Thread: FF X|X-2 HD English Drama Scene Settles Pronunciation Debate

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Default FF X|X-2 HD English Drama Scene Settles Pronunciation Debate

ffxhdremaster.png

Square Enix released a video of Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remasters new Audio drama in english this time! With Tidus's voice actor. As we mentioned before, this new drama will come at the end of FFX and FFX-2 in the new HD remaster. Written by Kazushige Nojima, this new 30 min drama will be entirely new to the series. Take a listen!

We heard his name pronounced as Teedus before in Kingdom Hearts but now from this official audio drama we have it confirmed. Sorry Tydus fans, it's Teedus. (I'm a tydus girl myself).

There were also some screenshots released along with the video. It seems that the battle menu has been overhauled. It looks all new and shiny.

More screenshots can be found at the Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2 Square Enix pages.

The soundtrack has also been mostly reworked. Over 60 songs on Final Fantasy X have been rearranged and optimized for High Definition audio. Which is 2/3 of the soundtrack. That's a lot of remastering.

And don't forget that in Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD remaster there will be trophies you can win. Such as switching to a dresssphere in the middle of battle or even getting a weapon damage hit of 99,999 among many others.

So what do you think of the official pronunciation of Teedus? What do you think of the remastered images? Are you excited for the new Audio drama?

TEEDUS!
    Last edited by Freya; 08-17-2013 at 05:50 PM.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

dat belly
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

^__^

Someone's been working on their belly in the gym.

I grew up saying "Tydus" myself, but calling him "Teedus" isn't going to be hard for me. Know why? Because this debate is smurfING. STUPID. After doing some poking around and lurking on other FF-related message boards for the past few months, hoping to find some news regarding the HD remasters, the name debate continues to be one of the most discussed things among FFX fans, and I don't get why people have such passionate opinions on such a trivial topic, especially when it comes to a character that everyone is so vocal about hating.

The debates usually go something like this:

1: It's Teedus! 'Cuz they said so on Kingdom Hearts, and Tidus is the romanized version of the Okinawan word, "Tida" which means sun and "Yuna" means moon, which reflects their respective sigils!

2: Nuh-uh, cause I grew up saying Tydus and plus in KH2 they said "Tydus" so I can call him whatever I want, even if the new voice drama says "Teedus!" That just sounds dumb.

1: Then you're a moron!

2: No you!

God, I wish Square had just never given us the option to name him; that way, people would've pronounced his name correctly and this debate wouldn't have emerged. Plus, the game's constant references to Tidus as "hey you!", "the new guy," etc. are doubly annoying.

Titus Andronicus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is what I think of when I hear "Titus."

I think a lot of people think of the tides, like water, when they pronounce it "TIE-duss."
    Last edited by Spooniest; 08-18-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Did the remastered version change Tidus' laugh?

i hope so there only 1 thing missing Arelese date

It could certainly stand to be redubbed. I hope they do, I might give this a shot if the dub is any good this time.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    God, I wish Square had just never given us the option to name him; that way, people would've pronounced his name correctly and this debate wouldn't have emerged. Plus, the game's constant references to Tidus as "hey you!", "the new guy," etc. are doubly annoying.
    THIS. And then in FFX-2 where Yuna just keeps referring to Tidus as "him."
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

hnnnnngh hi def Rikku

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Changing that would mean it's no longer possible to give him a custom name, though.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Changing that would mean it's no longer possible to give him a custom name, though.
    That's fine by me. I hated that you could only change his name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Actually the correct pronunciation is "Tee-doos".

/settled

/hides XD

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    It could certainly stand to be redubbed. I hope they do, I might give this a shot if the dub is any good this time.
    It's not exactly dubbing if they're just replacing audio files. It's called voice acting. And there's no way they're going to redo the voice acting. It's incredibly expensive and time consuming.

Blog Entries

We heard his name pronounced as Teedus before in Kingdom Hearts but now from this official audio drama we have it confirmed.
    Pretty sure it was confirmed in the ~*~SPECIAL BONUS DVD~*~ that came with the original game, though this might have been a PAL only thing.