Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Default Oh ye of little fayth

When Sin is off being dead as a door nail, what the trout is going on in Spira?

Given the fact that Final Fantasy X gives us three summoners, you would think that people would be prepared for Sin. Get all your summoners, make them get all the Aeons, and first one to Zanarkand gets Sin this time. Then, in ten-ish years when Sin rocks up again, you can take him out before he murders entire villages worth of people. I mean seriously, come on.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Maybe during the Calm, the Fayth are unable to become Aeons? It does seem silly if they can, and they just wait. The people of Spira probably just want to chill and enjoy the Calm, and not have to worry about the impending doom.

Or just get a army or summoners and sent them to Zanakand and just let them attack hell out of the thing till it dies. Spend the ten years training them up and make sure they have most of the summons and have White Mages spare for healing.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Or just do it like they did in FFX.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

If there had been no/next to no downtime, then Kilika and Mushroom Rock Road wouldn't have happened. That's a lot of people dead over tradition.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    That's a lot of people dead over tradition.
    Yeah, I think that was the point the game was trying to make.
    I like Kung-Fu.

It's not ten years though. Ten years passed since Braska took down Sin, yes, but we never get a time for how long it takes Sin to come back.

FFX-2, however, would suggest that it's actually less than two years. If it was more than that, the majority of Spira wouldn't be likely to accept the whole "Sin never comes back" thing, since the time limit hadn't gone by yet.

So you probably have between a year, to a year and a half. And the journey is across most of Spira, it isn't safe, and it isn't fast. People might try to complete it, but some will die, plenty won't want to be summoners in the first place, and others just won't finish in time.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Blog Entries

Pretty much thought of the same thing while I was playing. Or why couldn't these summoners just band together and whup the behinds of the big bad monsters on the road, train in the process, and have a summoner army with 99 999 damage each kill Sin. Methinks too much time spent on blitzball. Haha.

"I'm here for you, James. See? I'm real."

I'm not your Mary.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    It's not ten years though. Ten years passed since Braska took down Sin, yes, but we never get a time for how long it takes Sin to come back.

FFX-2, however, would suggest that it's actually less than two years. If it was more than that, the majority of Spira wouldn't be likely to accept the whole "Sin never comes back" thing, since the time limit hadn't gone by yet.

So you probably have between a year, to a year and a half. And the journey is across most of Spira, it isn't safe, and it isn't fast. People might try to complete it, but some will die, plenty won't want to be summoners in the first place, and others just won't finish in time.
    So we chalk it up to plot convenience that ~8 years of Sin terrorising Spira passes before we get three potential high summoners, not including Seymour. Though I guess there was that failed pilgrimage of Lulu's and whatnot, but god, seems to be a shortage of competent people out there. :/

So we chalk it up to plot convenience that ~8 years of Sin terrorising Spira passes before we get three potential high summoners, not including Seymour. Though I guess there was that failed pilgrimage of Lulu's and whatnot, but god, seems to be a shortage of competent people out there. :/
    Do you really think Dona and Isaaru would have made it the entire way?

I mean, heck, there have only been 4 High Summoners in a thousand years. Think of how many have tried and failed. Heck, we see evidence of this in the gravemarkers and piles of weapons on Gagazet. All from summoners and guardians who died.

Dona would have frozen to death before she made it across the mountain. And Isaaru would have slipped and fallen to his death.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Do you really think Dona and Isaaru would have made it the entire way?

I mean, heck, there have only been 4 High Summoners in a thousand years. Think of how many have tried and failed. Heck, we see evidence of this in the gravemarkers and piles of weapons on Gagazet. All from summoners and guardians who died.

Dona would have frozen to death before she made it across the mountain. And Isaaru would have slipped and fallen to his death.
    But Dona does make it to the end. If you don't tell her to quit her pilgrimage on the airship and then return to the Zanarkand Trials to get the secret treasure for Anima there, Dona is in front of the trials and you tell her to leave everything to you.

But it's true that most summoners probably fail their journey. And with a ratio of only 6 successful pilgrimages in 1000 years, no wonder there are so few people who actually attempt to get the Final Summoning. The pilgrimage is harder than the game makes it seem (plus most summoners don't have 6 guardians).

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

All that crap about having fewer guardians really makes it tough to succeed, but the points raised are valid. There is a distinct lack of qualified candidates. Makes you wonder why Seymour was allowed to give it up.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Remember that Lulu has been a guardian three times now, with her first two both ending at the calm lands. Summoners are not that uncommon. Also the pilgrimage is not the only things summoners do. they are a key part of Yevon, and perform the sending.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

True, but can you imagine how many less summoners you would need if you could take Sin out early? As a side note, what determines whether a person needs a sending? Summoners are done away with entirely come Final Fantasy X-2, so all those dead people must not be too heartbroken about it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

As far as I can tell, a soul needs a sending if they can't accept their death. The sending soothes them and teaches them to do just that.

Maybe with the passing of the summoners' time, the duty of sending the dead fell to someone else.