Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's Play Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness

Default Let's Play Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness

Formalhaut took one of the best games in the series for his Let's Play, so I'll go ahead and take the other. This is the amazing adventure for the Gamecube known as Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness. For those of you who are unaware, it is a sequel to the earlier Gamecube game, Pokémon Colloseum (making it one of the very few direct sequels in the franchise). However, you don't really need to play Colloseum first, the game will explain pretty much everything.

Unfortunately, emulating from the Gamecube is a royal pain in the butt, and screenshots only work half the time, seemingly at random. But, I have savestates. It just means progress will probably be slow, since I'll have to do some sections several times over.

So, we start off our new adventure by naming our character.
    Axel.jpg
    Got it memorized?

And with our avatar decided, we get our entry into the world.

Hello, my name is Oak, I'm a-
    Libra.jpg

Ya! Ok, so instead of a Pokémon Professor, we get the SS Lensflare. Brought to you by J.J.Abrams.

Copters.jpg

Which is quickly attacked by an army of Shinra helicopters.

XD-001.jpg

Followed by one of the most awesome Pokémon in existence.

Lonely Crew.jpg

You know, I should be impressed that a single Pokémon could lift an entire cruise liner. But it's a little overwhelmed by the fact that said cruise liner only had two people on the entire boat. Who, without lifeboats or any form of rescue, probably won't live long in those Sharpedo-infested waters.

But, with that video out of the way, it's time to actually get into the action.

Starter.jpg

Beginning with the BEST STARTER EVER! Granted, my rival apparently gets a Metagross, which I'd honestly prefer, but still.

Good thing Metagross can't learn Ice Punch until the next generation, or I'd be frelled. As it is, two Earthquakes wins my first battle! Woohoo!

And, since six screenshots is the limit per post, apparently, I'll leave you all with this stunning intro and try to get back to this tomorrow, when you all have a chance to absorb all that awesome.

I'll be taking nickname recommendations as well (normally I just use Pokémon names made lowercase, so it'll be a nice change to have actual nicknames). Feel free to sign up!
    Last edited by Skyblade; 08-07-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

So wait, the introduction is this Shadow Lugia pretty much lifting an entire cruise liner out of the sky?

Wha?!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

WAIT

WAIT

Does this mean there's an ACTUAL Pokemon game for something other than a handheld?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    So wait, the introduction is this Shadow Lugia pretty much lifting an entire cruise liner out of the sky?

Wha?!
    It's an important plot event, it'll get expanded upon quite a bit as we progress on through the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    WAIT

WAIT

Does this mean there's an ACTUAL Pokemon game for something other than a handheld?
    Yep. Actually, there are TWO.

General information on the Gamecube Pokémon games:Actually, I had heard about Pokémon Colosseum when it first came out, and I avoided it because I figured it was going to be the sort of thing we got with Stadium and later Battle Revolution. Fighting, more storage boxes, trading options, but no plot. After Stadium, can you blame me? So when I saw Gale of Darkness in a Gamestop, and noticed a subtitle that indicated an actual game, I took a look at it and bought it. With no regrets whatsoever, as it is one of the best games in the series (XD and Platinum are my two favorite Pokémon games), and one of the gems of the Gamecube.

This mixup meant that I played XD before Colosseum, so when I say that you can play XD first with no real detriment, I mean it. The game gives you pretty much everything you need to know about the previous game's plot through its own story.

XD is also a superior game to it's predecessor. While heavily criticized upon release due to not being original enough, reusing areas and themes from its predecessor whole heartedly, XD has received a ton of polish that refined its systems, gave it some of the best mechanics in the series, and generally made it a blast to play.

Due to the relatively unknown status of this work, I'm going to try to include almost a walkthrough style of events, so that people can get a feel for the game, since most Pokémon fans aren't immediately familiar with everything I'm talking about. This will lead to screenshots of exposition dumps, new characters, and general wandering around town. This in turn means that I might do multiple updates in a row, so that I can keep things moving and get to the good bits quicker.

So, without further ado, let's get back to the game!

Story 001.jpg

As we fade out from that first awesome battle, we enter the world for the first time, to find that we were just taking part in a virtual reality simulation battle against Sim Trainer Losten. We also learn that our actual starter Pokémon is an Eevee. Well, shucks darn. Oh well, Eevee evolves into my most favorite Pokémon of all, Espeon, so that's hardly bad news for me.

So we immediately step off the plot railroad, ignore my mom, and go exploring! Not a whole lot to see, only this one office building thus far. But there are tons of people to talk to and collect information from. You know, because I'm the son of one of the chief researchers, and that gives me free rein to pester everyone.

Apparently this facility is built to study the "Shadow Pokémon" phenomenon, and find out ways to reverse it. Although supposedly there aren't any Shadow Pokémon right now, so it's just a huge waste of taxpayer money. Yay.

Hide and Seek.jpg

Ah, the nostalgia. While I should tease the guy for hiding for two hours without realizing he's been abandoned (which the game will do for me when we visit him a couple of minutes later for the plot), this whole building's atmosphere really reminds me of the days I'd visit my dad's work as a kid. I'd play hide and seek with my sister, find trouble to get into, and generally be a little kid. They captured that sort of office atmosphere completely, in my opinion.

Chatter 001.jpg

Lady, you might want to be careful who you admit that to. I'm not sure if there are laws about sleeping with your Pokémon, but I still don't think it's exactly socially acceptable.

Chest.jpg

Outside the building, we find out what those Pokéball looking chests actually look like in 3D. Two Antidotes in here.

Potions.jpg

And back to my room for 3 potions from another such chest.

News 001.jpg

Finally we end in the break room where there's a news report on the ship that went missing. Apparently it was a cargo ship carrying a ton of Pokémon, which are now missing.

No one seems to care about the two guys who were on it, though. Only the Pokémon that are missing. Ah, it sucks to be an unimportant NPC.

But, that pretty much exhausts our exploration options for the time being, so I suppose I should actually go visit my mom and figure out what I'm supposed to be doing here.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ohhh this looks like so much fun. I would love to play it

Articles
    Blog Entries

This actually looks pretty good!

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I think I remember seeing commercials for this game. I am excited to follow your story!

Also Umbreon > Espeon

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    Ohhh this looks like so much fun. I would love to play it
    Ebay has tons of copies available, ranging from 20 to 45 dollars. And I highly recommend this game. It's one of the top two in the series (as I said, XD and Platinum), and one of my favorite Gamecube games. Pick up a copy, you probably won't regret it.

Emulation technical details and difficulties:I am playing it on the Dolphin emulator this time, so that I can take screenshots. But emulation also has a huge drawback. A lot of Gamecube ROMs suffer from glitches (I've heard that it's a side effect of the GC's nonstandard optical media, but I'm not sure), and in the case of Pokémon XD, this manifests itself as a problem with the audio. Ninety percent of the time, you'll get no music. Sound effects work well, but music simply only cuts in on rare occasions, and will be turned off by various events and triggers as you go. And the videos play with no sound at all the majority of the time.

There's also some minor visual glitching, usually around lighting effects like Lightning or other flashy abilities. But it's relatively minor. Having no music sucks.

This game also has a pretty sweet soundtrack. I'll link to YouTube vids of some of my favorites when I get to them.

While I'm recommending it, though, be aware that the game does take some shifts from the standard Pokémon formula. While the gameplay and story are both probably the best in the entire series, there are two standard Pokémon mainstays that have been all but removed from this game. Which we'll get to a little later.

This actually looks pretty good!
    The game, or my Let's Play? Don't be afraid to give feedback or offer advice, I know I'm not very good at this, but I'm trying to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Cim View Post
    I think I remember seeing commercials for this game. I am excited to follow your story!

Also Umbreon > Espeon
    Lies! Squishy LIE-

Umbreon is awesome, and is my second favorite. But Espeon is slightly more awesome, and far more effective. Poor Umbreon has been butchered by mechanics changes throughout the series. While Espeon has now been relegated to the Uber league.

Anyway, on with the plot!

Professor.jpg

Ah, so THIS is the resident Pokémon Professor. I knew there had to be one somewhere.

My mom and the Professor tell me that their research projects are reaching a critical level, and because of that, they need me to run errands for them. Step one: Go find my kid sister, who's even younger and less competent than I am.

PDA.jpg

And whatever it is, it's shiny.

Oh, it's just a PDA that the Professor left for me. Better than the Pokégear, I suppose.

I go ahead and pick it up, then continue my search for my sister. I decide to ask the man from earlier who was playing hide and seek. He finally seems to realize that my sister got distracted and gave up, and tells me he think's she's at Dr. Kaminko's Manor.

Map.jpg

Seriously, dude? You're playing Hide and Seek with her and you expect her to be in another building?!

You deserve to hide under that table until you cramp up and can't move.

Bike.jpg

So I hop on my trusty scooter and speed away!

Which brings me to the first major change to this game from the main series. This game takes place in the Orre Region of the Pokémon world. It is a recently settled, relatively barren land. As such, there are almost no wild Pokémon. So there's nothing at all keeping kids from going wherever they want.

Short of the deserts. And the cliffs. And mountains. And active volcanos. And...

Yeah, it's not really a very hospitable place, now that I'm thinking about it. On the plus side, it means it's fairly easy to traverse via scooter.

Of course, that also means almost no wild Pokémon to catch. Now, some of you might be wondering just how the heck that is supposed to work. I mean, what good is a Pokémon game if you can't catch Pokémon? The entire mantra of the series is "Gotta Catch 'Em All", after all.

Don't worry. It's still here. And never has it been more applicable. But we'll get to that after I get my sister out of this creepy house.

Burglar.jpg

Serously, dude? You want to start something? You're like half my height, and your Pokémon is half the level of mine. Don't make me hurt you.

Chobin.jpg

And, wow. I beat up his Pokémon, he drops his glasses, and while he's stumbling around, I nab 150 Pokédollars that was probably his lunch money. I feel like a horrible person now.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Aha, no, I like both the game and your Let's Play.

But I don't own a GameCube

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ahaha, great Let's Play. Poor Chobin .

I actually do own a Gamecube (well my boyfriend does) but I always forget I do xD.

Aha, no, I like both the game and your Let's Play.

But I don't own a GameCube
    Excellent news! The Wii let's you play GameCube games without actually needing a GameCube!

The GameCube is an awesome system, you don't really have an excuse for not having one.

Observation.jpg

Yeah, Chobin, you really don't know that many children, do you?

Our sister then rushes out, says "hi", and rushes back in. So at least she's not locked in a dungeon somewhere. As we enter the mansion, Chobin treats me to an introduction to Dr. Kaminko's inventions. First the Unhealthy Sandals, which cause chronic foot pain as you wear them due to specially designed and placed nubs, and then this little beauty:

Inventions.jpg

So, yeah, at least they're...creative?

Machine Part.jpg

And by "tell him he should come get it", you mean "get him to send me on a fetch quest at a later point", don't you? I think I'll just stay quiet about this. Bad enough I'll have to fetch the package without serving as your e-mail client too.

Party.jpg

Sweet, I get a party? Let's see, younger, weaker female, so my sister is probably the healer. I guess I'll be the tank until we get our next party member!

Chatter 002.jpg

And this is a surprise because..?

Ooh, e-mail from the professor, telling me to come back home, because they need me again.

Bike Party.jpg

Although I think I may need a bigger scooter if my party gets bigger.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 08-07-2013 at 02:29 AM.

Graah. Forgive the sequential posts, but the image limit is hindering editing for updates! And I do want to get through to the core of the game, especially since I can only keep updates moving this quickly on my days off.

Also, I've been working on streamlining my screenshot capturing/transfer system. I'm getting pretty good at it, but I think I need to see if I can just upload the PNGs without converting to JPEGs first, now that I've found out how to keep the size small by default. Avoiding conversion would save a ton of time, and give higher quality, if the site can support them.

GXXE01-1.jpg

Our first optional battle. I actually usually avoid this guy. While wiping out his level 5 Sentret with your level 10 Eevee is easy, and will level your Eevee to level 11, it will also give you an Attack EV. And EV training is hard enough in this game, especially on your starter, without adding in useless EVs unnecessarily.

But, since this is a walkthrough Let's Play, let's whoop up on him.

Yeah, that didn't take long. Bite made him flinch, and then tackle won. Then just a stop inside to heal (while there are Pokécenters in this game, there are also the healing machines from Pokécenters scattered around the land), since my PP is depleted, even if my health isn't.

Then more exploring!

GXXE01-2.jpg

My sister has hidden herself in my bed, and is plotting to steal CHOBIN's glasses. I guess that makes me the sane one of us.

GXXE01-3.jpg

And the news is now reporting wide-scale Pokémon attacks, as well as if the attacks are linked to either the disappearance of the S.S. Libra, or the Shadow Pokémon incident from 5 years ago (which most of us know as Pokémon Colloseum).

GXXE01-4.jpg

Man, and I thought cramping up would be bad. But, no. JOVI, my little sister, finds the guy asleep down there, and puts makeup on him. She's a cruel little one.

Ah, well. Back to the plot. The Professor wanted to see me. He's not at his desk, though. The guy up there says he went downstairs, so...

GXXE01-5.jpg

But you built it. And you're giving it to me. You're giving it to me. You don't know me nearly as well as you think you do, Professor.

Hmm, what's that? Oh, you're worried that there might be more Shadow Pokémon out there. Yeah, I suppose this is as good a time as any to mention those. They are one of the new additions from the GameCube games, Pokémon that have had their hearts artificially sealed and are now mindless killing machines being completely controlled by their masters.

Of course, none have been seen since the incident five years ago, but out of worry that there may be more, the Professor has recreated the portable Snag Machine, an item capable of stealing Pokémon from other trainers. And it works. Not only can it Snag Pokémon, but it can rewrite their entire capture history, listing you as the Original Trainer.

And he's stupid enough to give this unbelievably powerful, probably highly illegal, machine to me.

GXXE01-6.jpg

I have seen the top of the mountain, and you will worship me as though I were a god!

Edit: Mwa ha ha, it worked. PNGs, and I can edit them in now. Yay.

GXXE01-1.png

Oh, yes, that's the important bit. Not only have you given me an unbelievably powerful tool for my quest for world domination, but you've made me look snazzy too. I like this guy.

GXXE01-2.png

Ooh, neato, a new app for my PDA, that is a little card that inserts into the machine. We'll get several of them as we go. This one is designed to track data on Shadow Pokemon I've seen. It's actually really handy. It tells you which ones you've seen, who had them, and where they were.

GXXE01-3.png

So you want me to go steal someone's Pokémon? WAAAY ahead of you, Professor.

Aw, how sweet, AIDAN gives me Pokéballs, which had to be specially imported (since y'know, no wild Pokémon in Orre), just to make sure I can use the device.

And then some guys bust in and kidnap the Professor. Uh-oh. I do the only sane thing one can in this situation: I ask an ADULT for help.

GXXE01-4.png

Sweet, an adult is actually going to do something in this series!

GXXE01-5.png

Oh my gosh, the Professor has been kidnapped by Phoenix Ranger Featherman R cosplayers. Epic.

GXXE01-6.png

And now we see why the adults never do anything. That didn't last long, did it?
    Last edited by Skyblade; 08-07-2013 at 04:26 AM.

I would've bought this game but $60 for a game is crazy.

It's one of those rare few games that I never seen lowered in price.

Articles
    Blog Entries

So wait, you can steal other people's Pokemon?!

Isn't that how Team Rocket started or something?

So wait, you can steal other people's Pokemon?!

Isn't that how Team Rocket started or something?
    Yes, but this is much, much more savvy than what Team Rocket did. They just nabbed Pokémon. This thing grabs them and rewrites the data that ties them to their Pokéballs.

GXXE01-1.png

I activate my Sniper mode as I enter my match with Spy Naps, my first encounter with this game's foes.

And we immediately learn why they all agree to don those costumes. Because it provides them with the most awesome battle music ever.

Seriously, these guys are a joy to fight just because of that music. It is such a shame I have to put it on in my browser to snag a listen while playing.

GXXE01-2.png

That is a Shadow Pokémon. My Sniper mode thingy there let's me see it. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and a regular Pokémon.

GXXE01-3.png

I just explained that, Professor. Keep up, man.

GXXE01-4.png

As usual, when catching your first Pokémon, you don't have to weaken it.

GXXE01-5.png

It's kind of hard to see in the screenshot, but easy in the game. When you throw a Snag Ball, the energy that zaps the Pokémon actually forms grabbing fingers, snatching the Pokémon away from its home.

GXXE01-6.png

Wait, they're running away to report I have a Snag Machine? But I just won the Pokémon battle. That means you're supposed to surrender and do what I say! Get back here!

EDIT:

GXXE01-1.png

So first I ask an adult for help, and now we're contacting the proper authorities to deal with the kidnappers. Are we sure this is a Pokémon game?

GXXE01-3.png

Everyone else is all mopey, but Mom's like "Get real, people. We don't need the Professor to finish our project. We can do it ourselves." Yeah, your mom's kind of an awesome character.

GXXE01-4.png

Ok, so time for some more technical, less fun stuff. This is what a Shadow Pokémon is like when you've captured it. Notice the Heart Gauge and "Door to its heart" bits? Each Shadow Pokémon has those, and they replace the Pokémon's EXP gauge. That's right, Shadow Pokémon can't earn EXP. Why would anyone want them then? Well, because they are quite powerful, but we'll address that in the next picture.

As you fight alongside a Shadow Pokémon, you teach them to trust again, and open up their hearts. The gauge will deplete, and eventually you'll be able to purify them, transforming them back into their regular selves. And, when you do so, all the EXP they would have gotten from their fights is applied to them in one lump sum.

GXXE01-5.png

And this is why Shadow Pokémon are so powerful. The moves list. Each Shadow Pokémon knows Shadow moves. These moves are essentially an extra type. Shadow moves are 2x Super Effective against all non-Shadow Pokémon, and Not Very Effective against other Shadow Pokémon. In Pokémon Colloseum, there was only one Shadow move, Shadow Rush, but now there are a ton, of differing strength and some with status effects. But they all work pretty much the same.

This has a huge impact on gameplay. Shadow Pokémon are actually pretty dang beastly, and, worst of all, you want to Snag as many of them as possible. So you'll be taking damage with your regular Pokémon while fighting them. You can use your own Shadow Pokémon as tanks, but they don't earn EXP, so they'll be underpowered as you go further along. It's a really cool addition to the systems. Do you keep your Shadow Pokémon and dominate with them against other trainers? Or do you purify them to let them grow?

Oh, one more thing. This game also has an extra bonus to hardcore Pokémaniacs. Most Shadow Pokémon that you can obtain, as you begin to purify them, will know at least one move that they otherwise can't acquire. Thus, if you purify them, you can trade them to the other Pokémon games to get access to some nifty combos of abilities not normally possible.

GXXE01-6.png

I knew it! I knew I was going to have to pick that thing up. Lousy fetch quests.

GXXE01-7.jpg

My new objective. Scooter away!

So, yeah, if you haven't figured it out yet, the Aura Reader keeps me from Snagging non-Shadow Pokémon, and snags are the main way of getting new Pokémon. Thus, since there are limited Shadow Pokémon, you have a fairly limited team to choose from (only about 50 Pokémon total, by the end of the game), so you have to balance who to use and choose carefully. Oh, and no duplicates or breeding.

Catching and purifying all the Shadow Pokémon, while foiling the villain's plot, is pretty much this game's story. And it is AWESOME.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I thrive on feedback! Keep it coming! I'm having a blast with this, and I hope you all are too. I mean, that's kind of the point, I can play it for myself any time I want.

Final note: You can't nickname a Pokémon until you purify it. So right now, there's a Teddiursa on the books (who I keep around in my party because he'll pick up items from battles even if I don't use him once I get some others). Suggestions?
    Last edited by Skyblade; 08-07-2013 at 05:02 AM.