Thread: wine service!

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Default wine service!

A proper wine service will set the course for an excellent meal when dining out. Do you enjoy a glass with dinner when applicable? What's your preferred pairing? I'm rather fond of a nice cool glass of riesling alongside grilled halibut or shellfish.
    Last edited by Jowy; 07-17-2013 at 07:30 AM. Reason: don't sniff the cork either, it makes you look like a 'tard.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I went out to dinner a few days ago and the table decided to get a bottle of wine to go with our dinner. The cheapest wine was $40. The cheapest! I mean... you can get like a dozen cheeseburgers for that price!

I really only like the cheap cheap wine. The two buck chucks and whatnot.

And honestly, if I had the choice, I would skip any alcohol in lieu of more food and desserts.

Blog Entries

Here's the thing... Bottle Service when you work in a restaurant can be a mofo. Scraping the wax/whatever off of the bottle and then having to uncork the bottle at the table and pour a "sample glass" for each person so that they can try it & make sure it tastes ok... It can be time consuming. And then if the guests decide they don't like it (I've never had that happen, so I don't know the protocol for it)..

Aside from that, alcohol in a higher-scale restaurant is usually grossly overpriced. Especially wine. That $40 you spent on a bottle in the restaurant probably only costs about $15 - $20 in a liquor store. Granted in "cheaper" places - like Logan's Roadhouse, they have happy hour and you can get a glass of uh. like. White Zin (Gag me now) for $2.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    I went out to dinner a few days ago and the table decided to get a bottle of wine to go with our dinner. The cheapest wine was $40. The cheapest! I mean... you can get like a dozen cheeseburgers for that price!

I really only like the cheap cheap wine. The two buck chucks and whatnot.

And honestly, if I had the choice, I would skip any alcohol in lieu of more food and desserts.
    YES. Black Swan wine forever. $3-$4 a bottle. I can't tell the difference between expensive wines and cheap wines.

You should have seen Philip dragging me around the store trying to find wine.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by noxious.sunshine View Post
    Here's the thing... Bottle Service when you work in a restaurant can be a mofo. Scraping the wax/whatever off of the bottle and then having to uncork the bottle at the table and pour a "sample glass" for each person so that they can try it & make sure it tastes ok... It can be time consuming. And then if the guests decide they don't like it (I've never had that happen, so I don't know the protocol for it)..
    From what I've understood, that's only to make sure the wine isn't damaged by a bad cork or otherwise off, not to make sure the guest likes it. Of course, many restaurants would probably bring out a new wine regardless, if you were bold enough to ask for it.

Wine is my life elixir and in most cases my drink of choice.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh man, babe! That coffee wine!

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Oh man, babe! That coffee wine!
    Coffee Pinotage! Yeah, that was a good one

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I want some now ;-;

keep your spoiled grape juice away from me

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER)

Obey Cary Grant and exit this thread.

Blog Entries

lol That's true. I forgot about the corkage thing. hahaha. But yeah, managers are unlikely to refuse a new bottle of wine.

We used to drink Mad Dog 20/20 in Phoenix.. XDDDDD Banana Red - $3 for a big bottle. Yeah buddy.