Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amazon sold out of PC Collector's Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Eh, I prefer subscription MMOs. From what I've heard about the 'major' differences, subscription MMO's seem a lot better than games that constantly nag you to invest more money (breaks immersion) and have updates few, far between and generally low in content value. The immense changes experienced between 1.0 and 1.23 showed the value of a subscription model for me. Of course, I'm going mostly by hearsay but I believe from what I read that there is a good reason for this game having a monthly cost.

I can understand someone with very limited gaming time not being keen on it though.

Part of the problem too is that servers can go down. Sure it may seem unlikely but if you spend all that time and all of a sudden the game no longer exists you lost that money/time/effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Ice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Eh, I prefer subscription MMOs. From what I've heard about the 'major' differences, subscription MMO's seem a lot better than games that constantly nag you to invest more money (breaks immersion) and have updates few, far between and generally low in content value. The immense changes experienced between 1.0 and 1.23 showed the value of a subscription model for me. Of course, I'm going mostly by hearsay but I believe from what I read that there is a good reason for this game having a monthly cost.

I can understand someone with very limited gaming time not being keen on it though.

Part of the problem too is that servers can go down. Sure it may seem unlikely but if you spend all that time and all of a sudden the game no longer exists you lost that money/time/effort.
    If I enjoy a good burger, when I'm done, it's gone. The money I spent and the time I had enjoying it are gone. But that doesn't lessen my enjoyment.

I've been happier since I stopped thinking about my gaming progress as some monolith thing I need to keep. I have a crazy game of FFVII saved on a PS1 memory card somewhere with all kinds of stuff tweaked out. Will I ever get it out again? Not likely. It ultimately doesn't matter. It could be the same as my character being wiped from an MMO. But did I have fun working toward a potentially stupid goal in the game? Sure. I did at the time and that's what matters.

Like most things in life, the journey is more important than the destination.

I'm also not aware, in the history of MMOs, of a server going down so catastrophically that it completely lost characters and their progress. Realistically, you'll likely move on before the game passes away.

I also don't see lost progress as a good argument against sub vs F2P MMOs. If it's possible for one, it's possible for the other and probably more likely for a F2P that can't sustain itself.

I played WoW for a few years and spent a chunk of money every month on it. I walked away from it but I don't feel that it was money wasted any more than I feel money I spent to see a movie once was money wasted. I spent that money to enjoy something and I did. No regrets.