Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: People's appaling lack of manners

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

People who cut in line. This Australian tourist bitch cut me because I took too long (a few seconds) to go up to the cash register. I just let her go because unlike her I am patient and can wait for one person to go in front of me.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I really wish people would stop merging onto the expressway at 40mph or below. It's very dangerous and frankly rude. If you are afraid of driving on the expressway, just take the longer route and leave the faster driving to those of us who understand how the system works.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    I really wish people would stop merging onto the expressway at 40mph or below. It's very dangerous and frankly rude. If you are afraid of driving on the expressway, just take the longer route and leave the faster driving to those of us who understand how the system works.
    I think you might be committing (no offense intended) the fundamental attribution error.

You're automatically attributing someone's actions to their personality, rather than considering their circumstances. That's not saying that their actions might not be a result of their personality (being afraid to drive on the expressway), but the likelihood of it being entirely due to personality is actually not quite so high. It's more likely that it's a combination of aspects of their personality and the circumstances they are faced with.

Basically, they might be driving at 40mph because they have no power steering, or maybe aren't sure where they're going. But the point is, you don't have any evidence of what other drivers are thinking, and you don't have any knowledge of their circumstances, so you're making the mistake of blaming their mistake on them, personally.

Otherwise known as the fundamental attribution error.

Spooniest explains the joke:By the way, I don't really think people have bad manners...I was playing Cyan Garamonde...

Articles
    Blog Entries

No, I'm pretty sure they are merging slowly because they're booger heads that can't stop farting because they think that makes the car get better mileage.

Also, I understand that not every person who does that is afraid of driving. I don't literally think every driver that merges slowly is afraid of the expressway. The "body language" of such an action makes it seem that way, hence my mini rant.

Also, I understand that not every person who does that is afraid of driving.
    I didn't say that you didn't; I only said you might not.

I don't literally think every driver that merges slowly is afraid of the expressway. The "body language" of such an action makes it seem that way, hence my mini rant.
    ...Eh...calling it "body language" is a bit of a stretch to me...there's almost no communication possible on the expressway. There's just no time. Blinkers, brake lights, horns and high-beams are all we got.

But maybe I better make it more clear that I don't mean to put you personally on the spot. It's just an interesting aspect of people's psychology that your post reminded me of.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    Also, I understand that not every person who does that is afraid of driving.
    I didn't say that you didn't; I only said you might not.

I don't literally think every driver that merges slowly is afraid of the expressway. The "body language" of such an action makes it seem that way, hence my mini rant.
    ...Eh...calling it "body language" is a bit of a stretch to me...there's almost no communication possible on the expressway. There's just no time. Blinkers, brake lights, horns and high-beams are all we got.

But maybe I better make it more clear that I don't mean to put you personally on the spot. It's just an interesting aspect of people's psychology that your post reminded me of.
    It's all good, I guess I wanted to make clear that my post wasn't meant to be taken as me being bitter, just annoyed at peoples lack of safety when merging into an area with high speeds.

But I do have to say I believe in the "body language" of a car. I can totally tell that someone is nervous when merging when I see their brake lights go on and off every couple of moments when they aren't even close to the end of the ramp! There are other things that give me a pretty good indication of what a driver might be thinking, but I am at work, and I don't want to derail the thread any further!
    Last edited by Sephex; 08-20-2013 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typo. see, told you I was at work.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

An experienced driver can easily tell what the drivers around him are planning to do based on the "body language" they display, so yeah. "Car language" is an observable thing, and merging into a high speed lane at a low speed is really, obscenely smurfing dangerous.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Trying to merge onto the motorway at well below the speed limit is smurfing dangerous. To be fair though, what is just as dangerous and possibly even ruder is not moving over (if possible) so they can merge. I've had this problem a fair bit lately where people will just adjust their speed so they block me from being able to merge. There is a smurfing difference between a merging lane and a straight up "give way" you ass hats.

Also Shiny I am sorry you met a rude Australian. Rude Australians are like some of the worst people man, depending on the severity they can be smurfing nazi level pricks.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

I agree that merging onto the freeway too slowly is a bad move, but remember, people:

Driving is extremely dangerous.

You can't hate the frightened for not being as brave as you are.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Dude.

You know whats rude, telling people what you think is wrong with them. I know more about my health than you, stop telling me how you think i should treat my health. All the doctor visits I personally have been to have myself more well versed in it than some random person who hears me cough. No I dont care if you read blah does blah.

Invading my personal issues with your opinion on however i am is rude and none of your business! People, ugh. so nosey.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Dude.

You know whats rude, telling people what you think is wrong with them. I know more about my health than you, stop telling me how you think i should treat my health. All the doctor visits I personally have been to have myself more well versed in it than some random person who hears me cough. No I dont care if you read blah does blah.

Invading my personal issues with your opinion on however i am is rude and none of your business! People, ugh. so nosey.
    Oh my god, so much this. Because of my CF I cough A LOT. And people always feel the need to give me advice about how to stop coughing. NO IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY I WILL HAVE THIS COUGH UNTIL I DIE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Seriously! Like "I read that if you drink warm tea before you go to bed, you'll cough less!" Really? you think if that worked I would have spent thousands of dollars on doctor related stuff instead $5 for some tea bags? REALLY?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

RIGHT? Or telling me to get a dehumidifier. Or if I drink enough water I won't cough that much. Or, or, or.

I just tell people it's allergies these days. Way less questions and advice from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

Hey Jinxy.

(SPOILER)Drink warm tea.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    RIGHT? Or telling me to get a dehumidifier. Or if I drink enough water I won't cough that much. Or, or, or.

I just tell people it's allergies these days. Way less questions and advice from them.
    You should see a doctor about those allergies.