Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: EoFF Book Club - September Edition: Gone Girl

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can go for Gone Girl!

I am just loving how the stories for Cloud Atlast all tie together. Only a quarter of the way through, still, but things are looking good. My dad kindof spoiled the underlying theme for me when he was telling me to read this last year, and I'm seeing pieces of that theme shine through the writing now.

I think I will continue to read Cloud Atlas into September (and comment on it here). I'll pick up Gone Girl after I'm finished.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Updated the title for September to Gone Girl.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

OK I AM GOING TO TRY SO HARD TO READ THIS.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Blog Entries

I read Gone Girl back in like January or so. It's pretty good. Amy is my new hero and I'm wondering that me reading this book wasn't a bad idea because it's given me -so- many more ideas for revenge.

I sidle away and read a book myself.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Got my copy from the library today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Off-topic rant about e-books, because I just looked up Gone Girl to buy it.

I have to say that I'm kindof pissed how much books on Kindle and Nook cost. I was kindof against the whole e-book thing when it first started, but I thought that atleast the prices of digital copies would go down due to the fact that they aren't being mass-produced and therefore require no materials. It's fine for a creator to be paid for their work, but the fact that digital copies that I find are really only a dollar or two shy of the actual paperback price makes me much more inclined to just buy a physical copy instead. Sometimes I've found that digital copies of books are even more than physical copies and that is just plain absurd to me. I thought the whole reason being for books priced they way they are is based on a) marketability and b) cost and materials.

I suppose this problem would be entirely void if I were to just go to the library, but it's a problem still, nonetheless.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Creative works are priced the way they are because of the creative work, not because of the cost to physically reproduce the work.

I sell 5x7 prints for $20. The paper/ink itself only costs me about a dollar. People aren't paying me $20 for the paper, they're paying me $20 for the image.

I do think ebooks should be priced lower than physical books because personally, I think there is a big advantage to having the physical book. The physicality of it is worth something. But I'm not sure how much less it should be priced at because the work is still the same work. The consumption of the work is pretty much going to be the same, whether you read it on your Kindle or in a book. Maybe it should be like... 75% the cost of the physical book? You can also borrow ebooks through libraries too so that's another cost effective option.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

You should definitely get a library card. Even if you're only purchasing one $15 book a month, you'll be saving $15!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Off-topic rant about e-books, because I just looked up Gone Girl to buy it.

I have to say that I'm kindof pissed how much books on Kindle and Nook cost. I was kindof against the whole e-book thing when it first started, but I thought that atleast the prices of digital copies would go down due to the fact that they aren't being mass-produced and therefore require no materials. It's fine for a creator to be paid for their work, but the fact that digital copies that I find are really only a dollar or two shy of the actual paperback price makes me much more inclined to just buy a physical copy instead. Sometimes I've found that digital copies of books are even more than physical copies and that is just plain absurd to me. I thought the whole reason being for books priced they way they are is based on a) marketability and b) cost and materials.

I suppose this problem would be entirely void if I were to just go to the library, but it's a problem still, nonetheless.
    coughtuebl.ca

works with google books, moon+ reader, and whatever.

Gone Girl was on there last I checked.

:monster:

When I re-bought the first three volumes of the Song of Ice and Fire series (I misplaced my copies) I specifically compared the e-book prices with the mass-market paperbacks. They were exactly the same price, so I went with the mass-market versions, not because I have a particular affinity for physical books but because, as an employee of a certain large bookstore chain, I get a discount on physical books that I don't get on e-books. If publishers really wanted to save money on printing costs they'd price their e-books more reasonably.

That said, they recently reissued the Harry Potter series in new trade paperback editions that are absolutely smurfing gorgeous and I'm having a hard time resisting the temptation to pay the $75 or whatever I'd have to pay to get the boxed set.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Very light spoilers for Gone Girl up to page 60

So far I'm really enjoying this. I'm a bit surprised, as it's not really a book I'd choose for myself; I'm not a fan of mystery/crime novels, although there's a lot more at play here than that. I think it's really interesting that I don't know who to identify/side with. Whenever it's a Nick chapter, I'm sympathetic to Nick. When it's an Amy chapter, I'm sympathetic to Amy.

I really loved this line, btw: "...he informs me that Missoura is a magical place, the most beautiful in the world, no state more glorious." I mean, I hate that she used Missoura, because it reinforces that stereotype that it's okay to call Missouri that, but that line made me incredibly homesick. I found myself smiling and nodding and not even meaning to. I think that's part of the reason I love this book: so much of what's in it is familiar to me.

Also, I saw she wrote another book set in Missouri (and Kansas), so I looked her up. Gillian Flynn was born in Chicago, but grew up in Kansas City, MO. That really touches my heart a lot.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I read that as "Missoula" first and thought "who the hell thinks that about Missoula"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Complete book spoilers

Wow. Just finished. What a mindsmurf. Amy and Nick totally deserve one another. I was really upset that he didn't kill her when he was choking her. I really wanted to see the psycho bitch dead.

Blog Entries

Like I said... Amy is a genius. Hahaha