Thread: Fan Project - FFVII Live Action Web Series

Default Fan Project - FFVII Live Action Web Series

Just wanted to share this cool fan based project:
    Final Fantasy VII: The Web Series (Unofficial Fan Project) by Shinra Productions LLC ? Kickstarter

They are trying to to make a live action web series, and my first impression is that they will do a decent job of it. They even managed to get professional actors. The actor they found for Barret looks perfect for the role.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

It really is remarkable how successful this project has been. I hope it generates enough funding; there are a metric troutload of fans who would love to see this happen, and what I have been seeing has been super promising, so I'm looking forward to it. Would've loved to get picked up as a volunteer though, just to see it all unfold.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

I just watched the teaser trailer and I have to say... wtf is going on with Aerith's forehead... its like a mile high lol.

The outfit was spot on thought so props for that, although having seen Barrets gun arm... if they could touch it up with a bit of cgi rather then use an actual prop that would be the better option I think.

Of course I am hesitant to see a live action movie/tv series if it gets taken out of the hands of the fans who started the project, as you know they will inevitably smurf it up by altering the story and that I feel will make the fans leave the show.

One thing I am dreading is seeing those words "Based" upon the story of ffvii.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

We actually had an interview with the people behind this a few months back:

Eyes on Final Fantasy - An Interview with the brains behind Final Fantasy VII: The Series

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Carl the Llama View Post
    I just watched the teaser trailer and I have to say... wtf is going on with Aerith's forehead... its like a mile high lol.

The outfit was spot on thought so props for that, although having seen Barrets gun arm... if they could touch it up with a bit of cgi rather then use an actual prop that would be the better option I think.

Of course I am hesitant to see a live action movie/tv series if it gets taken out of the hands of the fans who started the project, as you know they will inevitably smurf it up by altering the story and that I feel will make the fans leave the show.

The teaser trailer, if it's the one I think you saw, is completely different to what's actually going on.

Also, don't worry about the script. One of the guys writing the thing is really well known for his writings on FFVII. It's in good hands, I think! They assembled an impressive team

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl the Llama View Post

The teaser trailer, if it's the one I think you saw, is completely different to what's actually going on.

Also, don't worry about the script. One of the guys writing the thing is really well known for his writings on FFVII. It's in good hands, I think! They assembled an impressive team
    As awesome as that sounds I am not about to get my hopes up untill I see it released and see some of the action for myself.

I once suggested to a gaming company that VII should be made into a comic book. If it were to be made successfully into a LAS, I would certainly hope the cast is up to snuff.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you check the kickstarter again, you can see it has been taken down for now. Square Enix started an intellectual property dispute with them over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

They probably should've cleared it with Square Enix before starting a kickstarter. Not just part of departments, but the actual legal side. Money changing hands does things like that.

I just came across an old project from January that is strikingly similar to this project called Mario Warfare, which is on YouTube, and they were funded by Kickstarter: Mario Warfare - Let's Finish This! by Beat Down Boogie ? Kickstarter

Apparently it can happen. Not entirely sure about what's going on. I realize Nintendo is a lot more lenient. And it's also possible they even cleared it with Nintendo. Or that there is a thing in place where it's "Just different enough" to not be an infringement. And I guess Square is notorious for the whole Cease-and-Dessist towards their fans being creative with their works

Just interesting how such similar projects ended so differently. Would have been nice to see the Final Fantasy one come to fruition

If you ask me, they oughtn't have publicized it until it was finished...