Thread: MogTrivia Week

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Argh so close yet so far! What a fun little event. Guess I will continue the fun over in #trivia. See you there!

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Hm, some of those answers I have to call out as incorrect. Also, if there is more than one correct answer, but you list only one, do the others still count? Like the FFIV reference in FFX - Magus Sisters is one, but there were two other definite FFIV references given as answers (Kain's Lance and the spoony bard line).

A single Wild Nakk does not give 625 gil in FFV, it gives 125. 625 is the total you get for killing a group of five Wild Nakk.

You can, in fact, fight three different Abductors three times. The island trap, Val Castle gates, and Exdeath's Castle in the room where you have to time the switch to line up the moving path with the exit. If the path lands in front of a pillar, a monster pops out and attacks you. Each pillar has a set monster that will appear from it. In fact, you can repeatedly trigger the pillar trap that springs the Abductor on you and fight it as many times as you like.

The Geomancer is not the only job that gives all positive boosts in FFV, since the Mystic Knight/Sorcerer also gives all positives, as do the Advance-exclusive Necromancer and Cannoneer.

Cloud's birthday is only the 19th in the instruction manual, which is riddled with errors. All other, more authoritative sources, confirm his birthday is supposed to be the 11th. Since the instruction manual, shoddy as it is, does say it, I would count both as correct, though.

Reno's last name is not Sinclair. This was taken from an unofficial doujin (japanese fanfiction) and got spread around, but is completely untrue.

The Shinra conference room is on the 66th floor, not the 67th. 67th is the science floor where all the Jenova and Red XIII shenanigans take place.

Only the cyborg Esthar soldiers are weak to lighting. The human ones are weak to poison.

Jobless Jeff is Jeff's textbox name before he gets together with Part-time Worker Mary. Once they open up their shop together, he is known as Part-time Worker Jeff from that point on. Don't know if you didn't count that or not.

Same with the Zodiac Spear question. Are you counting Henne Mines or not?

As for the ability all monsters are immune to in Tactics, why Hellcry Punch specifically? All equipment-breaking abilities (the regular Knight ones as well as Meliadoul's and Orlandu's special ones like Hellcry Punch) will always fail on monsters. Also, while researching this answer I remembered that all equipment breaking attacks still work on monsters in the War of the Lions version of Tactics, and just do damage instead of breaking equipment. Also, there is, in fact, one attack that monsters truly are immune to in all versions of the game (which I did not know until I looked it up) - The Wildbow's Nose Bracelet/Snort attack will only work on humans.

Izlude does have Maintenance as one of his set abilities, but Elmdor's job class has inherent Maintenance, making him also immune to stealing or breaking equipment. The only version where this does not work (possibly due to a glitch) is the English Playstation version. In the original Japanese version and the War of the Lions version, you cannot steal Elmdor's much-coveted Genji equipment and Masamune.

As was mentioned, Bandersnatch and Jabberwocky are not the only Woodwraith-type enemies in FF13, with Enki and Enil being the first Woodwraith-types you fight.

I have no idea where that name of the Law card from FFTA is coming from. I booted up the game and tried to find such a name, but the cards are called what I remembered them being - simply the name of whatever's forbidden. The card that forbids items is simply called "Item". I even watched a playthrough on youtube of the beginning of the game and the battle in question, and the Judge never calls the law anything particular. Googling the term "R2-4601 final fantasy" brings up a site called funtrivia.com as the only place where the law is called that, which also has many of the other suspect questions as well. I'm assuming you pulled many of the questions from that site, but, unfortunately, it is not a very reliable source and more than a few of its answers are inaccurate or flat-out wrong.

Hate to be "that guy" but, well, heh, I am that guy. Trivia. Serious business, yo.
    Currently writing a massive prequel to FFVI. Starts thousands of years before the game begins with the birth of magic, and chronicles the entire history of the FFVI world. Check it out!

Final Fantasy VI - The Sands of Time

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by espritduo View Post
    Hm, some of those answers I have to call out as incorrect. Also, if there is more than one correct answer, but you list only one, do the others still count? Like the FFIV reference in FFX - Magus Sisters is one, but there were two other definite FFIV references given as answers (Kain's Lance and the spoony bard line).

A single Wild Nakk does not give 625 gil in FFV, it gives 125. 625 is the total you get for killing a group of five Wild Nakk.

You can, in fact, fight three different Abductors three times. The island trap, Val Castle gates, and Exdeath's Castle in the room where you have to time the switch to line up the moving path with the exit. If the path lands in front of a pillar, a monster pops out and attacks you. Each pillar has a set monster that will appear from it. In fact, you can repeatedly trigger the pillar trap that springs the Abductor on you and fight it as many times as you like.

The Geomancer is not the only job that gives all positive boosts in FFV, since the Mystic Knight/Sorcerer also gives all positives, as do the Advance-exclusive Necromancer and Cannoneer.

Cloud's birthday is only the 19th in the instruction manual, which is riddled with errors. All other, more authoritative sources, confirm his birthday is supposed to be the 11th. Since the instruction manual, shoddy as it is, does say it, I would count both as correct, though.

Reno's last name is not Sinclair. This was taken from an unofficial doujin (japanese fanfiction) and got spread around, but is completely untrue.

The Shinra conference room is on the 66th floor, not the 67th. 67th is the science floor where all the Jenova and Red XIII shenanigans take place.

Only the cyborg Esthar soldiers are weak to lighting. The human ones are weak to poison.

Jobless Jeff is Jeff's textbox name before he gets together with Part-time Worker Mary. Once they open up their shop together, he is known as Part-time Worker Jeff from that point on. Don't know if you didn't count that or not.

Same with the Zodiac Spear question. Are you counting Henne Mines or not?

As for the ability all monsters are immune to in Tactics, why Hellcry Punch specifically? All equipment-breaking abilities (the regular Knight ones as well as Meliadoul's and Orlandu's special ones like Hellcry Punch) will always fail on monsters. Also, while researching this answer I remembered that all equipment breaking attacks still work on monsters in the War of the Lions version of Tactics, and just do damage instead of breaking equipment. Also, there is, in fact, one attack that monsters truly are immune to in all versions of the game (which I did not know until I looked it up) - The Wildbow's Nose Bracelet/Snort attack will only work on humans.

Izlude does have Maintenance as one of his set abilities, but Elmdor's job class has inherent Maintenance, making him also immune to stealing or breaking equipment. The only version where this does not work (possibly due to a glitch) is the English Playstation version. In the original Japanese version and the War of the Lions version, you cannot steal Elmdor's much-coveted Genji equipment and Masamune.

As was mentioned, Bandersnatch and Jabberwocky are not the only Woodwraith-type enemies in FF13, with Enki and Enil being the first Woodwraith-types you fight.

I have no idea where that name of the Law card from FFTA is coming from. I booted up the game and tried to find such a name, but the cards are called what I remembered them being - simply the name of whatever's forbidden. The card that forbids items is simply called "Item". I even watched a playthrough on youtube of the beginning of the game and the battle in question, and the Judge never calls the law anything particular. Googling the term "R2-4601 final fantasy" brings up a site called funtrivia.com as the only place where the law is called that, which also has many of the other suspect questions as well. I'm assuming you pulled many of the questions from that site, but, unfortunately, it is not a very reliable source and more than a few of its answers are inaccurate or flat-out wrong.

Hate to be "that guy" but, well, heh, I am that guy. Trivia. Serious business, yo.
    Heh, I found most of the questions through some trivia site years ago while preparing for an event with a group a few years ago, so I'm probably sure these are incorrect as you claim. I haven't really gone to check the accuracy of the answers, so I just went with them. My apologies if you feel cheated by this, esprit.

As for the Item Prohibition answer. I think this should suffice a good explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Rune: Damn it....! Medicine...a potion....

((Rune uses a potion. The Judge blows a whistle.))

Judge: Violation of Law #R2-4601: Item Prohibition! The perpetrator of
    this crime shall now be transported to prison!
    Montblanc: Kupopo...transported to prison, kupo. Aaaha...don't want to go
    there, kupo.
    Marche: Prison...?
    Montblanc: The place where people are sent temporarily if they break the
    law, kupo. It's daaark. It's a really bad place, kupo.
    Judge: Prison transfer complete. Those who wish to speak with him can go
    to the Mountain Peak City Spurom Prison.
    Marche: Spurom? A prison's there? Where the heck am I...?
    Last edited by Agent Proto; 08-05-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Hm, that sounds like a fan translation of the Japanese. The link I provided shows what the Judge actually says in the English version of that scene. Anyhoo, I don't feel cheated or anything, since everyone was being judged by the same answers and I don't think it actually changes the ranking at all. I just can't help but nitpick trivia. It's a compulsion!
    Currently writing a massive prequel to FFVI. Starts thousands of years before the game begins with the birth of magic, and chronicles the entire history of the FFVI world. Check it out!

Final Fantasy VI - The Sands of Time

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I came to this thread ready for more trivia forgetting that it was all wrapped up.

I guess I didn't realize how much I enjoyed answering the questions last week.
    Figaro Castle

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by espritduo View Post
    Hm, that sounds like a fan translation of the Japanese. The link I provided shows what the Judge actually says in the English version of that scene. Anyhoo, I don't feel cheated or anything, since everyone was being judged by the same answers and I don't think it actually changes the ranking at all. I just can't help but nitpick trivia. It's a compulsion!
    YOU DARE PROVIDE US WITH FALSE ANSWERS PROTO? I SHALL STRIKE YOU DOWN!

I'm kidding. I wonder what our prizes will be though.

Okay, a prize for our lucky winner!

Formalhaut wins a brand spanking new custom rank of Trivia Master in the color of his choice! Yay! Congratulations on a great game!

As for the others, as much as I'd love to award you guys with consolation prizes, but unfortunately it seems I don't have anything prepared at the moment. However, we can expect trivia to continue on in some form or another in the future! I think we can all agree that we had fun, correct?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think next time you need to make more fair rules. Don't tell one group of people that they can't answer previous questions for points, then let another group of people answer previous questions for points.

Other than that, it was fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtime Mouse View Post
    Okay, a prize for our lucky winner!

Formalhaut wins a brand spanking new custom rank of Trivia Master in the color of his choice! Yay! Congratulations on a great game!

As for the others, as much as I'd love to award you guys with consolation prizes, but unfortunately it seems I don't have anything prepared at the moment. However, we can expect trivia to continue on in some form or another in the future! I think we can all agree that we had fun, correct?
    Oooo. Thanks Proto! I sort of knew what I'd get because I helped out in the EC for this, but I'm astounded anyway. Thanks! What do I do to obtain this lovely custom rank?

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've already contacted Del Murder about this, so get in touch with him and let him know what color you would like to have your rank in.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Oh, this is where people get those fancy colourful custom title. I wish I have one too!