Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Darn you, new fangled technology

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Ice View Post
    Books are easier on the eyes too.
    Kindles are surprisingly easy on the eyes, it's like actually reading from paper, I find. It's not like reading from a computer screen at all.

Well that sounds good then, my mom has one but I've never actually seen it on.

Computer's are so bright and usually so much white making it even more annoying.

Blog Entries

I am a lover of technology.

I am not a lover of Microsoft, though. Down with Microsoft.

EDIT: I just have moon+ reader & Kindle on my phone, so buying an eReader makes no sense. But since the kindle fire can do more than just read books, I'd like that. or an iPad.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't need an e-reader. My phone's screen is five inches and that is more than enough for me to read on.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

I enjoy the physical properties of books - the texture and scent of the page, the marginalia or bookplates, the names of former owners. I typically already carry my wallet, cellphone (not a smart phone), ipod and camera with me, and the last thing I want is to add an additional expensive electronic device for me to keep track of during my commutes and adventures. My reading list is always long enough that it is never a burden to wait for a physical copy of a book to be delivered to my house or local library.

My favourite author is unlikely to oblige and sign an e-copy of their latest work for me, but if eReaders encourage people to read, especially in an age dominated by screens, then I'm all for them. I've seen multiple independent booksellers with signs up proclaiming eReaders as an abomination, which is just ignorant and dismissive. Some people need to be able to change the font size in order to read well. Some people find the notion of paper books "boring", but presenting them on a tablet makes literature much more exciting.

My main qualm with introducing eBooks is the battle that libraries have had with publishing houses in order to be able to lend them out to patrons. Penguin's (Now, Penguin Random House) eBooks may only be lent to one library patron at a time, and the library has to purchase a "new" copy of the eBook every year, even though if they stocked the physical copy of the same book (for the same price) it could last decades. Random House eBooks specifically price their eBooks at two or three times the normal rate and force libraries to buy them from specific distributors at this inflated price (Primarily, Overdrive). I'm not entirely sure what will come of the Penguin Random House merger, but I'm hopeful that they will err on the side of accessibility.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by noxious.sunshine View Post

What operating system do you use then? Hopefully it's Linux!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Taking bets on Apple.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noxious.sunshine View Post

What operating system do you use then? Hopefully it's Linux!
    Windows 8. lmao... I'm stuck with it for now.. It's the BF's laptop.

I installed Ubuntu last year on the netbook my ex bought... And I -really- wanted to transfer all my crap over to that partition of the hard drive, but I couldn't? IDK. Otherwise, Apple. I had a macbook and I looooved it. It was my other child.

Mac: doing the same trout as a PC except play games for twice the cost (TM)

or

Mac: doing most of the same trout as Linux for infinity times the cost (TM)

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I will never understand this anti-ereader stuff. I get attached to words, not what the words are printed on.
    I will elaborate a little on my previous statement in saying that I do love ereaders in concept. I think they are great for trips in particular when you don't want to lug around large books, and they can also be more comfortable to read in bed. I just prefer physical books because of the ease of being able to let my students borrow them and such. Also, getting a lot of public domain classic books for free is awesome. I also just like the aesthetics of having a large library of books in my house, but that is a very small factor for me. In the end it comes down to which version is cheaper and which is more practical for my uses.

And ebooks are not always cheaper than the physical version. I've come across a lot of books that are cheaper by a couple of dollars (or even more sometimes) in physical form. This is even more the case if you buy used.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't particularly like the idea of a self-driving car, because I enjoy driving. It may be handy though when I want to get drunk and take my own car.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Yeah I'm really torn on the self-driving car. On the one hand, it sounds awesome. But on the other hand, I really do enjoy driving.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Me too. How does it deal with the people who cut you off and what not? Does it have sensors on the outside that can tell when someone is too close?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I'm not really sure if software services like facebook and twitter should count as "technology".

I can't think of any new technologies that I don't want to use just because they're new, but I don't care about instagram and snapchat.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

A self driving car sounds great for me who hates the though of driving; however, I wouldn't trust there to not be glitches in the system or for the car to account for other cars where drivers do unexpected things. I'm also assuming that the car would work in line with a GPS or something for navigating, and that could be bad if the GPS ever glitches or something. Wouldn't want the car to decide to turn directly into a building or off a bridge or something, or for it to just take you out into the middle of nowhere.

The kindle. I just don't really see the point OR want to use it. If I wanted to read a book, I'd also want to own the hardback or paperback form of it, so I'd just go buy it. /: