Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ivalice Alliance: What if we got a new entry?

The Old Skool Warrior LocoColt04's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Crysanthe Mariveaux (Ultros)

Default Ivalice Alliance: What if we got a new entry?

So the Ivalice Alliance has sat without a fresh game in quite some time; Revenant Wings was the last new entry, and that was 5-6 years ago, depending upon your region.

For those unaware, the games in the Ivalice Alliance (games taking place primarily in the realm of Ivalice) are Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Advance, Tactics Advance 2, XII, and XII: Revenant Wings. It is, with exception of FFXI's Vana'Diel (and likely soon FFXIV's Hydaelyn), the most expansive world in all of Final Fantasy. There is much of the lore yet to be expanded upon; things referenced in historical documentation in Tactics, or alluded to in FFXII.

If Square Enix were to gift us with a new entry to the realm, what era would you like to see?

Would you want a direct sequel to one of the other games? A prequel? Something between the other games but only existing in the lore without direct relation?

What type of gameplay would you like to see? A grid-based tactical warfare as in 80% of the series, or something open and freeform like FFXII?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

The next FF MMO should definitely be based in Ivalice. But that'll be some way away - so in the meantime, perhaps something a little different, such as a multiplayer version of FFTA or something, where you jump onto PSN/XBL and it start matches against random opponents or friends or whatever. They could even make massive war-style boards, although that could perhaps take a little too long.

...oh man. RTS! I want an FFRTS set in Ivalice and based on FFTA!

EDIT: I would also settle for an XCOM-esque take on FFTA with the much larger maps, multiple enemies, etc.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Seeing as FFT is the only game in the Ivalice Alliance that has made it above an 'eh, ok...' in my books the only thing that is likely to interest me is a true FFT2.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    The next FF MMO should definitely be based in Ivalice.
    WHY WASN'T FOURTEEN SET HERE TO BEGIN WITH

This is the ultimate opinion.

Velo, define "true FFT2" - how would you want it tied back into the original? Which characters would take point?

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I would love a true FFT2, but that is never going to happen.

BoB's idea of an MMO would be pretty interesting, despite the fact that I'm not much of an MMO junkie. That would allow for the most opportunity to build the lore of Ivalice.

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by LocoColt04 View Post
    Velo, define "true FFT2" - how would you want it tied back into the original? Which characters would take point?
    I guess my point does need an some elaboration, the phrase "true FFT2" was probably misleading.

I don't mean so much a direct story sequel, but a game that is same in terms of style, tone and mechanics. I didn't have any problem with FFTA having a completely different world/story, I just felt that the final product was just as much generic SRPG as FFT series entry.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Isn't, like, Vagrant Story also a part of the Ivalice Alliance? Taking that route could be really interesting.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Aye sir, it's in the OP

I would love love love to see that. Honestly, I would just love to see anything new in Ivalice at this point. As much as I love shelling out money for more and more copies of my second-favorite FF title (vanilla Tactics and all its ports/remakes), I just need something new.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but if you're honest about wanting to see a "FFT2" then you need to play Tactics Ogre. Yes, it is a "remake" of a 90's SNES game, but the only viable English version was released in 2011 on PSP, made by the original team (yes, that includes Matsuno), and was more a reimagining and "true manifestation" of the original concept document rather than a port or a remake. It is in every way the same art/music aesthetic, mature tone, political/religious intrigue, and dramatic storytelling of Final Fantasy Tactics, except it also has moral choices, branching storylines, a multitude of endings, better balance, and an unreasonable amount of bonus content and side quests, much of which were exclusively created for for the 2011 version. PSPs are dirt cheap; if you have a soul, you'll buy this now.

Yes, I want a new entry and it is most likely coming sooner than you think. Many of the developers are still at Square, others are freelancers who work closely with them, and Matsuno himself recently resigned from Level-5 to prepare for his next epic project. The ones still there have shown that they're still in love with the setting - they went from FFXII to War of the Lions to Tactics Ogre and with 2 years of silence, I can't help but imagine their next project is going to be big.

I wouldn't mind a successor to FFXII, since that game had the perfect blend of true-RPG control over the entire party, but with the modern urges to have a real-time flowing game. I wouldn't turn down another SRPG, though, and like others, I'd like to see a modern spin. I would like to see them take cues from Valkyria Chronicles rather than XCOM, though, since VC is the modern evolution of SRPGs, in the form of a Japanese purebred, and I find its gameplay much more interesting than the recent XCOM's.

Contributions

I thought tactics Ogre was an excellent successor to FFT in story/plot/atmosphere however combat was completely on the opposite end of the tile-turn-based SRPG spectrum. (That said, it isn't that big of a spectrum.)

Articles
    Blog Entries

It had bigger battles and a more free flowing customization system, but even then, it just knocked down the category walls, you can have as many or as little actives and passives as you want, without the arbitrary restrictions of only having one move, one support, one reaction, etc.

Other than that, it feels very similar. When I think opposite of the isometric SRPG spectrum, I think fire emblem and shining force where the battlefields are flat, turn order isn't affected by your decisions, and units aren't heavily customized, they're just carrying a weapon and maybe some recovery items. Tactics Ogre is extremely height-focused, turns change all the time, and your characters are very much an expression of the equipment and skill choices you've made. To me it really is FFT gameplay, but better thought out, better tweaked, and greatly expanded (and again, designed by the original FFT team, including Matsuno).

I should probably mention that with all the similarities and references, FFT probably was just one of the planned episodes of the Ogre Battle saga, so check them out.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Yeah, even though I'm a SRPG novice in the grand scheme of things, Tactics Ogre is smurfing sweet.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Have their ever shown the Esper scion counterparts? I would like to see Knight-Star Pashtarot, Transcendant Loghrif, Chastiser Mitron, Truth Angel Emet-Selch, Martyr Igeyorhm, Halmarut, Fandaniel, etc.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Simple. FFT2. Nothing flashy. Hand-drawn art, free movement in towns and world map, turn-based tactical combat. I'd be fine with them trying a slightly more active tactical battle, too, like the difference between ATB and Wait (optional). Maps could be designed in finer detail than a grid of squares.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    Have their ever shown the Esper scion counterparts? I would like to see Knight-Star Pashtarot, Transcendant Loghrif, Chastiser Mitron, Truth Angel Emet-Selch, Martyr Igeyorhm, Halmarut, Fandaniel, etc.
    Yes, I want to see the Scions of Light at least referenced in a game. I hate how they are completely absent from the narrative. Another game that did something similar is Lufia 2, where they imply that there are other gods that are aligned with good that are also conveniently nowhere to be seen.
    I believe in the power of humanity.