Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this game romantic?

Quote Originally Posted by noxious.sunshine View Post
    I freaking -loathe- The Notebook
    I don't like it either, but it's the only romance movie I know of that would be familiar to people.

I haven't exactly had a lot of opportunity to watch romantic movies lately, but the one I would recommend would be Secretary. Though it can get kind of ... what's the word ... intense? If you're squeamish, I'd say Amélie.
    Last edited by Spooniest; 07-31-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It, um, tries?

Tries.

tries.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I'd say it's romantic at times, yeah.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

It has its moments. Not exactly the mushy gushy romance of teen novels but I did fall in love with the pairing.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Romance is obviously an important thread. There are several romances or attempted/failed romances throughout the game, showing them all in a different light and what have you. I don't think they succeed throughout, though. For instance, the Squall-Rinoa romance is weak, which is poor considering its place at the centre of the game. Even the cover demonstrates it as being core to the game.

But the dynamics between Squall-Quistis and the Squall-Rinoa-Seifer thing are interesting, and Squall-Rinoa is helped by how tragic Laguna-Julia is. Laguna-Raine is also tragically beautiful, and Cid-Edea is interesting too.

I don't know if I would sit down to play an RPG instead of watching a chick flick though, kind of different media.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I always hated the Squall-Quistis thing. I think it can be argued that Laguna-Julia hold the best romanctic story, but I suppose it isn't a competition.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I always hated the Squall-Quistis thing. I think it can be argued that Laguna-Julia hold the best romanctic story, but I suppose it isn't a competition.
    The fact that it was taken any further is what makes it perfect. Love isn't always requited. Quistis had to deal with the fact that her strong feelings (however it was split between lover, pseudo-sibling, and teacher) weren't returned and that another girl was on the scene. I mean, it could have used some more development, but most of the bigger points in the games suffered from flaws and holes so I'm glad they left it as is - a nice sidenote adding to the game without taking anything away.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's just it - if it had more development, I think I would have liked the triangle more. It would have been a square, really, with the Squall-Rinoa-Seifer thing. Everyone loves a drama bomb!

My wife is playing this for the first time at the moment (well, when it's not 30+ freaking degrees outside!). She's not terribly far yet (not even going to Timber yet) but she's already ascertained one thing:

She doesn't like Quistis.

For those who say Rinoa is whiny, just go back and pay attention to any of Quistis' dialogue on Disc 1. It's either whiny, preachy or both. My wife is also a fan of Enemy Skills/Blue Magic, having used E-Skill to the point of getting three filled by the time she went to the final boss and using Quina with a somewhat worrying bloodlust. So when I told her that Quistis was the Blue Magic user and that it was only through her Limit Break that just escalated her hatred for the blonde bimbo.

Back to the topic of the love story - What people need to remember is that love (not just romantic love) is a central plot point. Remember when they find out that they all grew up together on Disc 2? Zell felt conflicted about the whole thing because he loves his adopted parents back in Balamb. Raijin and Fujin have love of their friendship with Seifer, which is why they follow him, up until Fujin's speech on the Lunatic Pandora. Seifer's romantic dream of being a Sorceress' Knight keeps him doing what he does. Hell, even the White SeeDs do what they do because of their connection to Ellone as a sister-figure and because of their love Matron.

So, love is a many-structured object within the game and it's not just romantic love.
    [You spit on mercy? Then you will have none! You want carnage?!]

[Garrosh will get more blood than EVER he bargained for!]

It seems people tend to focus on the easily relatable elements of any given Final Fantasy game.

Final Fantasy 1? "It was the first one." Final Fantasy 2? "It was dogtrout." Final Fantasy 3? "Job System." Final Fantasy 4? "Paladin." Final Fantasy 5? "Job System, again." Final Fantasy 6? "Opera House." Final Fantasy 7? "Aerith."

And Final Fantasy 8 is "The one with the love story."

Even as far back as Final Fantasy 1, romance has been an element. If you speak with Princess Sara after she gives you the Lute, there's a definite subtext of some sort. The King comments that she always worries about you.

It's an interesting trend that the romantic subplots grew increasingly prominent in the series over time. I wonder why that was?

In any case, Final Fantasy VIII has many elements in its narrative that revolve around the theme of love in all its forms, whether platonic, familial, patriotic, or romantic.

But even with all those elements, a given story cannot be in and of itself "romantic" without a certain investment from the reader. The reader's heart must be stirred in some way.

So I guess a better question (though a much more biased one), and one probably much more difficult to answer without putting yourself out on a limb, you self-conscious EoFFer*, you, is...

Does it get to ya? Do you get the sniffles when you hear this?

*I cry like a baby.
    Last edited by Spooniest; 08-02-2013 at 08:17 AM.

From the soundtrack, there are three songs which stir my emotions, and I'm not just talking about the emotion of love.

That last one is so simple and yet it conveys the feelings of loss superbly.

Quote Originally Posted by Synoptikal View Post
    You spoony bard!

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    You spoony bard!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge
    "I'm no spoony bard, I'll have you know!"

Yes but it can be rather cheesy at times and clumsily written at times.

This may sound stupid but it sort of reminds me of Disney's version of Beauty and the Beast ? They start off hating each other, fighting, not getting along, both of them feeling like they want to escape from each other but they can't-

Then Squall saves her life and protects her during the Parade and then Rinoa realizes that Squall isn't such a jerkass git after all, he's just a bit closed off and anti-social and he does have a heart, just prefers to keep it closed and then they get closer and closer together while spending time together and then thus it becomes a serious relationship.

Expect the ball room happens first and not near the end.

Squall and Rinoa on the Ragnarok was a legitimately sweet and romantic scene for me.

Also "Love Grows" is a beautiful song. Never underestimate the power of a good soundtrack when it comes to your love story.