Thread: Dream Factory (Tobal 1 and 2, Ehrgeiz, The Bouncer) appreciation thread

Blog Entries

Default Dream Factory (Tobal 1 and 2, Ehrgeiz, The Bouncer) appreciation thread

I like DF's games, with my favorite being Tobal 2. I'm still pretty mad about us not getting an English version of that game. It was a very deep fighter with a nuanced grappling system, and over 200 characters to play as. I wasn't really a fan of the Quest mode (which seems to be everyone else's favorite part of the game) but the one on one fights were great. Seriously, look up some Tobal 2 matches online. Some of them even put Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter to shame. I don't have the game anymore, but I plan to get it for my birthday.

Ehrgeiz I just ended up getting the JP version of yesterday, and it's better than I remembered. Once you get used to the crazy-ass controls, it's fun. The novelty of having the FFVII characters in there doesn't wear off very easily, either. I actually like this game's quest mode better than Tobal 2's for some reason. Maybe it's because the controls are actually tailor-made for it.

The Bouncer was pretty cool at the time, but is really dated now. I liked how the first few times you beat the game, the enemies would scale up with you. Of course, this meant I could never beat the 4th Dauragon. I wish the game was more like it was in beta form, with weapons you could use, and context-sensitive moves. In a way Square pretty much ruined the original game. It's still fun if you've never played it, but the fun wears off fast. Still, it's a great looking game and there are lots of moves to pull off.

Any EoFFers ever played any of these games? What are your opinions on them?
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

The best thing about Tobal 2 was that you could fight as a Chocobo.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Blog Entries

Oh c'mon DMKA. Don't downplay Tobal 2's awesomeness like that.
    Although it is true.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

I've got a save on floor 20 or something of Ehrgeiz's Quest mode on hard difficulty, just waiting for me to remember about it when I have the time to try and beat it to see what happens...

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ehrgeiz is so much fun. I haven't played any of the others though.

I did enjoy the ending to one of the character's stories in Ehrgeiz that just involved watching him eat ramen forever.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah Ehrgeiz was a really fast, fluid, and overall fun 3d fighting game, I like how there were platforms and stuff in some of the levels. The Quest mode was pretty addicting, but there's only so long I can delve into an endless dungeon - and that's countless hours apparently.

I also liked the FFVII trailers they had if you beat the tournament with one of the characters.

Wasn't Zack in the game?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

The Bouncer was smurfing sweet.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

I know this thread is two months old but it's 1. my thread and 2. I ended up finding Tobal 2 last night at Warp Zone. I had forgotten how awesome the game is. I don't like the method you use to unlock the monsters, but the Quest mode itself is ok. I just unlocked Mufu for the first time ever, and he's a cheap bastard.