Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FF X|X-2 HD English Drama Scene Settles Pronunciation Debate

Quote Originally Posted by comma View Post
    It's not exactly dubbing if they're just replacing audio files. It's called voice acting.
    So?

Quote Originally Posted by comma View Post
    And there's no way they're going to redo the voice acting. It's incredibly expensive and time consuming.
    ...Well, they just lost my money, then. If they aren't going to provide a quality product, why should I buy it?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Cause FFX is amazing?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Cause FFX is amazing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    ...Well, they just lost my money, then. If they aren't going to provide a quality product, why should I buy it?
    You lost me at not a quality product.

They're updating two PS2 games to HD graphics in one of the most extensive updates I've ever seen, for the cost of less than one game. They're releasing the international versions with content never before seen in NA. And they're including a new half-hour audio drama. This is a quality product. Stop whining about your unrealistic wish not being granted.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I don't even have an issue with the voice acting esp. considering it was the first FF game with it in there.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

In the second image, it looks like Yuna has plaited her pubes.

Blog Entries

Ooh, HD flesh.

"Teedus" is certainly better than "him" and "you know who"

We all hope to god this drama thing doesn't suck.

I'm just thankful his name isn't spelt or pronounced as Titus. We wouldn't want that, now would we..?

"One does not simply choose between Black and White magic."
    Awesome picture courtesy of Lockharted. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    I grew up saying "Tydus" myself, but calling him "Teedus" isn't going to be hard for me. Know why? Because this debate is smurfING. STUPID.
    I think the reason why people get up in arms about it is because those of us that pronounced it 'Tydus' (me included) are a bit shocked and in disbelief when we find out we have been pronouncing it wrong for over ten years. But, if they just used his name from the beginning in the game, it wouldn't be an issue: we would have thought "oh ok, it's pronounced 'Tee-dus.' Anyway, moving on...." I'd say it's more startling than anything else.

That said, I do like the reasoning of 'person #1' in your post.
    Pray to Yu Yevon. Dream, fayth. Forever and ever, grant us prosperity.

I always assumed it was "ee" simply because that's how one pronounces "i" in Japan.

Are you smurfing kidding me? Tee-doos? That's smurfing stupid. It's Tidus, TYDUS, not tee-doos. That doesn't even make sense.

You don't pronounce Tiny as Tee-ny. Or Tide as te-ed. Or Tiger as Te-ger.

smurfing Squenix

Quote Originally Posted by Nebulance View Post
    I grew up saying "Tydus" myself, but calling him "Teedus" isn't going to be hard for me. Know why? Because this debate is smurfING. STUPID.
    I think the reason why people get up in arms about it is because those of us that pronounced it 'Tydus' (me included) are a bit shocked and in disbelief when we find out we have been pronouncing it wrong for over ten years. But, if they just used his name from the beginning in the game, it wouldn't be an issue: we would have thought "oh ok, it's pronounced 'Tee-dus.' Anyway, moving on...." I'd say it's more startling than anything else.

Actually, had they pronounced it from the start, it would have upset me far more than the current pronunciation debate.

His name isn't "Tidus", it's whatever the heck I make it. What should I care how the default name is pronounced when I never leave names default?

As for Tidus, most people simply pronounced it in the way that is correct, phonetically, for the spelling in their region. And, for a lot of people, that isn't Tee-dus. If the designers want things pronounced a certain way, they either need a pronunciation guide somewhere (in the instruction manual, maybe), or they need to spell things the way they sound.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

Actually, had they pronounced it from the start, it would have upset me far more than the current pronunciation debate.

His name isn't "Tidus", it's whatever the heck I make it. What should I care how the default name is pronounced when I never leave names default?

As for Tidus, most people simply pronounced it in the way that is correct, phonetically, for the spelling in their region. And, for a lot of people, that isn't Tee-dus. If the designers want things pronounced a certain way, they either need a pronunciation guide somewhere (in the instruction manual, maybe), or they need to spell things the way they sound.
    well, not everyone changes the name -- I didn't. I think on one playthrough I did. I think it's a perfectly valid question for people to have, concerning the proper (or I guess, preferred) pronunciation of one of the main characters names.
    Pray to Yu Yevon. Dream, fayth. Forever and ever, grant us prosperity.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

well, not everyone changes the name -- I didn't. I think on one playthrough I did. I think it's a perfectly valid question for people to have, concerning the proper (or I guess, preferred) pronunciation of one of the main characters names.
    He is what you name him.

Whether you leave it default or not, you named him. So your pronunciation is correct. Did you name him "Tidus" (pronounced Tie-Dus) or "Tidus" (pronounced Tee-Dis)? Or some other pronunciation? It's your name, pronounce it how you like.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.