Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Nah I haven't read the books. I guess having seen and read Battle Royale I sort of knew what to expect, but at least in that it focuses more on all the students for the most part. In this there was never really any questionable doubt that Katniss wouldn't survive. I guess seeing the first one when the sequel was already out didn't really help with that either, but even then the narrative is so centrally focused around Katniss there's no doubt that she'd survive.

In the films at least I don't really feel like any of the characters had any sort of depth to them. Perhaps this perception is better coming in with additional knowledge from the books. I dunno, the films just feel too centered around Katniss. Like I get she's the main character and all, but actual interesting plot progressing elements like "they bombed the hell out of district 12 but I got your mother and sister out in time" or what little elements of backstory we get about other characters are confined to like 3 minutes screentime each.

I guess more than anything I just find Katniss's character excrutiating in general and would love for some focus to be given to the other characters beyond a few minutes here and there. Honestly I would've found the 2nd film a lot more interesting if Katniss had actually died and that was the spark that ignited the rebellion. But for me I just found it predictable who allied with her and who didn't. I'm also expecting that in the third film one of those allies will betray Katniss, probably under the lure of power/money or due to love or blackmail from President Snow (or possibly all 3), but knowing the way the writing has been so far it will probably be the least interesting character of the lot and the justification and motives will get glossed over in 3 minutes.

I think these films just got so overhyped that I was expecting something pretty groundbreaking and engrossing, but really, the films at least are pretty average affairs, that just seem to toss cardboard cut out characters by the wayside as quick as they introduce them.

Maybe I'll give the books a read instead and see if I find those to be any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I read all three books in three days and have found your assessments to be accurate, thank you friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Reply to Shaibana about Mockingjay Coin didn't kill Prim exactly. I mean, it wasn't really intentional. Snow used Capitol children as a meat-shield figuring that District 13 wouldn't be heartless enough to sacrifice children. He was wrong. Prim was there to aid the children who were in the line of fire during the attack from District 13, when another round of bombs were sent in. If anything, Coin would've intentionally kept Prim ALIVE so as to keep Katniss on her side and on the side of District 13. She wanted her to continue to be the Mockingjay, and if District 13/Coin could no longer offer protection to Katniss' family and friends--but mostly Prim, the most beloved person in her life--why would she continue to be the propaganda Coin wanted?

And yeah, Del, Gale was never a favorite character of mine. I always hated him, but the actor they chose for him is just all sorts of wrong.
    (SPOILER)Actually it's specifically stated that Coin did it to utterly break Katniss so as to prevent her challenging her leadership. Katniss also observes that there is no way someone as young as Prim would be sent to the frontlines without authorisation from someone in a very high place. It was intentional.

What are you like a smurfing robot D: I've been meaning to get around to the third book for, I dunno... Just forever.

I enjoy them well enough even if I'm not super into them as many seem to be. Still, the movies are better put together than I predicted. I would hang out with someone named Effie Trinket all day. I don't care if she talks about mahogony the whole time.

Josh Hutcherson is hot but Peeta isn't. It's puzzling to the funny feelings in my tummy.