Thread: I had this Fantasy one time..

Default I had this Fantasy one time..

Okay.. I just started playing VIII again. I know, I know, I hate the little thing, but still. Driven to play it by the suicidal part of me. Anyways.. I always had this little thought about VIII that always got to me..

What if a majority of the game was just.. School days like? I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but I am. Like. The school is training them to be warriors, or mercenaries or Sorceress Slayers, but instead of traversing the world most of the game, having the Garden being your Home Base or something? Like.. A beaming system! And the game was kinda mission based.. I dunno, just a weird thought of mine. I was always fascinated with Garden and was always sad that I didn't get as much as Garden as I had wanted.. So..

Thoughts?

"One does not simply choose between Black and White magic."
    Awesome picture courtesy of Lockharted. Thank you!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Definitely think that Garden is a concept that could've been used better. The fact that you have a SeeD rank and can go up or down kind of hints at what could've been, but at the same time, I'm not at all unhappy with what we did get.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Maybe not as a Final Fantasy game but if Square-Enix made something like this for a new JRPG game it could be interesting.

The concept of the Garden as a combat school was heavily influential in Final Fantasy Type-0's design. Class Zero is very much an expansion and fleshed out version of Balamb's SeeD program. If you liked the concept, look into the game some, especially since Square recently decided to talk about the possibility of the US release.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I, too, would have liked to have seen more development with the Garden scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    The concept of the Garden as a combat school was heavily influential in Final Fantasy Type-0's design. Class Zero is very much an expansion and fleshed out version of Balamb's SeeD program. If you liked the concept, look into the game some, especially since Square recently decided to talk about the possibility of the US release.
    And.. Going to look into it right now. There are two concepts in VIII I wish were expanded on, and Garden is one of them. If Type-0 manages to do this AND snatch an English release, I'll be preordering it as soon as I can.

"One does not simply choose between Black and White magic."
    Awesome picture courtesy of Lockharted. Thank you!