Page 20 of 54 FirstFirst ... 10141516171819202122232425263040 ... LastLast

Thread: BoB's Top 100 Games

I STILL haven't completed FFXII. I just dislike the story a crapton. I couldn't get behind ANY of the characters. The side-quests didn't feel like side-quests and felt forced upon me and the battle system and gambits are VERY exploitable to the point where one can auto-level.

Don't get me wrong, I played quite far into the game (Pharos I believe). But with all I dislike about it, plus the fact that my PS2 is now broken, I don't see me completing it anytime soon.
    [You spit on mercy? Then you will have none! You want carnage?!]

[Garrosh will get more blood than EVER he bargained for!]

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well this shouldn't have showed up before XIII but...

I don't think any game ever grew on me the way FFXII did. I was originally put off because of the bad plot pacing and the fact that it had nothing of what I usually look for in a final fantasy. But then I spent one playthrough just story and another playthrough getting everything (I cant remember which was first) and maybe another playthrough after that, all probably in the first two years of its release. Across the board, I think its very close to the perfect game.

The way it rewards exploration puts Western RPGs to shame...

Articles
    Blog Entries

XII is a game that definitely grew on me as well. My first play-through, I thought it was decent, but nothing spectacular. I played it again, this time using a guide so I got everything you could possibly find, and I was overwhelmed with how huge the game is.

For me, the side-quests didn't feel forced, they felt rather diverse and interesting. The mark hunting was great, and I wish you could repeat some of them!

The story, in and of itself, is fine. I mean, it wasn't exactly the greatest story ever, but it was perfectly acceptable. Where it fell down for me was the pacing. It was very hit and miss. After a strong start with Reks and the drama there, it then fell down slightly with Vaan and the rather mediocre opening with him. It picks up again when he invades the palace and with Balthier and Fran. But then again, it turns rather boring when you're traversing the Sandsea. In fact, I didn't really care for Jahara, or the Stilshrine of Miriam. After that, the rest of the story is probably paced well enough.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Slutlig Fantasi XII

Better than X-Com

LOL

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This was a game that truly rewarded those that explored the world. Hell, about half of the MASSIVE areas in the game are optional... and you wouldnt notice if you were just shown them. All the areas in this game are fully fleshed out, unique, and very memorable.
    The skycity of Bhujerba, dalmasca, Nabreus Deadlands, the Pharos... ahhh need I go on.
    The license system, though hated by many, is loved by me. It allows for SO MUCH customization, and if you're creative can allow for some extremely unique challenging and interesting runs.

Hell, even the bestiary is AMAZING. So much lore and history to read about. It's glorious.
    This game never actually had to grow on me, I loved it from the start. I never understood the story as a kid, but I adore it now. I love me the political story FFXII wove, and all of the characters were beautifully written. Also, this games Cid kicks ass.

It definitely had flaws though. Late game magic broke the ATB gauge and as such became horrendously useless... and the story was SO easy to forget because of the pacing. Though I'm not sure how they'd keep a story alive in such a HUGE world full of side-quests and optional content. Also, many of the character designs were either impractical, silly, or overly sexualized. It always bothered me, but at least it was never was truly able to draw me out of the world.

It's easily the FF I invested the most time on, and definitely my favorite.
    Is it a perfect game? Hell no, but it comes pretty close.
    It's a very love-or-hate game, but if you give it time it may very well grow on you.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Well this shouldn't have showed up before XIII but...
    Why do you assume XIII will be on the list? It clearly isn't one of the 100 best games ever made.

Anyway I agree that the claim that this game rewards exploration is laughable, in light of games that ACTUALLY reward exploration. But compared to traditional JRPGs, it does. So that's (on a curve) good.

Gambits are a fine idea in principle but stupid in practice, since I could easily 'break the game.' I fought one dumb optional boss for over an hour without touching the controller. Just kind of watched it happen. After 10 minutes, realized it wasn't going anywhere and did something else while the health slowly drained away.

But this makes up for a lot in my book:

XII_cluckatrice_render.png

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter View Post
    This was a game that truly rewarded those that explored the world. Hell, about half of the MASSIVE areas in the game are optional... and you wouldnt notice if you were just shown them.
    I remember in one dungeon, I discovered an abandoned train system that I never even knew about on previous playthroughs. It was filled with new enemies, items, and seemed to just go on and on. I finally had to turn back because there was so much more to explore, it could have gone on forever.

It was underneath one of the very first dungeons in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by spuuky
    Gambits are a fine idea in principle but stupid in practice, since I could easily 'break the game.' I fought one dumb optional boss for over an hour without touching the controller. Just kind of watched it happen. After 10 minutes, realized it wasn't going anywhere and did something else while the health slowly drained away.
    This happened to me several times as well. On a subsequent playthrough, when I knew a lot more about the system, just by tweaking and reordering my gambits, I was able to cut down a 45-50 minute fight to a few short minutes.

The strategy and depth of the Gambit system is so brilliant and underrated it's not even funny.

Why do you assume XIII will be on the list? It clearly isn't one of the 100 best games ever made.

You heard it here first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    This was a game that truly rewarded those that explored the world. Hell, about half of the MASSIVE areas in the game are optional... and you wouldnt notice if you were just shown them.
    I remember in one dungeon, I discovered an abandoned train system that I never even knew about on previous playthroughs. It was filled with new enemies, items, and seemed to just go on and on. I finally had to turn back because there was so much more to explore, it could have gone on forever.

It was underneath one of the very first dungeons in the game.
    Isn't that the tunnel that leads to Zalera?

Quote Originally Posted by spuuky
    This happened to me several times as well. On a subsequent playthrough, when I knew a lot more about the system, just by tweaking and reordering my gambits, I was able to cut down a 45-50 minute fight to a few short minutes.

The strategy and depth of the Gambit system is so brilliant and underrated it's not even funny.
    Gambits are a decent system. But they are not "brilliant". They have plenty of flaws.

You're right, though, they are underrated. But there's a reason for that, and it's because they help highlight everything that's wrong and broken about FFXII's battle system.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Higher than X-Com? Really? You cut me deep BoB.

I'm still waiting for the top 30 to be various incarnations of Football Manager.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    But yeah, inFamous was alright. It was nice to have a sandboxy type game and a superhero type game that wasn't same-same - just sucks that Prototype was probably the better of the two released at the same time.
    As a man who invested a ton of time into prototype I have to disagree with you here.
    Prototypes story was terrible, the missions were samey as hell, the characters are more forgettable than those in commercials, and the graphics werent even that good either. Not to mention the stupid as hell difficulty spike after you got your powers back, which made the entire story mode lose all enjoyment for me.
    The game is hilariously stupid fun though, I will give you that.
    It's very easy to kill so much time with that game, and it's ridiculous enough to make your imagination work to think up the next stupid thing to do.
    I loved prototype, but by god was it not really that good of a game.
    inFamous is much better storywise, but Prototype was a lot more fun gameplay wise (for me, at least). Nothing beats scaling a building like that.

Burnout Paradise is good fun too. What else came up. Final Fantasy XII has horrible pacing but it's an alright game. Uh. Yeah.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Higher than X-Com? Really? You cut me deep BoB.
    Given that there are 60 more games to go, I'd start getting used to this kind of thing if I were you. xD There will be games that will please you for being high, and games that won't... such is life! At least X-Com made it into my top 100, I don't think it made it for certain other people at all...
    I'm still waiting for the top 30 to be various incarnations of Football Manager.
    Nope, it'll be included as a series. xD Also, I've only played FM2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

FM2013 is pretty good BoB. Pretty good.

But yeah, inFamous was alright. It was nice to have a sandboxy type game and a superhero type game that wasn't same-same - just sucks that Prototype was probably the better of the two released at the same time.
    As a man who invested a ton of time into prototype I have to disagree with you here.
    Prototypes story was terrible, the missions were samey as hell, the characters are more forgettable than those in commercials, and the graphics werent even that good either. Not to mention the stupid as hell difficulty spike after you got your powers back, which made the entire story mode lose all enjoyment for me.
    The game is hilariously stupid fun though, I will give you that.
    It's very easy to kill so much time with that game, and it's ridiculous enough to make your imagination work to think up the next stupid thing to do.
    I loved prototype, but by god was it not really that good of a game.
    inFamous is much better storywise, but Prototype was a lot more fun gameplay wise (for me, at least). Nothing beats scaling a building like that.

Burnout Paradise is good fun too. What else came up. Final Fantasy XII has horrible pacing but it's an alright game. Uh. Yeah.
    Prototype's wall scaling was better in terms of exploration and what not, but the wall climbing of Infamous was far superior in terms of giving you real options in combat.

And yeah, I'm in the lot that says Prototype doesn't hold a candle to Infamous in pretty much any way.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Also, I've only played FM2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.

I totally dare you to play the first one.

FootballManagerZX81.jpg

Kevin-toms-football-manager-screenshot-2.png

Football-Manager2-c64.gif

Kevin-toms-football-manager-screenshot-1.png

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Oh my that cover.