Thread: Taking up a new hobby

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Taking up a new hobby

Since it's only a week before I leave to Australia, I was thinking of different things I could do out there to make settling in a bit easier.

I'd like to take up painting - I did an art class in school and I loved it and I love art, but it has sadly taken a backseat in my life while I pursued other options.

Learn to play an instrument - I'd love to learn guitar, and I know Phil plays it so I think him teaching me would be fun!

Blogging - I'm starting up a new blog to document my travels and what I'm doing so my friends over in the UK can keep up with me if they so desire. This will include a YouTube channel, and I hope by doing this I might get better at Photography. My Dad is an amazing photographer and I'd love to be as good as him.

Join a Gym Class - I'm thinking something like Aerobics, just something light and fun that I'd only have to do like once or twice a week. I love dance, and I was a Cheerleader and in a dance group for a while so it would be good to increase my fitness levels again and maybe get back into dancing properly. I'd actually LOVE to take a Pole Dance class but I don't think I'm fit enough yet.

What hobbies would you like to pick up in the next few months?

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pro-tip: ain't nobody fit enough for pole dancing until they start doing it. srsly. That trout works you in the most unusual ways, so you may as well just jump straight in.

Also, send vids.

Not really a hobby, but now I have a nifty little leccy moped, I'm gonna be doing a bit more travelling around my city to see more of it. I feel a bit closed off, so it should help me shake the Samey-Sameys.

Started exercising again a couple of months back, so obviously I intend to keep that up. Looking and feeling better than I have in a long while, so woohoo.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Quint Eastwood View Post
    Pro-tip: ain't nobody fit enough for pole dancing until they start doing it. srsly. That trout works you in the most unusual ways, so you may as well just jump straight in.

Also, send vids.
    I have heard this! I may give it a go... Maybe, too shy I think but I should try it right? YOLO and all that :ahem:

And no.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I wish I had a hobby that wasn't the internet or video games. xD I feel like I am severely stunting myself.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd like to pick up a hobby. A lot of classes and stuff cost money. For now I write and play video games.

Also slowly trying to learn Spanish.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Locky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quint Eastwood View Post

Also, send vids.
    I have heard this! I may give it a go... Maybe, too shy I think but I should try it right? YOLO and all that :ahem:

And no.
    Pro-tip: everybody's shy about pole dancing because either a) it's really hard and maybe they won't look to good in short shorts and tank tops, and/or b) only strippers pole dance, right? Don't worry about b, because it's dumb, and don't worry about a, because yeah, it's probably true but man up. You can't expect to be good at something when you start doing it, or else what's the point in doing it?!

My friend does pole dancing and it killed her for the first month. She apparently looked a reet pleb, as she couldn't hold on very long, and even when she could, she couldn't do it very well. xD

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I've taken up boating as a new hobby lately.

You should do the same. We'll be boat people together, Tara.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Once I've finished unpacking and got all the stress of moving sorted out I'm considering getting back into drawing again. Also generally cooking more healthier food and getting back into the routine of going the gym. Was doing so well until I hurt my back and then fell of the bandwagon big time.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I want to write again. Same I'm only good at it when I'm writing about things that I don't give a damn about. I want to write something that expresses myself but I have a huge difficulty with doing that for some reason.

Beyond that, if anything I seem to be backing away from hobbies lately instead of looking for them. I have too much on my plate in recent weeks and I need more time to do nothing, not more time to do something.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quin.... thank you. Thank you so much.

Learning an instrument is awesome but I know that if I was teaching you guitar then you'd eventually get frustrated (cause everybody does, no exceptions), and then you'd yell and hit me because you know I'll end up forgiving you

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So funny that you mention painting! I hope to acquire a canvas and some nice paints and brushes later this month. I've been writing about doing it in my livejournal a little bit and just need to go shopping for them!

I semi-picked up the guitar a little while ago but haven't been following through very well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The whole pole dancing thing I think is an amazing idea as well Quin. I think it's too easily stereotyped as "raunchy, slutty and promiscuous" but in actuality it's a great exercise. I'm not saying that from experience obviously but I think you should definitely look into it at the very least.

In terms of hobbies in the next few months, I hope university opens me up to more. I'd love to use the university gym (with discounts, YES) because the cost of memberships really puts me off. I'd like to go to the gym, but it's really money and time. I do have an exercise bike at home though, and I have begun using that, so that's something.

I'd like to read more! I used to be really into reading but education took my focus away from that (unless I had to read a book for English Literature) so I'd love to read more. What else then for hobbies? Um... don't really have many come to think of it.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    The whole pole dancing thing I think is an amazing idea as well Quin. I think it's too easily stereotyped as "raunchy, slutty and promiscuous" but in actuality it's a great exercise. I'm not saying that from experience obviously but I think you should definitely look into it at the very least.

In terms of hobbies in the next few months, I hope university opens me up to more. I'd love to use the university gym (with discounts, YES) because the cost of memberships really puts me off. I'd like to go to the gym, but it's really money and time. I do have an exercise bike at home though, and I have begun using that, so that's something.

I'd like to read more! I used to be really into reading but education took my focus away from that (unless I had to read a book for English Literature) so I'd love to read more. What else then for hobbies? Um... don't really have many come to think of it.
    I just bought a Kindle and I have loooooads of books downloaded that I can't wait to read!

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Biking, snowboarding, and longboarding. I am not very good at the last one. I also would like to get back in to yoga as a hobby. I tried hot yoga recently and it was refreshing, but I dislike the smell of body ordor so will not be continuing with that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Locky View Post

I just bought a Kindle and I have loooooads of books downloaded that I can't wait to read!
    Aww that's cool. I have a friend with a kindle. He downloaded the entire works of Shakespeare on it. Interesting. I'm not sure if I'm that into reading to purchase one. If I came into free money, then sure, but the Kindle isn't a must-buy purchase for me just now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Biking
    I want to get a bike. I'd love to go cycling around in the countryside and other nice scenic hotspots around Dorset. That would be awesome.