Dig Dug.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Man anything you put after Morrowind was going to seem retarded but I guess I kind of follow. Crisis Core is fun. Morrowind is deep in your memory banks. Still doesn't stop it seeming incredibly backwards but I'll live.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Morrowind is so nostalgia driven it isn't even funny. The game as a whole is pretty good, but by todays standards the gameplay is bad, the interface worse, and the story just average.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Chie View Post
    Morrowind is so nostalgia driven it isn't even funny. The game as a whole is pretty good, but by todays standards the gameplay is bad, the interface worse, and the story just average.
    See, people like to say things like this to me. But the gameplay is legitimately better than Skyrim's - is Skyrim not up to "todays standards"?

By the way, I didn't play Morrowind forever ago. Unfortunately I missed it when it was a new/modern game.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The base gameplay of ES games stays functionally the same, as well. It's never been very active or entertaining to just gently wail on some air until the picture in it died, but at least Morrowind made the experience slightly more challenging and enjoyable by having your skills actually affect your performance. I'm honestly of the opinion that Elder Scrolls games are pretty shoddy in terms of gameplay, and that their main - and most impressive - characteristic is the world. The best way to play them is as an NPC. xD

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Chie View Post
    See, people like to say things like this to me. But the gameplay is legitimately better than Skyrim's
    The skill systems behind Morrowind's gameplay are more authentic in their RPG spirit.

But other than that... idk. There are no puzzles. The traps entirely consist of doors and chests that glow purple so you know what they are. The dungeon layout design lacks even an ounce of creativity. Stealth is a hollow mechanic. As is enchanting. And over a decade of modding hadn't been able to alleviate just how painful the movement and combat are.

Morrowind is a better designed setting. Oblivion and Skyrim are better designed video games.

So you're trying to tell me that you find that a flaw of Morrowind is its hollow combat, and poor dungeon design, but that Oblivion and Skyrim don't have this problem...?

Articles
    Blog Entries

More or less. They have great dungeons, filled with vertically tiered layouts, door switches, puzzles and traps, many of which you can turn on your enemies if you're clever enough.

I know Quin would disagree but I've enjoyed my melee characters in Tes4 and 5. Its all about getting into a rhythm with your dance partner, moving out of the way of their swings, blocking when you must, and waiting for just the right moment to attempt a critical strike. That's fun to me. I'll admit, when multiple enemies come into the picture, it tends to fall a part.

But there were so many other things that simply had better game design that I mentioned in my previous post.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

After playing games that actually had dynamic and stylish combat, it's difficult to go back to ES games.

It's why I pretty much always play an archer, because stealth and ragdolling are fun.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Crisis Core was an enjoyable game. And when I'm not playing it and I forget Genesis was in it, it's a pretty darn good one.

some of y'all may find it laughable the Crisis Core's even on the list much less it's placement, but it's all a matter of perspective... personally i believe a tribute game like FFIX doesn't belong on the list at all due to it being just a tribute and CC belongs much higher... just my personal taste and opinion...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Is Arkham Asylum higher up on the list? Asylum was better than City (I felt).
    49. Batman: Arkham Asylum
    PS3, 209

I agree, Shauna. While City was certainly bigger, Asylum felt more focused, which to be fair wasn't incredibly tricky given how much you get thrown around the place in City. I liked the combat a little better, too, and I'm not sure why - I had a lot more fun in Asylum in that room where you're basically surrounded by 40 goons and spent ages trying to get that flawless fight in there. I can't even remember if I got it, but just going back in over and over after every little mistake is something I actually remember fondly despite the constant failure - it was sort of like playing a minigame, even though it was just the standard combat.

I think the story was a bit better, too, although (obviously for those who have played both) the ending wasn't amazing by comparison. It felt more realistic, which I feel Batman should, and I enjoyed getting the collectables. In City it felt like a chore after a while with the insane volume of collectables there were, but I think Asylum got it just right. Still, both are really good games... I just feel that this one is better.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Yay!