Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Character Information

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

Are jobs the end-all be-all of the game. So, you won't find THM's running around end-game content, you're saying. I dare challenge you to say that. The other problem is that we won't have the full list of Classes available until closer to launch. (Though, I'm completely fine with manually editing them in, and I'm certain I can give Bob permission to edit the spreadsheet and he would do so as well.)

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Challenge accepted.

Jobs are the end-all-be-all of end-game cooperative content. A paladin, for example, has higher base stats than a gladiator. More than that, those higher base stats are also specialized to a specific purpose: they have higher strength, dexterity and vitality which provides more damage output, a higher chance of blocking attacks with their shield and more damage mitigated during a block, and a higher maximum HP pool. They also get five job-exclusive abilities which are specifically tailored to paladin's purpose: to be the best single-target, damage-mitigating tank in the game. The cross-class skills available to them (gladiator and conjurer) are those most important to a tank (additional hate-generating abilities as well as low-level cures and buffs to augment their defensive capabilities).

In all my time running endgame in 1.x, the only class that ever got use was thaumaturge, and it was only in very rare circumstances. It was basically so that thaumaturge could use sacred prism (a conjurer ability that made the next spell area of effect) with sanguine rite (a thaumaturge ability that gave 50% damage reduction and converted some damage to MP recovered) as a 5-second defense againsty very powerful attacks (like Nael deus Darnus's Megaflare or Ifrit (Extreme)'s Hellfire. For reference, neither of these spells exist in A Realm Reborn. Occasionally you might also bring a thaumaturge just so that they could sub raise.

Jobs are specializations for specific roles. They're very good at doing one thing, and not very good at doing anything else. They get access to cross-class skills from only two classes that are meant to supplement and emphasize their strengths. This makes them ideal in cooperative, party situations. Classes are good at one or two things, and they get the full range of cross-class skills to augment their weaknesses. They excel at nothing, but they lack glaring weaknesses.

All end-game content that we know of is designed to be cooperative, and therefore jobs will be preferred. You will spend more time with your job's soul stone equipped than you will as a base class.

We also already have the full list of classes available at launch: gladiator, marauder, pugilist, lancer, archer, thaumaturge, conjurer, and arcanist.

We also have the full list of jobs available at launch: paladin, warrior, monk, dragoon, bard, black mage, white mage, summoner, and scholar.

For clarification purposes, both summoner and scholar specialize from the class arcanist. Your level comes from your base class. This means that if you level arcanist to level 50, you will have both scholar and summoner at level 50 as well. However, both jobs must be unlocked through separate quest lines which will also unlock their five unique abilities (meaning that you can have a level 50 arcanist, but if you've only done the quests for scholar, you won't be have any of the summoner-exclusive abilities until you complete the appropriate quests).

Okay, so I can replace that question.

EoFF Name
    Legacy Account
    Region
    Server
    Character Name
    Race
    Job(s)*
    Grand Company

Should I also make it to where you can select more than one, if you want to create a versatile character?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

If it's not too much trouble to set it up that way. My feeling is that it would be best to allow people to just select however many jobs they plan on leveling. I know people who already have all the jobs (well, except summoner/scholar) at 50.

Super easy to do. Okay, I'll work on it later and post the new results. I'm wiping previous results since the table won't match up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    Occasionally you might also bring a thaumaturge just so that they could sub raise.
    i have to clarify that a little.
    since you need to have the cnj/whm passive skill enhanced raise(lvl 28) in order to use raise in battle, you would waste one skill slot for cross-class abilities.

and while im at it. im also not sure what the blm needs convert for...

Well, the OP has been updated!

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Dignified Pauper; 06-26-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

Perfect.

Bob, when you get a chance, can you sticky this? And give me recognized member status. Oh, and an officership in Fat Chocobos. And free sex. Thanks.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Done the new survey and put down Miqo'te as my race as that's the race I intend to remake my character into.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Dignified Pauper View Post
    Bob, when you get a chance, can you sticky this? And give me recognized member status. Oh, and an officership in Fat Chocobos. And free sex. Thanks.
    I can do all of these things, however can and will are two very different things. I'll give you your stickied thread.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dignified Pauper View Post
    I can do all of these things, however can and will are two very different things. I'll give you your stickied thread.
    what? no free sex?<.< at least thank him with a nice and cold drink!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

If Marick ever stops by Scotland, I will offer him a cold drink.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    If Marick ever stops by Scotland, I will offer him a cold drink.
    great! just dont be suprised when you get home tomorrow and some dude is sitting in front of your computer playing the beta while waiting for hits drink. xD

Ill have a vodka tea please. I know how you Britons love your tea!