Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So, what do YOU think?

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Well I need to go to bed because I have work, but I'll post in here beforehand

THAT WAS AWESOME

Although, I did find that I've been running into FATEs, reading what needs doing then seeing a 20min timelimit and thinking 'Sod killing them for 20 minutes flat' and running off again)
    Last edited by I Don't Need A Name; 06-29-2013 at 03:10 AM.
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's pretty.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I love it so far! I won't be able to play for the next four weeks though.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Whoever mentioned music is absolutely right, by the way. I adore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Locky View Post
    Like this so much more on the PC.

Had a tonne of fun playing tonight, sad I'm only level 5 and there's no real point leveling up. But I'm pretty badass - ask the Chocobos. I'm sure I'll be freaking awesome when I get to a high level! FEARLESS.
    Let's just say that I'm so freaking glad you're a melee fighter because you'll take a punch when you go charging in. You're a proper Leeroy Jenkins, only genuinely insane. xD I think we all had a great time. I look forward to more of it, but tomorrow night we'll zip you up to L10-15 so we can all level sync and party together properly, if you want to. Unless you want to keep charging through L50 camps with your L5 character and somehow coming out with nobody chasing you. Because that was kind of remarkable.
    Ahaha, it was so much fun!

I do want to be able to help you guys out in battle though so maybe power leveling will be our thing tonight. I really enjoy my class though so I'll be sticking with it for sure.

"Tara don't go in the desert there are big bugs!"
    "There's worms no!"
    "Oh no we're at the desert"

me: "tralalalalalalaalalaaaaa!" *sprints through the desert*

Most of the reason I'm playing this Beta is not to determine whether the game is worth playing; it is to determine whether I could possibly play the game without getting so absorbed into it that I would be risking my job, marriage and fatherhood.

So far, the answer is "probably not".

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by I Don't Need A Name View Post

THAT WAS AWESOME

Although, I did find that I've been running into FATEs, reading what needs doing then seeing a 20min timelimit and thinking 'Sod killing them for 20 minutes flat' and running off again)
    FATEs don't tend to last nearly as long as their actual time limit. I can only remember being in one that even took more than 5 minutes, actually.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I Don't Need A Name View Post

THAT WAS AWESOME

FATEs don't tend to last nearly as long as their actual time limit. I can only remember being in one that even took more than 5 minutes, actually.
    Aye, the time limit is just that: a limit. Most of the time people participating will complete the FATE objective before time is up.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

So far the UI is taking some getting used to. I keep wanting to do things the FFXI way, and this is different. I also don't think I'll be able to get used to using a controller/gamepad to play this game, but time will tell.

Another thing is that as I play this game, I keep missing FFXI more. The problem is that FFXIV is not different enough from XI for me to really get into it for its own sake. Seeing Gridania and the areas around it don't cause me to enjoy them, but instead cause me to want to go to Windurst and Ronfaure.

But I'm really liking being an Archer and I like the way the class abilities are set up. I always hated in FFXI when it would take 5-10 levels sometimes to get a new ability. I'm level 4 and already have 3 abilities! Also ranged auto-attack and no ammo = win.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles

I have played for a total of one hour or so. There are 2 questions that come to mind,

1. What the crap am I playing? I can't find anyone,
    2. The battle music is far too dramatic for hitting ladybugs in the forest.

Seems fun though.

I signed up for the beta on a whim. MMORPGs are not really my kind of thing. But when I got the invitation, I figured I'd give it a shot and treat it like a demo.

Well, I was kind of blown away. This is the most interested I've been in a Final Fantasy game since FFIX. It took until around level 15 to really get hooked, but I really like the lore and story. The gameplay can be a bit repetitive, but that's all MMOs, and this one does it just as good as any other. Party quests are fun, the gear is neat, and there's not too much grinding (although grinding for company seals doesn't seem too appealing with the low rate at which they give them out).

I went from not really too interested to a certain purchase. I'm getting it on PC because of the graphical quality and 60fps framerate. Really glad that the gamepad controls work on PC, too, because they're much more intuitive than dealing with a row of number keys.

My characters were Kilgore Trout (and I named my chocobo Vonnegut) and Communist Daughter on Gilgamesh, on the off-chance anyone here saw me. No idea what character or class I'll play with primarily when the game comes out (or in Phase 4, whenever that is).
    Last edited by comma; 06-30-2013 at 01:27 AM.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by comma View Post
    I went from not really too interested to a certain purchase.
    You wouldn't believe how many people I know who have played this who have said that, its overwhelming how much better this game has got since it's initial release.

Quote Originally Posted by comma
    My characters were Kilgore Trout and Communist Daughter on Gilgamesh, on the off-chance anyone here saw me. No idea what character or class I'll play with primarily when the game comes out (or in Phase 4, whenever that is).
    Do you think you will be joining the rest of the EoFF crew on Sargatanas? Such an awesome group of people to play with makes this game all the more better imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl the Llama View Post
    Do you think you will be joining the rest of the EoFF crew on Sargatanas? Such an awesome group of people to play with makes this game all the more better imo.
    Sure, why not? I've made a couple of good friends on Gilgamesh, but the reason I came back to EoFF was to try to find some more people to play with. Thanks for the tip that you guys are on that server.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by comma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl the Llama View Post
    Sure, why not? I've made a couple of good friends on Gilgamesh, but the reason I came back to EoFF was to try to find some more people to play with. Thanks for the tip that you guys are on that server.
    Here is a link to the rosta sign up: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ZCr...0hvqE/viewform
    And the rosta itself: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...3elQ0R2c#gid=0

I might mention that I think I read somewhere that you can transfer your character to a different legacy server once either phase 4 or live service starts (not sure if its true or when it is taking place). You might convince your friends to come over to our server ^^ especially when you mention you will be playing with a guy called Legendary Hero xD

Thanks, yeah, I saw the sign-up thread. No point in signing up right now since I'm going to make an all-new character in Phase 4.

Articles
    Blog Entries

There's one thing I've noticed about this game, anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this, or if it's going to be fixed post-beta. The game does not make a big enough deal about loot. I like that there is no need to click on every enemy you've just killed and press 'loot all' 1,000 times, that's a definite improvement over most MMO's. But if I'm receiving drops from any kind of big quest then I'm certainly not made aware of it. I will sometimes go to my Armoury Chest and think 'well that is better than my current item and I don't remember getting it from a quest', so I assume I do get some items that drop, but I feel like it should be a coloured item and the game should actually alert me in some way about it. Also, the gear is very dull with it's stats, at least at the lower level I'm at. +1 mind, +1 intelligence on EVERYTHING. It would be nice to see some variation like crit damage or cast speed (I've seen spell speed increases on a couple pieces of quest gear, never on a drop). It just seems to take any uniqueness out of the game when everyone is running around with the same gear from the same quests.

All that said, I've yet to do an instance so I'm hoping that this changes when I eventually do. But for a genre that is really all about collecting loot for your character it seemed a bit odd.