Leonburgers are sooo adorbs

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    I've done the reseach and read the science.
    Apparently not, because pitbulls and related breeds are consistently ranked in studies as some of the most people-friendly and family-appropriate dogs.

A Georgia-based group called the American Temperament Test Society has put twenty-five thousand dogs through a ten-part standardized drill designed to assess a dog’s stability, shyness, aggressiveness, and friendliness in the company of people. A handler takes a dog on a six-foot lead and judges its reaction to stimuli such as gunshots, an umbrella opening, and a weirdly dressed stranger approaching in a threatening way. Eighty-four per cent of the pit bulls that have been given the test have passed, which ranks pit bulls ahead of beagles, Airedales, bearded collies, and all but one variety of dachshund. “We have tested somewhere around a thousand pit-bull-type dogs,” Carl Herkstroeter, the president of the A.T.T.S., says. “I’ve tested half of them. And of the number I’ve tested I have disqualified one pit bull because of aggressive tendencies. They have done extremely well. They have a good temperament. They are very good with children.” It can even be argued that the same traits that make the pit bull so aggressive toward other dogs are what make it so nice to humans. “There are a lot of pit bulls these days who are licensed therapy dogs,” the writer Vicki Hearne points out. “Their stability and resoluteness make them excellent for work with people who might not like a more bouncy, flibbertigibbet sort of dog. When pit bulls set out to provide comfort, they are as resolute as they are when they fight, but what they are resolute about is being gentle. And, because they are fearless, they can be gentle with anybody.”
    For anyone to have it as a pet around children is irresponsible. They're probably the most dangerous breed of dog around.
    This may be the dumbest thing you've posted on EoFF. Because some pit bulls are raised to be vicious, that means all pit bulls, no matter how they're raised, should be kept away from children? Pit bulls are indeed stronger than most dogs, yet tens of thousands of them make it their entire lives without biting anyone to begin with; they are inherently no more likely to bite people than any other dog (and many studies point to the fact that they are less likely to bite people as a breed). Well-trained pit bulls are considered by experts to be among the best family dogs. Your so-called "science" is little more than mindless propaganda.

I've links too mate, we can all trawl through the internet to find things that back us up

Pit Bull FAQ - Dangerous Dogs - DogsBite.org

Pit Bulls' Fatal Attack Leads to Dangerous Dog Crackdown in L.A. - Los Angeles - News - The Informer

The Seattle Times: Living: Pit bulls: Most dangerous of dogs or least understood?

Maryland court declares pit bulls are 'inherently dangerous' | MNN - Mother Nature Network

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6222689.stm

I could go on but something tells me you're only interested in stuff that backs up your defence of an ugly, dangerous animal. Everything i've said about the pittbull is true. The damage it can do when it decides to bite is the issue.
    Last edited by Cuchulainn; 07-01-2013 at 08:24 AM.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

You have no idea how ignorant that entire post is.
    I've done the reseach and read the science. I'd an idea a butthurt pitbull fan would defend them here, i'd no idea it'd be you.

When a pitbull choses to bite it does more damage than almost any other dog. It's jaw strength is arguably stronger than any other dog. It's been bred for fighting for a thousand years. It's mouth is designed to kill. For anyone to have it as a pet around children is irresponsible. They're probably the most dangerous breed of dog around. I keep hearing this nonsense from owners and fans of dangerous dogs that they're harmless. Smaller dogs are more agressive and can do more harm. Bollox. THe science doesn't agree with you. End of story.
    You obviously haven't done the research or done the science. So why pretend that you have? Is it a lie to try and make your ignorant post seem more reasonable?

Pitbulls do NOT have a higher bite force than any other dog relative to its size. It comes in lower than German Shepherds, rottweilers, mastiffs, and dobermans. And the asian breeds like Akita & Jindos both have higher bite force than pitbulls. As do huskies. A LOT of dog breeds have similar bite force or GREATER bite force than the pitbull. The idea that they have locking jaws is also a complete myth.

In addition, there's numerous studies that show that the breed itself is not disproportionately dangerous. Here is one such study: https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/Ba...revention.aspx

EDIT: Just saw your post. Um, seriously dude? That isn't research and it isn't science. Science is controlled tests. Those are just random anecdotal stories, as well as conclusions based on faulty information and biases. Did you know that Labradors cause more bites in the US than pitbulls? Or did you also consider the fact that pitbulls are more often abused and that abuse contributes to the number of bites/attacks as opposed to the ridiculous and disproven idea that the BREED itself is to blame. You best educate yourself.
    Last edited by Miriel; 07-01-2013 at 08:25 AM.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Anyway here's me ma's wee dog. Lovable wee fella.

Attachment 44283
    I knew behind the hard nut facade that you were a big softie really.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Saying a pitbull is more inclined to attack people than other breeds is like saying a toucan is more inclined to attack people than other birds.

In short, it's ridiculous.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Of all the different dogs i've owned I like australian shepards the best

They're very active and i've had 3 over time now and every single one is extremely loyal. Our female hates any fighting and tries to break it up. They are herding dogs though! Funny thing is when they herd small children. They are great family pets and extremely smart. And dog 101 told me they are a unique breed for running. Apparently they have a spine similar to a cheetah! So they can run faster than most other breeds.

They were bred to be ranch dogs so they actually enjoy working. They love to run and learn. They are very obedient and seem to be happier if they have an area to protect. They are high energy so if you don't have room to play and run with them they get destructive cause they get bored. So that's why they like working and being out somewhere they can run! But they have been my favorite of all the various breeds we've had.

that first picture is just a google stock, here's a picture of my female she's smaller but our male is large. Don't have a picture of him.

There really is nothing fun about posting a popular opinion here.

Blog Entries

And there has never been anything fun about reading Your constant ignorant posts on just about every subject.

It's fun for me kid, that's why I do it. Annoying you is an excellent bonus though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

And this was such a nice doggie thread as well...

post more doggies

I'm waiting for Bert's picture of him, in his ranch, with his 5 'over compensating' pit bulls and sporting his multiple gun stash, while holding a budwiser in his pickup.

Blog Entries

That's amazing since I've never said I wanted to own a pitbull. Also I live in vermont we don't have ranches so go check your super facts again.