Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Did you like Steiner?

My first playthrough, he was one of my least favorite characters. I thought he was annoying and 9 year old me was like "WHY CAN'T U LET THE PRINCESS GO ADVENTURE GAH"

Now he's one of my favorite characters. I like how he has a good amount of development. He's loyal to a fault, but when he realizes the one he is loyal to isn't such a great person, he can accept this and change his ways. He's brave and very caring. From his point of view, he's trying to do good and protect the princess.

Did you like Steiner?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Steiner is a contender for my favorite character from this game. It's great to see his development and how much depth he really has by the end of the game since he just seems like a sort of throw away, comic relief type character at the beginning. I also think that he is actually pretty funny.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Yes. He plays a very obvious role in protecting the princess, but I feel like he had good motivation and his eventual change of heart is awesome.

The bumbling thing, though, ugh. They could've done without that. I mean, he already had the entire Pluto Knights, they didn't need to make the captain a joke too, especially given that his battle prowess stands at odds to his in-universe reputation.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Yes of course!
    Climhazard!
    "Headstrong and skimpy! I like it!"-Zidane when fighting against Tifa in Dissidia.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

He was definitely one of my most favorite characters. It was always a toss up between him and Amarant as far as who would be the powerhouse in my group!

Blog Entries

I was never really a fan of the character or his writing in particular, but I do enjoy having him in my party for boss fights.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    Steiner is a contender for my favorite character from this game. It's great to see his development and how much depth he really has by the end of the game since he just seems like a sort of throw away, comic relief type character at the beginning. I also think that he is actually pretty funny.
    I agree with all of this!

I like Steiner's personality, development, and story.

I hate his visual design.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

50/50

I dislike him for the first half; but after the You're Not Alone sequence he becomes a great character with great development. Though I prefer to have Freya in my party as the physical attacker. Zidane, Freya, Vivi, Dagger Or Zidane, Freya, Quina, Eiko.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Jiro's point always gets on my tits a little, too. The idea that we have this exceptionally powerful and skilled knight - one of the only people alive who can fight the legendary Beatrix to a stalemate - and he's all "hurdy gurdy gurdy".

I do love Steiner, though. He's an excellent character.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Quint Eastwood View Post
    Jiro's point always gets on my tits a little, too. The idea that we have this exceptionally powerful and skilled knight - one of the only people alive who can fight the legendary Beatrix to a stalemate - and he's all "hurdy gurdy gurdy".

I realise that the game wanted comic relief and, early on, he's really the only choice - all the other characters have specific functions. But it really just doesn't work. At the very same time he's bumbling about shouting "the princess! the princess!" he's meant to be starting this internal debate about whether or not he has a choice on how to live even though he is a knight. It's a really deep and mature concept coming from a complete (apparent) imbecile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quint Eastwood View Post

I realise that the game wanted comic relief and, early on, he's really the only choice - all the other characters have specific functions. But it really just doesn't work. At the very same time he's bumbling about shouting "the princess! the princess!" he's meant to be starting this internal debate about whether or not he has a choice on how to live even though he is a knight. It's a really deep and mature concept coming from a complete (apparent) imbecile.
    There was honestly no reason to have comic relief come from a main character at all, there are tons of supporting characters that provide quite a lot of comic relief. More than I can conveniently count off the top of my head.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Having a constant source helps to perk things up again whenever there are too-serious moments, but I agree entirely. Most of the supporting cast is purely there for comic relief, and all of the characters themselves can lend to the comedy without being forced into the role of the joker.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Well I think he's funny! Meanies!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

He is funny, but it's so overdone that it loses its appeal for me really quick. On the upside, his character only improves as time goes on!