Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did you like Steiner?

Quote Originally Posted by Pantz View Post
    Well I think he's funny! Meanies!
    It's not that he's not funny, but rather that I don't think he should be funny. His character is presented to us as a complete clown, and it makes it hard to take his story seriously.

And I still don't like the way he looks...
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I reserve the right to call you meanings for any criticisms you have.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    I like Steiner's personality, development, and story.

I hate his visual design.
    This. HIS ARMOR GOES DOWN TO HIS CALVES AND HE HAS HIS ANKLES EXPOSED AND HE WEARS GUYLINER WAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Quint Eastwood View Post
    Jiro's point always gets on my tits a little, too. The idea that we have this exceptionally powerful and skilled knight - one of the only people alive who can fight the legendary Beatrix to a stalemate - and he's all "hurdy gurdy gurdy".
    Yeah, the idea to portray him as a Swede was a bizarre one, agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

I love Steiner! One of my favourite characters in the game and possibly the series.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

No. I thought he was a fool.

You see, rather than be put off by the bumbling (I was too young to know better), or the fact that the gameplay doesn't necessarily match the story (I was too young to know better), I didn't like it that he couldn't see the blatantly obvious: that Queen Brahne was becoming murderous and dishonorable.

That goes against what a Knight would think...or at least what I would think, if I were a Knight.

And of course, I know why they couldn't have done him that way: they already did that in Final Fantasy IV. It would have made the game too "heavy" in comparison to its other elements, and Steiner too central a character.

I hated how thick-headed he was for the first chunk of the plot. Seriously, it was basically "Steiner, my mom's involved in something bad. I have to find out what it is so I can get her to stop." "Nonsense, back to the castle." And then he still kept trying to get her back to Alexandria even after Zorn and Thorn tried to kill her. Gah.

That said, I do like how he grows as a character. He and Vivi are my favorite characters in the game specifically for that reason.
    My detailed series timeline (Covers Final Fantasy I-VIII) (IX and onward will be added later)

Less detailed timeline:

(SPOILER)X -> X-2 -> Spira becomes Terra ->
    (MANY YEARS LATER) ->
    II -> IV -> TAY -> Failed Terra/Gaia Fusion -> Garland/Chaos -> Xande -> Enuo -> III -> V -> I -> Legend of the Crystals ->
    (MANY YEARS LATER) ->
    IX -> XI/XII ->
    (MANY YEARS LATER) ->
    Jenova/Lunar Cry -> War of the Magi begins -> VIII -> Ultimecia defeated/War of the Magi ends -> Crisis Core -> Before Crisis -> Last Order -> VI (World of Balance) -> VII -> Tactics -> VI (World of Ruin) -> On the Way to a Smile -> Advent Children -> Dirge of Cerberus

Alternate continuities: Kingdom Hearts, Dissidia, and Mystic Quest

I didn't really care much for his character. One of the only things Steiner-related I really enjoyed was his relationship with Beatrix, who was an amazing character, and it was nice to see the two of them growing closer. Though, Steiner did get a lot better for me after Brahne died.
    Last edited by SirPrizes; 10-13-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    http://home.eyesonff.com/user/signature/sigpic39432_1.gif

Sure, I like him. He's not my favorite, but he's up there as one of the best characters in this game. He was a wee bit too idiotic at times, but that's alright.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> He is a friggin tank, yeah I love Steiner..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

When I first played the game I hated his character. Now as an adult I love his character. I mean I've always liked him in my party but in general it went from hate to love.

Steiner is clearly the best written character in the history of existence. Those who do not love him evidently lack his manly intelligence.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I really disliked him as he was at the beginning of the game, but I guess I can appreciate the way he developed throughout the game.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Vivisteiner View Post
    Steiner is clearly the best written character in the history of existence. Those who do not love him evidently lack his manly intelligence.
    100% agreed with this post.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quint Eastwood View Post
    Jiro's point always gets on my tits a little, too. The idea that we have this exceptionally powerful and skilled knight - one of the only people alive who can fight the legendary Beatrix to a stalemate - and he's all "hurdy gurdy gurdy".

I do love Steiner, though. He's an excellent character.
    I realise that the game wanted comic relief and, early on, he's really the only choice - all the other characters have specific functions. But it really just doesn't work. At the very same time he's bumbling about shouting "the princess! the princess!" he's meant to be starting this internal debate about whether or not he has a choice on how to live even though he is a knight. It's a really deep and mature concept coming from a complete (apparent) imbecile.
    There was honestly no reason to have comic relief come from a main character at all, there are tons of supporting characters that provide quite a lot of comic relief. More than I can conveniently count off the top of my head.
    Actually, there is a huge reason Steiner should be the comic relief character.

FFIX is structured very similarly to a Shakespearean comedy which are known for archetypical characters designed to move the story forward, to serve as a foil for the main character and to extract a moral or thematic lesson. The really great thing about the storytelling in FFIX is that these character archetypes aren't forced to stay there for the purposes of plot - they get to grow beyond their role, as it were, in a natural pattern to become something better. So while Steiner starts out as the person who is the object of teasing and fun he becomes a trusted friend.

Without first starting out as a bumbler, Steiner would never gain the experience to grow into a confident, exemplary knight. Furthermore, the structure of FFIX would kind of fall apart. Steiner would be competent in his protection of Garnet (the ingenue,) who would never make her escape and meet Zidane (the flawed hero) and neither character would have the opportunity to shrug off their own archetypes.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I can't think of specific examples but, from memory, Steiner still plays the part of the fool quite late into the game, even after he's demonstrated his capabilities and undergone soul searching and whatnot. I agree entirely that the journey he takes is nice but it's not a complete journey and that creates a pretty unpleasant contrast in my opinion.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.