Thread: Why would you build a second Cocoon?

Default Why would you build a second Cocoon?

This seriously bugs me about FFXIII-2's plot. Why the heck would you ever build a second Cocoon? What the heck is the point? You already have this lovely city filled with people. You have an entire world to expand across, as they haven't covered nearly all of Pulse yet. So why the heck are they building a new floating deathtrap?

'Cause, yeah, that's all it is. That's the entire point of FFXIII. Cocoon is a deathtrap. Nothing more. And what happens? They build a second one and Caius crashes it in the first five minutes. Um, go team?

What was the point of it? What was wrong with Pulse or Academia? Why did they feel the need to create an entirely pointless new floating moon thing to live on, when they had tons of space that they already weren't using?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    This seriously bugs me about FFXIII-2's plot. Why the heck would you ever build a second Cocoon? What the heck is the point? You already have this lovely city filled with people. You have an entire world to expand across, as they haven't covered nearly all of Pulse yet. So why the heck are they building a new floating deathtrap?

'Cause, yeah, that's all it is. That's the entire point of FFXIII. Cocoon is a deathtrap. Nothing more. And what happens? They build a second one and Caius crashes it in the first five minutes. Um, go team?

What was the point of it? What was wrong with Pulse or Academia? Why did they feel the need to create an entirely pointless new floating moon thing to live on, when they had tons of space that they already weren't using?
    It did bug me as well. And they didn't really even give much of a reason for it. I guess the main reason is that Cocoon is going to fall in 500AF regardless, and the resulting shockwave, catastrophe etc would destroy many if not all of the settlements on Pulse, therefore the 'new' cocoon is there as a safety thing, so people won't die. I mean, Academia is very nice, but it's near the crystal pillar, or so it says.

I guess that's the main reason. Not a bad reason, but one they should have said more clearly.

Perhaps because it is safer for the people who used to live on Cocoon to live in a place that floats, or so they thought On Pulse doesn't seem safe. Like Lebreau said "But on Pulse we had to deal with new hardships, like vicious monsters and a lack provisions."
    But this is my opinion
    And other thing that makes me curious or confuse was (SPOILER)why Hope called the new Cocoon Bhunivelze? Is there any explanation why Hope called it that?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

No. They had hundreds of years to find a way to protect Academia from whatever shockwave the falling cocoon would have caused. Also, they could just have dismanteled cocoon piece by piece instead. The plot is completely terrible and makes no sense at all, and that's it.

And no, Lebreau said those things what, three years after they left Cocoon? What makes you think they are experiencing those same problems several hundred years later,in a city that is several thousand times larger than New Bodhum?

You can't really make a city as big and prosperous as Academia if famine and monster attacks are still a real problem.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

If they were using the Graviton Cores to float a new Cocoon, why didn't they just install those into the old Cocoon? Now it won't fall. Ta-da.

Or, again, dismantle Cocoon in pieces and float them down. Using those Gravity Cores which float things. And that you have five of.

And, yeah, by the time Cocoon Mark II is built, 500 years have passed. Who the heck is pining for their lost home?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Actually, they claimed that the graviton cores were incompatible with the old cocoon's energy source, or something.

In either case, Skyblade, just give it up. I've tried very hard making sense of the tit that is in 13-2's story and it simply cannot be made sense of. Give up while you still have your sanity intact.

Articles
    Blog Entries

To be fair, I didn't even think about it. XIII-2's story was mindwarping.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Because when the original Cocoon crashed into Pulse, Pulse would be inhabitable for an extended period of time, kind of like if a chunk of an asteroid crashed into Earth, or a major nuclear event took place. That's how I interpreted it all from the way things looked in Noel's time, anyway.

There's also the whole matter of all those giant Pulsiean monsters running around that living on Cocoon would negate. You have to remember that even though people managed to build cities on Pulse, humans hadn't been living on Pulse and having to deal with Pulse's conditions for centuries, so they weren't exactly accustomed to it.

Then again, we are talking about a game where giant flying mechs equipped with arsenals of guns and canons are being fought off with swords, boomerangs and staffs and the guy with a machine gun readily available is fighting off the other guys with machine guns via his fists, so I see no need to split hairs on the matter.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Because when the original Cocoon crashed into Pulse, Pulse would be inhabitable for an extended period of time, kind of like if a chunk of an asteroid crashed into Earth, or a major nuclear event took place. That's how I interpreted it all from the way things looked in Noel's time, anyway.
    So take Cocoon apart and lower it gently to the ground in pieces. You have weapons, you have tons of tools, you have hundreds of airships, this is not a hard process.

Use the Graviton Cores to keep it in the air. Don't give me this "incompatible power source stuff, Cocoon's power source was gone anyway, since that was the Fal'Cie. Whatever new power source they're using could have been put in the old Cocoon, that thing had tons of space in it.

Reinforce the pillar. They had five hundred years to think of a plan, and we've seen what they could do for construction in that time. Heck, a bulldozer of dirt a day would basically have Cocoon resting on a mountain long before the crystal pillar every collapsed.

Build a blast shell. While Cocoon is large, it's also mostly hollow. It's also not that far off the ground anymore. So it has a much lower mass than a standard moon, and would be accelerating for a much shorter time than an object falling from orbit. It's force wouldn't be much more than a nuke, and between force fields and earthworks, you could easily contain the majority of the damage.

There's also the whole matter of all those giant Pulsiean monsters running around that living on Cocoon would negate. You have to remember that even though people managed to build cities on Pulse, humans hadn't been living on Pulse and having to deal with Pulse's conditions for centuries, so they weren't exactly accustomed to it.
    Yes, yes they were. Maybe you forgot about the whole "time travel" thing, but the new Cocoon launched FIVE HUNDRED YEARS after the fall. Academia when you visit it takes place in 400 AF. And they didn't exactly looked besieged by monsters except with the Proto Fal'Cie or Caius attacked, that's one of the few standard town locations in the game.

Then again, we are talking about a game where giant flying mechs equipped with arsenals of guns and canons are being fought off with swords, boomerangs and staffs and the guy with a machine gun readily available is fighting off the other guys with machine guns via his fists, so I see no need to split hairs on the matter.
    I do.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

So take Cocoon apart and lower it gently to the ground in pieces. You have weapons, you have tons of tools, you have hundreds of airships, this is not a hard process.

Use the Graviton Cores to keep it in the air. Don't give me this "incompatible power source stuff, Cocoon's power source was gone anyway, since that was the Fal'Cie. Whatever new power source they're using could have been put in the old Cocoon, that thing had tons of space in it.

Reinforce the pillar. They had five hundred years to think of a plan, and we've seen what they could do for construction in that time. Heck, a bulldozer of dirt a day would basically have Cocoon resting on a mountain long before the crystal pillar every collapsed.

Build a blast shell. While Cocoon is large, it's also mostly hollow. It's also not that far off the ground anymore. So it has a much lower mass than a standard moon, and would be accelerating for a much shorter time than an object falling from orbit. It's force wouldn't be much more than a nuke, and between force fields and earthworks, you could easily contain the majority of the damage.
    Hope is more of an idealist than a realist? Or maybe he's just dumb? Either way he didn't think of any of these options, or we can assume for reasons unknown they didn't work.

Yes, yes they were. Maybe you forgot about the whole "time travel" thing, but the new Cocoon launched FIVE HUNDRED YEARS after the fall. Academia when you visit it takes place in 400 AF. And they didn't exactly looked besieged by monsters except with the Proto Fal'Cie or Caius attacked, that's one of the few standard town locations in the game.
    Five hundred years is hardly a long time. It's only a handful of generations, and when you're starting civilization from scratch, such drastic adaptation is a pretty tall order.

I do.
    MacGuffin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I like Kung-Fu.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post

Hope is more of an idealist than a realist? Or maybe he's just dumb? Either way he didn't think of any of these options, or we can assume for reasons unknown they didn't work.
    Or the mysterious 3rd option: SE's writers were too dumb to think about it.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My theory is just that the people are just so caught up in the thought that Pulse is evil or essentially uninhabitable. The people have always had a great fear of Pulse, and even if the fear of fal'Cie is gone, the people probably still remember the assault on Cocoon by Pulse monsters from the first game.

There is also the possibility that the people just all have the belief that there has to be a Cocoon since there always was. That's probably why Hope tried to make a man-made fal'Cie, that's how things have always been run before. Maybe even Hope is just under the assumption that Cocoon has to exist, or it could just be measure to provide a safe place for those who refuse to live on Pulse to live.

Part of me thinks that some of the issues with what the Academy is doing has to do with the fact that Hope has his hands on everything, even throughout time. Rather than leaving a foundation for others to build on based on their own experiences that have progressed from the times of XIII, they continually follow the vision of a man who (although brilliant) may not have a proper perspective to bring a better solution.

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

No reason really. To find a way to continue a story that was already finished. I like the game of XIII-2, just not the story. Made hardly any sense, but I'll still be buying LR, which also hardly makes any sense.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Not just that. There is like a dozen ways that they could have continued 13's story in a more sensible manner than loltimetravel. The one that strikes me as most obvious is the "let's find a way to free fang and vanille!"