Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So, what do YOU think?

Quote Originally Posted by comma View Post
    Who doesn't have a USB mouse?

Plus, I think there is an option for adjusting the UI on PS3. I think there is a command for it in the #8 default actions bar. If it's not default, look in the list of actions that have to do with opening up various elements of the UI.
    Only have a Toshiba qosimo laptop as my main computer. No usb mouse ever in my house.

Ah well. Let me know if you can figure out how to rearrange the UI on PS3.

There is an article somewhere on the ARR site about adjusting your screen size to fit the game, or vice versa. There are also a lot of support threads on the beta forum about how to adjust the screen size. Have you checked those out?

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I loved having a sortable list. Everything should have sortable lists. >=|
    Maybe spend a night making a spreadsheet of all your equipment options, so you can really get to grips with it
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Locky View Post
    Like this so much more on the PC.

Had a tonne of fun playing tonight, sad I'm only level 5 and there's no real point leveling up. But I'm pretty badass - ask the Chocobos. I'm sure I'll be freaking awesome when I get to a high level! FEARLESS.
    Fun isn't a real, guys!

I think I reached lv 31 or so in phase 2, and I only had access to the shroud area. I had a lot of fun doing it, although most of the leveling was done in instanced raids. The exp is dumb fast there.
    Last edited by Mirage; 07-04-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

It's goddamn beautiful, even on my pathetic little laptop. Made myself a sexy cat dude and just wandered around for a bit doing the fetch quests. Will actually try out some combat next time, but it's real jumpy for me atm so I'mma need to upgrade before I can get hooked.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

I just did my first dungeon "Sar-something" and it was fun. Took 15 minutes for the duty finder to set me up, but I did some FATEs in the meantime. It was fun, we never came close to dying and even though only one of us had done the dungeon before, everything ran pretty smoothly (except I stumbled with the controls a few times by accidentally switching my hotbar). Boss was fun. Epic music, too! I had to be the tank, which I don't really like being, but yay, I didn't mess up! Best of all, no cries of "WTF are u doin ya n00b?!". Everyone was polite and good-natured, so that was good.

Overall, playing the beta has been a blast so far. One thing that became immediatly apparent upon starting out was that there was a whole lot more to do. Lots of quests, at least for the first ten levels, after that they became more sparse, but still, I never was lost for anything to do like I was in 1.x. This is largely because of the FATEs. FATEs are awesome. They're quite diverse, give good exp and are fun to do, mostly. The ease of getting in and out of them is a good plus. They definately were a good addition to the game.

The game's also simply gorgeous, with lots of great visuals. A lot of times I was reminded of FF XII, which is of course a good thing. Linsa reminded me of the Phon Coast somewhat, while Ul'duah gave a Dalmasca / Giza Plain feeling. Enemy design is pretty fun too, though I do miss something spectacular like a T.Rex or something so far, like you had in XII at the start. But I guess that's normal for low levels and stuff. I noticed they used the mantis design from XII, too. Good stuff overal.

Best of all, though, is the storyline. During my run through World of Warcraft, even though I did practically every quest there was to do across the three continents and Outland, I never at any point felt invested in the story. The closest it came was during the Cataclysm quests, but even then the storyline just wasn't as focussed or told that well. It didn't help that the conclusion for every damn storyline could only be seen in elitist raids, I really regretted not being able to have a go at Deathwing.

XIV does it much better in that regard, as expected of a FF game. We even have actual cutscenes! You feel invested in the story, because they make it feel like your character and his/her actions actually matter and mean something. You're not just a random character caught up in events by accident, you're a major player in the story and at times even the focus of it. I really liked that, and I can't wait to see how it develops further. The only criticism I could offer so far is that it seems to slow down after lv 15, and the focus shifts from quests to dungeons. I don't know if it's because of the beta or not, but even so, it's not that horrible or anything, since dungeons seem to be pretty accessible so far. Granted, I've only gone through one, but still, duty finder helps with that. I'm sure the end-game content will be tough, but I'm sure by that point the story will have drawn me in so much to actually make me want to learn how to do those raids and stuff.

Last thing I'll mention is that level sync is a great and smart idea. It helps keeping things challenging, even at higher levels.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I'm still getting used to this MMO thing. 1st one I've ever played and the amount of items and stuff is overwhelming. struggled with the controls for a while and still having some issues with the HUD like when browsing shops it looks like the prices of the items are cut off by the stat info of said item. I'd like to know how much the item costs.

Kind of bored right now until I can get some things going like some new weapons and armour. I'm tired of seeing my character in the default stuff.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Having invested a bit more time into this I do think it's a lot of fun and I'll probably end up buying it. I really want to say that it's giving me early WoW vibes but it's not - the mechanics and general sense of getting lost in a foreign world are not quite as strong as WoW was for me - but it's still the most fun I've had with an MMO in a really long time.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    the mechanics and general sense of getting lost in a foreign world are not quite as strong as WoW was for me.
    Would you consider this a good thing or a bad thing?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I know that the one reason I always loved WoW was just because it was so incredibly gorgeous and I wanted to explore. ARR is gorgeous too, but I think that WoW's design is just a little more awesome because of the really intense colours everywhere.

That being said, I suck at WoW, so I'd always get bored after awhile, because I knew I could never do what a lot of people do. That's why I'd prefer to get this game on PS3, as I'm just godawful with keyboard games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Carl the Llama View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    the mechanics and general sense of getting lost in a foreign world are not quite as strong as WoW was for me.
    Would you consider this a good thing or a bad thing?
    I prefer the WoW mechanics (well... the WoW mechanics from Burning Crusade, anyway. Rest in peace ) and there was really something magical about the WoW world that FFXIV does not seem to have. I'm not even trying to be a WoWdrone because lord knows I have a lot of issues with WoW lately and there's a reason I quit. But I can't help but compare MMOs to the high points of WoW and so far FFXIV is continuing to fall just a bit short.

IMO.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    I know that the one reason I always loved WoW was just because it was so incredibly gorgeous and I wanted to explore. ARR is gorgeous too, but I think that WoW's design is just a little more awesome because of the really intense colours everywhere.

That being said, I suck at WoW, so I'd always get bored after awhile, because I knew I could never do what a lot of people do. That's why I'd prefer to get this game on PS3, as I'm just godawful with keyboard games.
    Playing an MMO without a keyboard is a really bad idea. Trust me.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post

Playing an MMO without a keyboard is a really bad idea. Trust me.
    id say trying to type with a ps3 controller is a bad idea. it takes ages to type a message...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Then I guess I shouldn't even play this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

You could play it with both. I know someone who loves spending his time playing with a controller and uses his keyboard only for the chat parts. But yeah, if you aren't able to type out a lot of chat, then I gotta admit I don't know what you will be getting out of the game. The biggest point of an MMO is the multiplayer aspect, and the best part of that multiplayer aspect is created through communication.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!