Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So, what do YOU think?

I don't think I randomly end up with gear. It either comes out of treasure chests, is awarded after quests, or I buy it.

It doesn't seem like the game is too serious about the gear, you're right. A lot of it is for aesthetic purposes only. And yeah, the stats thing is kind of weird. Gear doesn't really start helping out your stats more until the mid level 20s. But maybe it's exponential after that, since at higher levels, it becomes more about getting good gear than about getting a point added at every level.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    There's one thing I've noticed about this game, anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this, or if it's going to be fixed post-beta. The game does not make a big enough deal about loot. I like that there is no need to click on every enemy you've just killed and press 'loot all' 1,000 times, that's a definite improvement over most MMO's. But if I'm receiving drops from any kind of big quest then I'm certainly not made aware of it. I will sometimes go to my Armoury Chest and think 'well that is better than my current item and I don't remember getting it from a quest', so I assume I do get some items that drop, but I feel like it should be a coloured item and the game should actually alert me in some way about it. Also, the gear is very dull with it's stats, at least at the lower level I'm at. +1 mind, +1 intelligence on EVERYTHING. It would be nice to see some variation like crit damage or cast speed (I've seen spell speed increases on a couple pieces of quest gear, never on a drop). It just seems to take any uniqueness out of the game when everyone is running around with the same gear from the same quests.

All that said, I've yet to do an instance so I'm hoping that this changes when I eventually do. But for a genre that is really all about collecting loot for your character it seemed a bit odd.
    I haven't seen any equippables drop from mobs - it seems to just be crafting items.

When you're in a dungeon and you win loot from a boss you do get the FF victory fanfare.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

There's one thing I've noticed about this game, anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this, or if it's going to be fixed post-beta. The game does not make a big enough deal about loot. I like that there is no need to click on every enemy you've just killed and press 'loot all' 1,000 times, that's a definite improvement over most MMO's. But if I'm receiving drops from any kind of big quest then I'm certainly not made aware of it. I will sometimes go to my Armoury Chest and think 'well that is better than my current item and I don't remember getting it from a quest', so I assume I do get some items that drop, but I feel like it should be a coloured item and the game should actually alert me in some way about it. Also, the gear is very dull with it's stats, at least at the lower level I'm at. +1 mind, +1 intelligence on EVERYTHING. It would be nice to see some variation like crit damage or cast speed (I've seen spell speed increases on a couple pieces of quest gear, never on a drop). It just seems to take any uniqueness out of the game when everyone is running around with the same gear from the same quests.

All that said, I've yet to do an instance so I'm hoping that this changes when I eventually do. But for a genre that is really all about collecting loot for your character it seemed a bit odd.
    Phil, normal monsters (as far as I am aware) do not drop equipment. Most equipment (aside from buying it) comes from either quests (which basically why you should not buy it) and from dungeons. The loot in dungeons work on a Need/Greed/Pass system where you get to see it and select one of the options. If someone claims Need, they get it. If more than two people claim Need then they roll for it and the highest roll wins. If no one Needs, then it goes to Greed which functions on a similar mechanic. And Pass is to pass on the loot. Also, they are trying to put a stronger emphasis on crafting. I have yet to craft but I get the feeling that craftable armour might be better than the average store/quest given armour.

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    I have yet to craft but I get the feeling that craftable armour might be better than the average store/quest given armour.
    It can be better if the craftsman produces a high-quality item. Not sure if crafting ever gets better than getting an item from a dungeon with special attributes, though. I'd hope that after putting so much work into crafting, someone could make really great gear.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post

Phil, normal monsters (as far as I am aware) do not drop equipment. Most equipment (aside from buying it) comes from either quests (which basically why you should not buy it) and from dungeons. The loot in dungeons work on a Need/Greed/Pass system where you get to see it and select one of the options. If someone claims Need, they get it. If more than two people claim Need then they roll for it and the highest roll wins. If no one Needs, then it goes to Greed which functions on a similar mechanic. And Pass is to pass on the loot. Also, they are trying to put a stronger emphasis on crafting. I have yet to craft but I get the feeling that craftable armour might be better than the average store/quest given armour.
    Fair enough, the same as most MMO's then. Does loot have colour coding for higher quality items like in Diablo or WoW?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

No, because people don't want to have everyone in the entire game wearing the same colours. There is a dying system set up to avoid that.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

I think he means like the text. Like in some games the item's name is in Purple or Green instead of white to denote a special category/quality of item. Or like a fancy background or something.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Yeah, so far I've seen Green, Blue and Pink colour coded items.

Green and Pink seem to be dungeon drops and Blue seems to be the high-end lv50 stuff.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Ahahaha, BoB xD

Ah k. Thanks for the info. I'll reserve any further judgment until I've played some higher level content then.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Yeah, so far I've seen Green, Blue and Pink colour coded items.

Green and Pink seem to be dungeon drops and Blue seems to be the high-end lv50 stuff.
    But are there any PURPLES?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

The colour coding tends to represent something is special, not better than normal gear. It's generally better than normal gear of the same level but not neccessarily.

Also, in the old game, red meant it needed repairs, I think? As in, the border around the icon.

Of course, there's no way to see your inventory as a list of text so I never really pay much attention to the text colours. ;_; I wish there was. I want a LIST, not a bunch of icons. I have to hover over them constantly just to know what the hell is what.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yes, welcome to how MMOs work Towns

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I loved having a sortable list. Everything should have sortable lists. >=|

I like the game but they definitely need to change the UI on the PS3 and give you the ability to scale the screen to fit your TV. I have a 40" TV and things are sometimes "unsee-able" I know on PC it looks like you can move things around and adjust them but you can't do that on a PS3 unless you have a mouse. I don't use a full-size keyboard, but I bought that PS3 keyboard that fit on your controller and it seems to work pretty good for typing quick easy things. But I'm going to have to use a keyboard for marco, because I already see a problem with not having enough hotkeys for ability and armor switching.

Currently I like the game "a lot" but..... there are small things about it that I don't like. Right now at low level stuff it seems easy. Maybe Legacy players can tell me that those things change. I'm on the fence about it. This MMO seems like a game that you can kinda of pick up and go quickly then FFXI. Where FFXI requires you to stay in PT for 2 to 3 hours at a time to level up slowly. But I guess Looney Bob said, "you have to get a party at lvl 20" right? But if you get a Party, is it still fast pace as you lvl 1-15? I'm currently lvl 15 and I did all that with solo and no party play and very quickly too
    Last edited by brearj; 06-30-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Who doesn't have a USB mouse?

Plus, I think there is an option for adjusting the UI on PS3. I think there is a command for it in the #8 default actions bar. If it's not default, look in the list of actions that have to do with opening up various elements of the UI.