Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I NEED this game.

GXXE01-1.png

What? Ok, well I guess it makes sense from your perspective, mom. I'd want to get the crazy little spaz away from my delicate lab equipment at every opportunity too. But, seriously, think of what you're putting me through!

GXXE01-2.png

Most. Epic. "Let's Play". EVER.
    I am clearly going to have to step up my game.

GXXE01-3.png

Right, never mind the police, proper authorities, or tons of trained professionals around. The kid with the Eevee is the only one who can be counted on to get the job done.

Now I know we're back in a Pokémon game.

GXXE01-4.png

Brilliant deduction there, Holmes. Their base "could" be to the southeast. Along with, you know, most of the rest of the Orre region.

Go back to your science stuff, and leave the bad guys to me, ok? I'm sure I'll find them and be rescuing people before too long.

GXXE01-5.png

AIDAN, you gave me the Snag Machine, so I like you. But watch yourself. Call me her assistant again and there will be repercussions.

Xemnas thought I was a good assistant too.

GXXE01-6.png

Oh my gosh, it's the Ansem Reports! I take back everything I said. As long as you leave the story to the game and not some ridiculous codex, we're good, ok?

Well, at least these are just backstory pieces. They fill us in a bit on the Shadow Pokémon and Aura Reader, as well as the reasons for developing the Snag Machine.

Originally the Snag Machine was created to steal Pokémon for criminal purposes (and, in fact, many of the Snagged Pokémon that Team Snag'em acquired five years ago were turned into Shadow Pokémon). The Snag Machine was redeveloped and combined with the Aura Reader so that it would be a tool for rescuing Shadow Pokémon.

Which we kind of already knew, but whatever.

GXXE01-7.png

That's just because an open sea is easier to program than useless junk in the background, JOVI. Wait, don't run off, I don't want to have to rescue you from-

GXXE01-8.png

Well, I was going to say "from drowning", but I guess "from the seven foot tall dude you're too blind to see directly in front of you" works too.

GXXE01-9.png

Ok, first, if your look can be messed up by a two foot girl bumping into your ankle, you're not the coolest guy around (that would be me).

Further evidence: You still use the term "happening".

Oh, now you're threatening me with a Shadow Pokémon, are you? Bring it, punk!

GXXE01-10.png

Are you sure? The series is partially based around fighting people who do something insignificant to you. Like cross your line of sight.

GXXE01-11.png

So, would this make you Lance or Giovanni? Either way, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to fight that Alakazam at some point.

GXXE01-12.png

But he has a Shadow Zangoose! And I want it!

Oh well, they're gone. Time to explore the port!

By the way, I'm worried I might be going a bit overboard. I'm not getting through the game very quickly at all, because I have so many pictures to upload and comments to make. If you all are enjoying them, great, but I am worrying about using all of EoFF's storage space if I keep up at this rate. I have 30 more pictures before I even exit Gateon Port!

Although, if there is no problem with that, that does mean I have plenty of update material to roll out. So, if you guys want, I can get things going even faster. Relatively. More content, even if progression is still relatively slow.

Hmm, maybe I should just buy Fraps and do this as a video Let's Play. But then there'd be all the potential for mistakes, not to mention sound editing. Bah, never mind.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 08-07-2013 at 09:03 PM.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't mind. It's very good! The game is amusing, just like a normal Pokemon Game!

Massive Update Number One!

Exploring Gateon Port.

GXXE01-1.png

The news is now talking about the attack on the Pokémon HQ and Professor Krane's abduction. They confirm a Shadow Pokémon was used, but no information about my awesomeness.

Normally, I might be miffed about this. However, the longer my Snag Machine goes unnoticed, the more time I have to set up my world domination plans.

GXXE01-2.png

Hey, Jovi's right about something for once (I'm sick of doing the names in all caps. Best change Black and White introduced to the series). Nice to see someone recognizes my awesomeness.

GXXE01-3.png

You live in a world where people casually walk around with ghosts, monsters, and legends, and make them fight each other for fun and money. You should have no shortage of material.

GXXE01-4.png
    GXXE01-5.png

Ah, nostalgia. I remember getting this same talk back when I first played Pokémon Red. The buildings weren't as pretty though.

Let's go check out the local café though.

GXXE01-6.png

Their bouncers kind of a jerk. Time to learn him some respect!

GXXE01-7.png

Some important things to note in this screenshot. First, it's a double battle. Surprised? Well, don't be. Almost every battle in Pokémon XD is a double battle. I'm serious. One of the things I love about this game is that it's all double battles. So much more fun. More strategy, better flexibility, less capable of steamrolling everyone with a single Pokémon... Seriously epic.

Next, you notice the Call option? Well, that's a new function to this game. It is related to the Shadow Pokémon, and I'll bring up its use there when I get the opportunity, but since they included it, they also gave it some functionality to non-Shadow Pokémon.

Using Call at any normal time gives your Pokémon an Accuracy boost. Just as if you'd used an Accuracy-X. Helpful if you have an opponent spamming Sand Attack or Double Team, but other than that, fairly useless. Calling a Sleeping Pokémon, however, wakes them up. This is huge. It means Awakenings are now only useful out of combat, and Sleep only lasts for one turn against you. It's a great little addition that makes that annoying status effect go away.

Anyway, excuse me while I beat this guy's Pokémon up.

GXXE01-8.png

Much better, thank you.

Oh, and there wasn't even a rule that I had to beat you to get in? You were just bored? Well, I hope getting beaten by a kid half your age and having him take your money taught you a lesson.

GXXE01-9.jpg

Hmm, powerful Pokémon and loads of cash. So he goes about challenging everyone they see and taking their money too? We have so much in common!

Excuse me mister bartender. I'm just going to go behind the bar (you can open that little employee swing bar-top thing) and down the stairs for a minute...

GXXE01-10.png

Jackpot, Super Potion! Anything in one of these Pokéchests is free for trainers by law, right?

GXXE01-11.png

Upstairs we find Mr. Verich (very rich, get it?), and the nice guy in blue who used the Alakazam, and my sister politely thanks him.

GXXE01-12.jpg

We then head to the Pokémart, and find a sailor who gives us a free Potion.

GXXE01-13.png
    GXXE01-14.png

And an enthusiastic new Pokémart owner who runs the first Pokémart I've seen with no Pokéballs.

Not that it's too surprising. It's Orre, after all, and no one uses them. But worry not, Aidan is talking to the shop owners and getting them to carry Pokéballs as soon as they can be imported in to support me.

I love Aidan, it's like he wants me to take over the world by stealing everyone's Pokémon.

GXXE01-15.png

Nice song, but I wasn't here to listen to your singing, bub.

GXXE01-16.png

Actually, I just wanted to tell you that you are doing a great Barret cosplay, you just lack the proper skin color. But, whatever a battle works too.

GXXE01-17.png

Sweet! First TM!

Which I'll never use (second best addition in Black and White: TMs last forever). But still, good to have.

GXXE01-18.png

Hey, see that? Teddiursa's heart is opening. As you fight with them, or carry them around with non-Shadow Pokémon, their hearts open and they become more friendly to you as they learn to trust again. This little guy is coming along great.

GXXE01-19.png

And, as they open their hearts, they learn new moves! So Teddiursa now knows Lick, which gives me access to Paralysis, which will help when Snagging.

Also, something I forgot to mention. Shadow moves also have no PP, so they can be used indefinitely. Man, I love those things.

With the battle ended, however, it's time to continue with the plot. A quick jaunt inside the Machine Shop shows me that there is no shopkeeper, he's apparently gone to visit his friend, Dr. Kaminko. Well, no duh, that's where I saw him last. And his son is currently fixing the port's bridges (they rotate to let ships through at various times). So a rather clueless sailor is in charge right now. And he wants to tell me a story.

Well, I've got nothing better to do while I wait, so I listen. And, lo and behold, he's talking about Eevee. And what do you know, he offers me an evolution item!

GXXE01-20.png

Yeah, but Espeon doesn't evolve from a...

Wait, what's that?

GXXE01-21.png

Ok, kind of fascinating. I'll take it.

See, Pokémon XD has no day-night cycle, so the Sun Shard and Moon Shard replicate their effects. You get a friendship evolution for the one which you carry in your pack (don't toss it or put it on the PC!).

A pity they couldn't think to do something similar for Glaceon and Leafeon when they left Sinnoh.

And, fortunately, my Eevee already loves me, so we should get an evolution next time we level him up.

Well, time to go see if those bridges are fixed.

GXXE01-22.png

Yes, we were already told that, thanks.

Oh, the bridges are fixed now? Great. You made me wait, so you just sit there while I explore the rest of town, ok?

GXXE01-23.png

And far across the bridge, we spot this cheerful guy, who challenges us to a battle.

GXXE01-24.png

Shadow Pokémon alert!

A Ledyba? Really? Why would you bother turning one of the weakest Pokémon out there into a Shadow Pokémon? Well, I guess it will improve Ledyba's movepool. It's not like it could make it worse. But seriously...
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I always have the hardest time choosing what to evolve my Eevee into, so I avoid it altogether.

Articles
    Blog Entries

What I do is hold off evolving my Eevee until I get to the Day Centre (if I'm given the Eevee, I simply reset if it's male) and just start mass breeding it. After getting all the Eevees I need, I simply evolve them whenever.

In Generation IV, typically Espeon and Umbreon are the first ones to arise, mainly because they require no stones, although Leafeon is also very easy to get as it just needs to level up at that rock in the forest.

The stone evolutions are by far the hardest to get though.

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    I always have the hardest time choosing what to evolve my Eevee into, so I avoid it altogether.
    Kind of hard to avoid in this game, since it's your starter.

In Pokémon Colloseum, you actually started with an Espeon and an Umbreon, which was just awesome.

But you can always breed more in the games where breeding is allowed. There are also a few places where you can catch them in some of the games. So don't worry too much.

GXXE01-25.png

Er, yeah. Can't imagine what gave you that impression. Crazy old man.

Talk to him again. Huh, you've been missing a Pokémon since we battled? That sucks. Oh, and it was a precious gift. Hmm...

GXXE01-26.pngGXXE01-27.jpgGXXE01-28.pngGXXE01-29.png

We find more chests as we explore and climb the lighthouse. One in front, three inside.

Atop the lighthouse, we find this guy.

GXXE01-30.jpg

That is not a polite way to introduce yourself.

GXXE01-31.png

Shadow Pokémon Alert!

Ah, Poochyena. One of my mainstays of this game, Poochyena, and, later Mightyena stays with me for the majority of the game. Really quite a good little Pokémon.

GXXE01-32.jpg

And which group was this exactly?

...Really? The bad guys are so cheap that they couldn't afford to give you a costume? What is the world coming to these days.

Why, I remember a time when Team Rocket had tons of costumes in closets for their new recruits. It's a sad, sad day for villainy.

Oh, well. That's it for the town exploration. Back to the machine shop!

GXXE01-1.png

That wall safe really looks like it belongs in the Shinra building to me.

GXXE01-2.png

You've been doing research at a Pokémon Lab only to have a group of Shadow Pokémon wielding cosplayers kidnap a lead scientist, get beaten by a little kid, and drive off into the unknown?

Man, this world is crazy.

GXXE01-3.png

More Ansem Reports, yay.

More information on development of the Snag Machine and Aura Reader. Fun, quick, backstory fluff.

GXXE01-4.png

Oh my gosh, he can stand up.

GXXE01-1.png

Wait, you hear that your kids were attacked by a thug in the middle of town, and all you care about is the machine part? Geez.

GXXE01-2.png

Well, that's nice. But I can just wait for you guys to finish the Purification Chamber. Really, I'm good.

GXXE01-3.jpg

*Sigh*
    Thanks, mom. At least you showed some hesitancy and asked me to be careful this time.

Notice what I said about almost all of the Orre region being to the Southeast of Headquarters?

GXXE01-4.jpg

Oh, hey, they built a village into the remains of the Deku Tree.

GXXE01-5.jpg

Chest right inside. I like this village already.

GXXE01-6.jpg

Up and around to the left gets us a secret cave!

GXXE01-1.jpg

With a Super Potion and another Pokéball!

Oh, and the Move Tutor lady. She can teach a lot of various moves (only three right now, but more get unlocked later). But each can only be used once. So, again, I don't use her. Sorry!

GXXE01-2.jpg

This place is full of trainers, which is great for clearing the Heart Gauge on your Shadow Pokémon.

GXXE01-3.png
    GXXE01-4.png

Or leveling Eevee.

I am now massively overpowered for this section. Seriously. Espeon can one-shot most of the rest of the Pokémon here with Bite (this is pre-Gen IV, so Bite, being a Dark move, is still considered Special, not physical). And, since Bite is pretty much the only Dark Move Eevee can learn in this game, it will remain a move I use until Endgame.

GXXE01-5.png

They're called "Unhealthy Sandals", guy. You bought them. Don't complain to me.

GXXE01-6.png

Yes, what whale-sized, approximately whale-shaped object has been seen flying through the skies around here? Anyone?

Also, I'm up to three Pokémon to give nicknames to now: Poochyena, Ledyba, and Teddiursa.

So jump in, because I'll have to Purify them soon!

Oh, yes, and we're almost to the first boss fight! Stay tuned and keep responding!
    Last edited by Skyblade; 08-13-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I can't take (SPOILER)Loverina seriously whenever I see her.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

Also, I'm up to three Pokémon to give nicknames to now: Poochyena, Ledyba, and Teddiursa.

Oh, yes, and we're almost to the first boss fight! Stay tuned and keep responding!
    Ooo, boss fights. Interesting. There's no gyms is there. I wonder what these boss fights are like. I hope it's actually some challenge.

Do you have like a list of every pokemon you can obtain? None of those pokemon you have I really like. Especially Ledyba.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post

Ooo, boss fights. Interesting. There's no gyms is there. I wonder what these boss fights are like. I hope it's actually some challenge.

Do you have like a list of every pokemon you can obtain? None of those pokemon you have I really like. Especially Ledyba.
    Pokémon XD - Pokémon

Articles
    Blog Entries

I see a Growlithe on that list.

I'll have that.

Blog Entries

What Formy said is the reason I'm not a fan of XD. You don't really get any cool Pokemon. :/ Still, this playthrough is pretty cool.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Quote Originally Posted by Polnareff View Post
    What Formy said is the reason I'm not a fan of XD. You don't really get any cool Pokemon. :/ Still, this playthrough is pretty cool.
    Untrue. You get a ton of awesome Pokemon. The problem is a lot of them come late. The second half of that list is way more awesome than the first.

Also, it is worth noting that those are NOT all the Pokemon in the game, only the Shadow Pokemon and Elekid. They're leaving out quite a few, including Cyndaquil, Totodile, Chikorita, Zubat, Trapinch, Aron, Sandshrew, Gligar, Whooper, Phanphy, Hoppip, Surskit, Meditite, Shuckle, and Larvitar.

Anyway, I apologize for the delays in updates, but I am experiencing some technical difficulties. I was hoping to record the bosses, but lack of sound and a few other issues is making it look too problematic, so I may have to give up on that idea. Which is a shame.

Blog Entries

I played through the game myself two times, and even still own a copy of it, so I know what Pokes are in it. Problem is, for my taste, none of the interesting ones are really in except for Larvitar, the Hitmons, Dragonite, Rhydon, the legendary birds, and maybe 3 others. Then you get dreck like Ledyba and Altaria. The game is a good game regardless, but has a very disappointing lineup.

I hope to god that one day Nintendo makes an actual full-fledged Pokemon RPG for the Wii U or something. Similar to X and Y now, but on a grander scale.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Also, it is worth noting that those are NOT all the Pokemon in the game, only the Shadow Pokemon and Elekid. They're leaving out quite a few, including Cyndaquil, Totodile, Chikorita, Zubat, Trapinch, Aron, Sandshrew, Gligar, Whooper, Phanphy, Hoppip, Surskit, Meditite, Shuckle, and Larvitar.
    Making the above list was a terribly bad idea. Apparently any time I see an unordered list of Pokémon names, I read it as the Pokérap. Man, that thing gets stuck in your head.

GXXE01-1.jpg

I find a guy lost in a dead-end part of town, and do what any upstanding hero would: Beat him up and take his money.

GXXE01-2.png

Remember when I told you that Call affected Shadow Pokémon? Here's how. As Pokémon get purified, they start to enter what's called Reverse Mode. Essentially, their actual nature is in conflict with their closed-off, killing machine status. It acts a bit like a cross between Confusion and Poison. They'll take damage every turn until you snap them out of it, and they will only be able to use Shadow attacks reliably, others will have a chance of failure.

The closer they get to being Purified, the more likely they are to enter Reverse Mode.

GXXE01-3.png

But, if you Call them, they snap out of it, and their Purity gauge drops quite a bit.

I abuse this in a few trainer battles by just letting Espeon Sand Attack enemies until their accuracy is gone, and then waiting for my Pokémon to enter reverse mode. Just because I want to get these guys Purified quickly.

GXXE01-4.jpg

Well, since you're so polite about it, why not?

GXXE01-5.png

And this one is ready to be Purified. Woo hoo!

GXXE01-6.jpg

More items around town.

GXXE01-1.jpg

Did you know you can go behind the Deku Tree?

GXXE01-2.jpg

More items!

GXXE01-3.jpg

Just don't blame me if you get hurt, granny.

GXXE01-4.jpg

Woot, free TM!

GXXE01-5.jpg

The Berry guy! This guy is the only source of Berries in the game, and he'll give you a new one every day!

I wonder if that works in an emulator. Oh well.

So I finally enter the Deku Tree to talk to Eagun.

GXXE01-6.png

What? Oh, right. Purify. That's why I'm collecting an army of mindless killing machines. Yep. Noble hero, that's me.

The kindly old lady then sends me down to the bottom of the town, where Eagun is waiting for me to help me Purify my Shadow Pokémon.

GXXE01-1.png

Along with a Gauntlet of four trainers.

You can actually fight these guys multiple times, if you want, as well as head back to heal at the Pokémon Center at any time.

GXXE01-2.jpg

More items. Are these things, like, invisible to everyone else? Does no one want free stuff? I don't even USE items, but I'll still pick them up.

Maybe I'm the only one strong enough to carry fifty Potions in my pockets.

GXXE01-3.png

This gentleman gives me the Cologne Case. This holds scents, which are items that can be used on Shadow Pokémon while they're in Reverse Mode to Purify them much faster (scents are also the ONLY items you can use on a Pokémon in Reverse Mode, if memory serves).

Honestly, I never use them. Still, free stuff.

Boss battle approaching!

GXXE01-4.jpg

Yes, it is. So kindly get out of my way and...

Yeah, I knew that wasn't going to work.

GXXE01-5.jpg

I wouldn't say "Skill" in this case so much as "Power Overwhelming".

His Pikachu actually isn't a complete pushover. It's got a very powerful Thunderbolt that can one-shot Ledian, and nearly one-shot both of your other Shadow Pokémon (never tested it against Vaporeon, but it shouldn't one shot it unless you've skipped every battle, or not used your starter for them).

The problem is that it's one Pokémon in a Double Battle, and it doesn't have nearly the survivability for that. If it gets a Nature that has weakened Special Defense, Espeon can one shot it with Bite (sadly, that battle, the one I wanted to show you, got wiped out in my adventures to find out how to record this).

GXXE01-6.jpg

The mighty Relic Stone. Where all your Pokémon were Purified back in Pokémon Colloseum. With even more Shadow Pokémon to Purify, I'm sure we'll be coming back here a lot.

GXXE01-7.jpg

Yay, Poochyena is Purified!

GXXE01-8.jpg

What? But I have two more! Stop it, let me go!

GXXE01-9.png

And since he has critical information for me, you're going to call him on his cell phone and just ask him to tell me what he saw, right?

GXXE01-10.jpg

GXXE01-11.jpg

Mt. Battle. Home to what is, quite possibly, the single best training area in the entire series. Certainly so for Generation III. This place can get your Pokémon to level 100 in about half the time it takes to do so farming the Elite Four. It's also where you get a special Move Tutor, and access to the incredibly awesome Cyndaquil, Chikorita, and Totodile (each of which knows unique moves).

Oh, hey, look who it is.

GXXE01-12.png

Probably, but that's the plot of Pokémon Black and White, so let's not get into that right now, ok?

Also, if you guys liked the video at all, I'll go ahead and purchase FRAPs so that I can record the other, actually challenging boss fights as we go forward, now that I've actually figured out how.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 08-13-2013 at 09:13 PM.