holy trout Jiro

mind asplode
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I like to imagine that no one bothered to remember his name.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by comma View Post
    I didn't find the comment condescending, just the fact that you keep crossing out my name.
    Well that was the point I was trying illustrate; your name could appear there in text and be unspoken and there wouldn't be any kind of weird pause. It flows naturally, but still allows the player to read the name. Having a character who is named but whose name is never used or mentioned or referenced in any way would be super unnerving in its own way.

Again, I wasn't trying to be a , it was just to illustrate my point.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

I know, I was just kidding, but I don't think it illustrates your point very well. If my name weren't there, it'd just be a blank space and would seem unnatural. You could have easily avoided using my name in any of those instances, or simply used the second-person pronoun, like they did in FFX.

I didn't find the comment condescending, just the fact that you keep crossing out my name.

No, I haven't played Persona. I don't see why it's better to insert a pause where a person's name should be than to just say "hey bud" or "there's our guy" whenever talking to someone. Like you said, you usually don't use a person's name when talking directly to them, so why is it bad to just use pronouns like FFX?
    Partially, it's bad writing. Especially in X-2. While you don't use names a lot when talking to someone, you do when talking about them, and they stretched things really far in X-2 by not knowing how to work around that.

Now go play a Persona game so you can have a better example of Jiro's point. They're great games anyway, so it's not as though its a disappointment.

And I do think it helps immersion to have your character mentioned by name, even if it is not in the voice acting. Heck, X and X-2 both had unvoiced lines which could have used his name. Missed opportunities.

I would play Persona. I've thought about it. What should I play?

I have PS3 and PSP. PS2, too, but it's far away right now.

I would play Persona. I've thought about it. What should I play?

I have PS3 and PSP. PS2, too, but it's far away right now.
    Persona 3 FES or Persona 4 are the two to play on the PS2.

I personally love Persona 3 Portable for the PSP, but some people get turned off by the lack of a 3D overworld for the town exploration.

If you can play PS2 games, play Persona 3 FES, and if you like that, go buy a Vita to play Persona 4 Golden.

/thread hijack

Hijack schmijack, this is all in the name of exploring the possible alternatives to avoiding Tidus' name. Completely on-topic.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm really tempted to bring my PS2 here and get that, not to mention it'd mean I can finally finish FFXII. But soon I'd have PS2, PS3, and PS4 hooked up to the same TV, and that's kind of silly.

Articles
    Blog Entries

*claps* Clever, clever, Jiro.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Mind = blown.

Clever.

I always thought the reason you were allowed to name Tidus and only Tidus was because he was the character that the player would learn about the world of Spira through and relate to. Both Tidus and the player are equally unfamiliar with Spira at the beginning of the game, and you learn things about it as he does. Naming him kind of makes him more like your own personal avatar for exploring the in-game world.