Thread: SD and HD Comparison Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Default SD and HD Comparison Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster

ffxhdremaster.png
    Sony just released a comparison video of the beginning Zanarkand scene to show the difference between the SD version of Final Fantasy X and the HD version of the remastered edition. The video is in Japanese still. It's the intro to the game so no spoilers will be shown. So if you're late to the Final Fantasy X party you won't have anything spoiled for you. We recommend you try the game if you haven't! If you can wait for the full HD glory, it'll be a long decade of waiting ended. Check it out!

This video shows the improvements they've made to Final Fantasy X, some more subtle than others. If this remaster proves to be popular, Yoshinori Kistase has said they may look into remastering other FF games as well. The limited edition artbook was also announced with this video. The game will be released for the Vita and Playstation 3 at the end of the year at a price of $39.99 according to Sony.

What do you think about this comparison? Do you think they improved on the graphics?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think Yuna looks better, but I don't like new Tidus as much.

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    I think they lightened his skin tone a bit too much. It'll take some getting used to, but I think I will adapt fairly fast once I start playing.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

He creeps me out now haha.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I thought it looks very impressive. Yeah I don't Yuna looks as... tigerish either.

I wanted to see Tidus's whole face in HD.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quite impressive! I didn't think the difference would be as noticeable as that.
    I particularly like what they've done with the ground and sky textures, and general lighting. Some of the polygons didn't fare as well, though - especially things that were meant to look smoothly curved like Kimahri's hair or those blue ribbons on Rikku's back. The higher definition makes those look a little more jagged and unnatural than before. Still, the effect is pretty cool overall.

I doubt I'll be buying it unless there's a whole lot of new content, but those who do play it are sure to appreciate the new look.

So do Tidus' eyes blink independently now? That was creepy.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I have a few thoughts.

Let's start positive. It looks nice. This game is excellent and I look forward to actually finishing it, and then diving into the sequel to do the same.

But, "If this remaster proves to be popular, Yoshinori Kistase has said they may look into remastering other FF games as well," is not even good code for "buy this smurfing game or 1) we're not remastering any others and 2) you're not getting Final Fantasy VII remade, smurfers." I get that they want things to be successful, but they remade a bunch of the other games have a million times already without putting the pressure on us.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about them changing the title text. On the one hand, it's super clean and sexy. On the other hand, tradition.

Lastly, Wakka's feet are still abysmal. He only sort of seems to have toes now. Just make him smurfing barefoot or give him enclosed shoes or less weird jandals, smurf me.

But yeah, looks pretty great, the backgrounds are way way way better than they were before.

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    ^ This

The new Tidus looks really really strange imo. Yuna ? Gorgeous hunny !

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I have a few thoughts.
    But, "If this remaster proves to be popular, Yoshinori Kistase has said they may look into remastering other FF games as well," is not even good code for "buy this smurfing game or 1) we're not remastering any others and 2) you're not getting Final Fantasy VII remade, smurfers." I get that they want things to be successful, but they remade a bunch of the other games have a million times already without putting the pressure on us.
    Makes little sense to release FF12 in HD for the PS3 if FF10, a more popular title, did not perform well. One of the first things I thought when I first heard about the 10/-2 HD edition thing years ago was that they'd most likely do the same for FF12 if 10 fared well. What Kitase did was more or less stating the obvious.

And only delusional people still think we're gonna get FF7 remade on this side of 2020.

Personally, I am greatly looking forwards to this game (again), and I think it looks pretty great.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

NEW TIDUS

BURN IT

BURN IT WITH FIRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

The Tiduses look exactly the same.

Anyway, looking forward to HD FFXII.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I have a few thoughts.
    Makes little sense to release FF12 in HD for the PS3 if FF10, a more popular title, did not perform well. One of the first things I thought when I first heard about the 10/-2 HD edition thing years ago was that they'd most likely do the same for FF12 if 10 fared well. What Kitase did was more or less stating the obvious.

And only delusional people still think we're gonna get FF7 remade on this side of 2020.

Personally, I am greatly looking forwards to this game (again), and I think it looks pretty great.
    Yeah the remake comment is in regards to XII. They have lost data for both FFX and KH and have had to completely remake some parts. So what makes you think they even have VII to work on? It's sad but a VII remake most likely will never come.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It isn't really "remaking". They're ripping a lot of information from the disks from what I understand. Which is hilarious in itself.