Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Job

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default New Job

I have a job as a server at Applebee's in a (very small) town in rural Tennessee situated right in front of a Wal-Mart.

It sucks. Here are the things I've learned:

• Apparently, I have an accent. And I talk funny.
    • Soccer is gay; don't show it on our the TV.
    • There is absolutely nothing people won't put ranch dressing on.
    • Pepsi is apparently terrible. Some will refuse to drink any Pepsi products.
    • Also, Applebee's is "fine dining".
    • You don't need teeth to eat.
    • Apparently, I look, act, speak, and carry myself much like a prince.
    • We can't add shots of pure alcohol to your drink because Obama.

This job sucks. Is there any jobs you had that were terrible?
    Last edited by Laddy; 06-30-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Kmart. Terrible management who have no idea what they want, they try to shove internet stuff on their customers even though all of their customers are 80 years old, their point-of-sale computers are wrecks and crash several times a day, none of their ways of doing anything make any sense, and I really hope they go out of business soon.

Honorable mention to Sears which is owned by the same company as Kmart is and so is nearly as bad. Somehow their computers were more stable despite being as old as I am.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sears Corp is awful.

I worked at Wendy's when I was a kid and that sucked. Other than that, I was a receptionist for a good many years and that sucked as well.

Articles

I currently work in small office dealing with Accounts for a multi-national mechanics in the UK. The work is fairly easy, but in massive quantities. This is made more difficult by the fact that the program I use to run it is 24 years old, which is older than me, and does not work most the time. I'm either on top of my work so much I can't do anything more, so so far behind on all of my ledgers than I don't know what to do to keep up.

I've always quite fancied the idea of living in a small town with very little commerce. Not in the likes of a super market or a restaurant, but something with low maintenance like a drug store or a video games shop. I seem to like the idea that having nothing to do all day but relax, occasionally deal with a customer and get paid the same as if I was working a high maintenance Job would be the best.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

My job actually isn't that bad apart from arsehole customers and the fact that I hate being numbers driven which, as a department, seems to come at the expense of people doing their jobs properly just to hit numbers.

It has it's good days and bad days - I'm just bored of it more than anything else as I've been doing it for 5 years now.

Blog Entries

I would not survive in rural Tennessee.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

My job sucks because I spend hours cleaning and cooking and I don't get paid to contribute to the finances .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Kmart. Terrible management who have no idea what they want, they try to shove internet stuff on their customers even though all of their customers are 80 years old, their point-of-sale computers are wrecks and crash several times a day, none of their ways of doing anything make any sense, and I really hope they go out of business soon.

Honorable mention to Sears which is owned by the same company as Kmart is and so is nearly as bad. Somehow their computers were more stable despite being as old as I am.
    I once saw something that said like Target and walmart spend I can't remember but say $3 of upgrades per square foot where as kmart spend like .75 cents.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post

I once saw something that said like Target and walmart spend I can't remember but say $3 of upgrades per square foot where as kmart spend like .75 cents.
    I'm not surprised.

Target is the best place I've ever worked, by the way.

Default oh whoops i forgot this isn't eoeo

My current job, ugh. I do software development at a small startup company.

- we don't have a development process
    - I don't really care for the product we make
    - I haven't been given one good, solid project spec yet
    - I keep getting thrown projects that I can do about half to completion and then my requests for more information so that I can continue the project are ignored because the person who can give me more info works offsite and won't even acknowledge that I've sent an email
    - I'm working through this weekend fixing something that I didn't break, given almost no information on what to fix
    - a bunch of other little more personal things that shouldn't bother me from a professional standpoint but they do because my boss keeps bringing them up
    - rant rant rant rant rant

It sucks, though, because I looked for a job for over a year and this was the first offer I got. I'm scared to give it up too soon (I've only been working here about 3 months). I've made my grievances known but that hasn't changed anything. We have a big project coming up starting tomorrow, supposedly with a development process involved. It should be something NEW not just fixing other people's broken stuff. I definitely won't leave before that's done just because I'm a good person.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I worked at an Ice Arena for extra cash awhile back. Though the last couple pf years I only worked on Saturdays, I still did not receive a raise even though the minimum wage was raised to where my pay level was at. When I pointed this out, I was told that the Park District was struggling, so I let it go. Again, it was only an extra cash job.

I later found out that they hired a bunch of teens for three to four dollars ahead of me. At that time I found a job much better than my current full time job, so I quit the other job, but left the ice arena with very little warning. They called and complained at me when I was supposed to open, so I basically said something snooty and never looked back.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Double Daves. I only worked there for a week, but the guy cursed at me for doing exactly what he told me to do.

I was let go because it took me 20 minutes to fill all 8 machines with ice. What the hell was I supposed to do, carry 10 buckets at a time? Teleport it?
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Serve from the left, clear from the right! I love waiting tables...just not at Applebee's.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The worst was being a mailman. Long-ass days, little to no material support from the company (bike broken? sux2bu if you don't have a scooter license), and had to walk when it snowed heavily. I quit after they called me and wanted me to do an extra neighbourhood for the same pay. Then I realized how stupid the whole thing was.

Never went back to unskilled labor since then, and I plan to keep it that way.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Blog Entries

I effing loathe Crapplebees. I've eaten there like 3x at 2 different locations (in Nashville & TK) & the service was awful each time.

I also worked at Wal Mart. I felt a piece of my soul dying everytime I went in there. I was also preggo and bored all the time, so I'd switch the caps on the spray paint over in paint and randomly page my manager to call me just to bug him. I also called Electronics from Paint and asked them to turn the tvs up so I could hear "Surfs Up" from my area. Ha.

I hate serving though. Sadly, I must get my liquor license renewed like now cuz mine's expired. Since I'm stuck doing it. Bleh.