Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outta the loop.

Blog Entries

Nom nom nom Outta the loop.

So it's been a few year since I've done any serious gaming, and I got introduced to a lot of 'current' gaming thanks to our pal Jowy. I haven't owned a console in years and my pc can currently hold up on older games but nothing too new.

So when I start rebuilding myself, what should I play? I basically am stepping into this a new born babe, and just walking into the light.

Basically, I don't really know what kind of games I "like". I've played the Pokemans and the Halo's and the COD's but what other games are there. I like RPG's but sometimes I get really frustrated and quit. I'm gonna end up playing solitare for the rest of my life if I'm not careful.

A little help?
    now safe beneath their wisdom, and their feet;
    here i will teach you truly how, to sleep.

If you get a 3DS or a DS, there is a big variety of RPG's, some simple such as DQ IX, or some that will bust your balls like Devil Summoner 2. Also the 3DS has a pretty well done LoZ;OoT!

If you look to next gen, PS4 seems the best bet with all the indie support. If you get frustrated easily, some simple Indie games may be your thing! THough really you can get that of Steam on your PC.

Really maybe just going Steam is your best bet!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

What kind of games do you like playing? I realise you don't know, but there must be some kind of vague idea. xD

Blog Entries

Shauna I really don't...I mean I like stuff that isn't just like the first Mario and cut and dry where you scroll jump on things and win, I like games that require a bit more thought. But it's really difficult for me to get into something for a long period of time. If this were 10+ years ago I probably would be more interested.

For the record I have steam, and I have tf2, l4d, l4d2 and a few other "games" but not sure if this computer can run them alright.

I have borderlands but i only got that because the "tank" character is hot lol. (Salvador is hotter in the second one tho)

I used to like shoot em up games (halo) but those are even boring.

AH HA, I like games that I can play with friends as well, like when I had a 360 my brother and I used to play -a lot- of games together and just being able to talk to him and be crazy was fun. Plus his friends getting in there was awesome so maybe multiplayer?

I also had a WoW account for a while, which...it was WoW.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Man, that's tough if you like games with a little more thought but you don't have patience!

I think Portal would be a good choice. That's been a pretty acclaimed title of the last cycle, that had a great balance of accessibility and challenge. If you wanna talk Xbox 360, it's had a lot of wonderful Indie games that have certainly left their mark: Limbo, Bastion, Fez, Super Meat Boy, and more plain fun stuff like Castle Crashers. If you're talking more big blockbuster titles, Batman: Arkham Asylum and City are pretty well acclaimed, as are Assassin's Creed II and some of its sequels.

I'm a PS3/PC/handheld guy and I readily admit the games I like are not for everyone. But my favorite titles that wowed me over the last few years are Valkyria Chronicles 1 & 2, Uncharted 2 & 3, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Metal Gear Solid 4 & Peace Walker (PW is available on 360 with some really fun co-op), Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 2 and 3, Crusader Kings II, Far Cry 2, The Witcher, White Knight Chronicles, Rune Factory, God of War III, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, the Dragon Quest IV-VI remakes and all of the Call of Duty games.

Blog Entries

I think it's ADD or something lol.

These are all great ideas, once I'm able to afford a console and games again I'm definitely looking into them, right now I can only play the few I have and minecraft, but even in minecraft I'm lucky if I can build a hut without getting so frustrated I quit.

What kind of movies do you like? Or television series? That'll probably help give us a baseline for answering better. If you have gaming ADD, then you probably need some kind of set-piece game that's short and intense. Something like Uncharted, or Journey

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Uncharted, Journey, Skyrim, Far Cry 3. Those would probably be my suggestions based on what you've said so far. A little mix.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

good good
    i'll take these notes down BoB and everyone.
    Skyrim is supposed to work on my computrex but I haven't tried it yet
    anyways, i guess i just have trouble keeping my attention on games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Are you into puzzle games at all? If you are, then a stab at the Professor Layton series of games is a seriously sound investment. I love them all.

And again, I cannot stress that Phoenix Wright is a stellar game series. I've not even played any of them yet (but I want to so badly!).

I'd definitely consider looking to see if you have a game or two that checks the 'group eligible' criteria. Multi-player games like CoD fulfil this, but Mario Kart is always a great party/friends game. Definitely have at least a game or two that you can play with friends that isn't online multiplayer.

Blog Entries

I tried getting into PL and it was...I don't know the puzzles were challenging but if I remember correctly there was a lot of math? And I'm terrible at it

Phoenix Wright always has my heart because of gumshoe <3

Always a fan of mario kart, used to play for hours with my brother on the ole' snes inventing new games within the 2 player challenge mode, just having a good old time.

Man I really need system/console lol

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by snacks View Post
    I think it's ADD or something lol.

These are all great ideas, once I'm able to afford a console and games again I'm definitely looking into them, right now I can only play the few I have and minecraft, but even in minecraft I'm lucky if I can build a hut without getting so frustrated I quit.
    ADD isn't preventing me from completing games...
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

I really only play a few games. Guild Wars 2, Civilization 5 and Battlefield Bad Company 2.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Get Steam and start playing the games that come with trading cards. I know you said your PC is older but there are a lot of older or less-intensive Steam games that are a lot of fun. My suggestion to start with the ones with cards is really only because there's so much on Steam and you might feel overwhelmed!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Not to mention such a breadth of free-to-play offerings, including Valve's latest: DOTA 2!